DTS:X Surround Music - Any news on future releases?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomerJAU

Moderator: MCH Media Players
Staff member
I read that the new DTS:X Object based surround codec/decoders will 'upmix' 5.1 to anything up to 11.2, which may make it somewhat compatible with my existing quad and 5.1 collection.

Having read about DTS:X encoded source material and its ability to precisely localise a sound/instrument in 3D space, I'm intrigued to when we will see/hear dedicated encoded music releases. Any rumours or news on this or Dolby Atmos encoded music releases?

I read that the new DTS:X Object based surround codec/decoders will 'upmix' 5.1 to anything up to 11.2, which may make it somewhat compatible with my existing quad and 5.1 collection.

Having read about DTS:X encoded source material and its ability to precisely localise a sound/instrument in 3D space, I'm intrigued to when we will see/hear dedicated encoded music releases. Any rumours or news on this or Dolby Atmos encoded music releases?

Oh yes, The Beatles are releasing 1+ in 11.2 so now we can get 9 channels of echo and 2 overblown LFE channels. :mad:@:

These new object based '3D' sound platforms (DTS:X, Dolby Atmos and Auro 3D) aren't bound by the number of channels/speakers. As I understand it each sound exists on its own (not mixed with other sounds and assigned to, say, Front Left, or Rear Left etc as current surround codecs do.

The sound 'object' (e.g. A guitar) has information about where it should be heard in 3D space and when played back the sound is placed (or panned) to that position based on your current speaker positions at time of playback. So 4.0.0, 5.1, 7.1, 10.1 etc will just expand the sound field for a more discrete effect.

I have the Mando Daio Auro 3D BDA but my new amp (Denon X7200A) doesn't have the Auro option enabled. Not sure if I will pay to enable it with just one title, but I will upgrade the amp to DTS:X when it is released soon (firmware update only). I also have a set of Snell 5.1 speakers from my previous HT system in my garage so I plan to try the upmix feature on existing multichannel material and will report back.

These new neural based 3D up-mix algorithms are Far superior to the Dolby Surround and DTS Neo 'matrix' based systems from the 20th century.

Roger Waters The Wall BDV will have a Dolby Atmos track - That will be my first music test. (Time to pull out the old speakers soon)

There have already been a few Blueray-Audio discs released in the Auro system of classical music.

So my Denon X7200WA will get its DTS:X firmware update in about a week. So I was excited about trying out DTS Neural:X which is included, this is the new/modern version of the original DTS Neo stereo up-mixing to surround technology. (Like Dolby's old matrix style tech to derive a surround field from stereo).

Anyway, news filtering through just now says DTS Neural:X won't process PCM signals only DTS stereo signals. WTF? All my disc collection is digitised to FLAC (PCM) and hundreds of my original stereo only discs are not DTS. Looks like first gen equip is not ready for us yet.

incidentally, DTS:X and Neural X can't process DTS-MA over 48kHz either... I hope this news does not turn out to be fact. This could have been great technology. Maybe the early AVR processors are just under powered for the complex math?

Great news. I've just been informed DTS Neural:X will work with PCM stereo and PCM multichannel inputs!

Also it will handle 88.2 and 96kHz (but with Audessy room correction enabled, everything is down sampled to 48k - so experimentation is called for.

The DTS:X upgrade goes live on Jan. 28 (free download direct to the Denon)

I've just found out that there is a new DTS Blu-ray Demonstration Disc 20 coming with eight songs mixed in DTS:X, DTS Headphone:X and DTS-HD MA 7.1. There's two songs by Imagine Dragons and one of them, Shots, is also available as a promo video for DTS Headphone:X here. It sure sounds good, but not a real competition for proper surround formats IYAM...

Ohh! Wouldn't it by great if DTS released a DTS:X mixed surround music series as they did with DTS-CDs in the early days of DTS!!

Lossless BDs with object based surround. That would be sensational :banana:

These new neural based 3D up-mix algorithms are Far superior to the Dolby Surround and DTS Neo 'matrix' based systems from the 20th century.

I have always been put off by any faux surround tech that has been around. 5.1 discrete mixing works for me. However, I am always hopeful since I believe in the power of Technology & innovation. So I hope this new tech can give us a better "matrix" type effect for 2.0 music.

@HomerJ: I admire your enthusiam and I hope new tech like ATMOS has a future, but I personally see it as too demanding hardware wise. It is so hard to get people to install 5 speakers in their house. ATMOS requires more speakers and new types of speakers at that. No doubt there will be a market at the top end, where $$ is no object. But.. like Steven Wilson said; he has a hard enough time convincing record labels to do a simple 5.1 remix...

But here comes this:

http://fudzilla.com/news/mobile/39786-lenovo-k5-note-officially-out
(This is an AWESOME phone for the money..In a few years spending $800 on an iPhone will be so over with. The sub $200 phone market is exploding.)

A sub $200 phone with ATMOS built in! Now all we need are those ATMOS enabled headphones. (y)

I'm hoping the new up-mixing tech will improve on the old, regardless of the number of speakers.

I'm more interested in what DTS:X and Neural:X will do as I understand it's a different technology than Atmos. I believe Atmos is mixed at the studio to 'speakers' whereas the DTS versions do the mixing 'live' based on the number of channels at playback.

I should get the firmware update tonight so I'll give it a whirl tomorrow.

Edit: The new firmware is updating now! (Takes an hour apparently...)

I'm hoping the new up-mixing tech will improve on the old, regardless of the number of speakers.

I'm more interested in what DTS:X and Neural:X will do as I understand it's a different technology than Atmos. I believe Atmos is mixed at the studio to 'speakers' whereas the DTS versions do the mixing 'live' based on the number of channels at playback.

I should get the firmware update tonight so I'll give it a whirl tomorrow.

As far as upmixing and surround simulations, I eagerly await for the real deal to arrive. I do think we have a far better chance now with computer chips being engraved in the single digits of nano-meters. Semi-conducter makers like Marvel who specialize in embedded processors can now make parts much cheaper that can handle the workload needed for audio uber-processing.

http://fudzilla.com/news/processors/39735-intel-s-10nm-set-for-2017

I personally think that the recent graduation to 14/16 nm manufacturing(along with 3D transistors) is gonna rock our world.Ten billion or more transistors can now be put on a chip w/low power req. and that is getting into "super-computer" territory, which is frankly what is needed to deliver all the time-delay audio cues and all what is just software "magic" that Dolby & modern sound engineers are doing. It was just not practical to do even a few years ago with silicon.

Lenovo being able to handle ATMOS on a cheap smartphone is an example of what I'm on about.

For me, its all about getting my pre-fm quad mix of YES live in 1974 to sound like I'm in the stadium.:smokin

Exciting times for sure.

Please keep us informed of your experience with the new formats.(y)

Last edited:
I have my new rears temporarily wired and tried the new Neural:X on the Denon to mix both stereo and existing 5.1 to 7.1. I didn't get a chance to recalibrate the speaker levels. (I'm off on holiday tomorrow and a bit busy to have time for that yet).

First impressions: The DTS Neural:X stereo to 7.1 volume is lower than the standard 7.1 upmix from Denon, but it seemed to do a pretty good job. I need to do more detailed listening after speaker level calibration to give a definitive opinion...

I listened to Eagles Hell Freezes Over DVD 5.1 to 7.1 and I'd have to say it's never sounded better, of course part of that was having new rears with better bass response. But if this is what I'm going to get I am very happy.

I also need to set the new rears so that they are being used for quad sources, currently the system still wants to use my 'sides'. So I have some playing around to do when I get home and will update here then.

Hey m8,

Thanks for the update.

Could you possibly upload a picture of the entire room? I am curious to see how you placed your 7 speakers and where the listening area is.

@the group:

this seems to be a great site to host photos for usage here in the forum:

http://postimage.org/

... Could you possibly upload a picture of the entire room? I am curious to see how you placed your 7 speakers and where the listening area is.

@the group:

this seems to be a great site to host photos for usage here in the forum:

http://postimage.org/

I'm interstate at the moment so will do once I return.

Thanks for the tip to host photos

Back