Dutton Vocalion & Dutton Epoch Surround Sound SACDs (Gerhardt Soundtracks, A Little Night Music, Classical) (Sept 2018)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't exactly classify the two Charles Gerhardt Film Series [Citizen Kane/Franz Waxman] titles as 'Easy Listening' but if you have the slightest interest in classic film scores, these two discrete beauties are worth checking out, IMO.

Thanks, I'll consider them. I find my self buying music beyond my wheelhouse(DVD-A) if it is surround.

Thanks, I'll consider them. I find my self buying music beyond my wheelhouse(DVD-A) if it is surround.

I have both of those film classics on BD~A [courtesy of HDTT from Dolby 7 1/2 inch open reel QUAD tapes] and they really are quite spectacular ..... and very discrete. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I'll have to get it first - probably ordering this weekend. There's some reviews of the stereo version here: http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=208066

HDTT also has a writeup on their release of Nevsky: https://www.highdeftapetransfers.co...sky-eugene-ormandy-the-philadelphia-orchestra

I forgot I do have the HDTT BD~A 4.0 of Alexander Nevsky and am playing it NOW. Excellent and discrete, as well. I know a LOT of QQ posters have knocked the integrity of whether HDTT Tracks is a legitimate company but I will say, they do an awesome job transferring those older chestnuts to digital mediums from Open Reel Tapes [most especially the Dolby b encoded QUAD Open Reels]. Sunset Blvd and the Citizen Kane HDTT transfers are likewise exceptional and highly recommended.

I did notice the two reviews posted at HDTT Tracks were both 5 star reviews.....couldn't agree more.

I forgot I do have the HDTT BD~A 4.0 of Alexander Nevsky and am playing it NOW. Excellent and discrete, as well. I know a LOT of QQ posters have knocked the integrity of whether HDTT Tracks is a legitimate company but I will say, they do an awesome job transferring those older chestnuts to digital mediums from Open Reel Tapes [most especially the Dolby b encoded QUAD Open Reels]. Sunset Blvd and the Citizen Kane HDTT transfers are likewise exceptional and highly recommended.

I did notice the two reviews posted at HDTT Tracks were both 5 star reviews.....couldn't agree more.
I am curious how this will compare to the HDTT quad that you have. I have the Nevsky SACd with Thomas Schippers in quad, has been a favorite of mine, though it has been a while since I heard it.

I am curious how this will compare to the HDTT quad that you have. I have the Nevsky SACd with Thomas Schippers in quad, has been a favorite of mine, though it has been a while since I heard it.

The HDTT transfers are from Dolby b encoded 7 1/2 ips commercial tapes. I imagine the D~V transfers are from 15 ips QUAD masters and should sound significantly better. The added Lieutenant Kijé Suite Op. 60 is a nice bonus.
Lieutenant Kijé – Suite, Op. 60
8. i The Birth of Kijé GJ
9. ii Romance RS
10. iii Kijé’s Wedding
11. iv Troika
12. v The Burial of Kijé GJ

Last edited:
I don't think the Schippers was an actual quad? It was originally released on LP in 1962: https://www.discogs.com/Prokofiev-L...-Director-New-York-Philharmon/release/4443555

Ordered this along with the Rubinstein, the soundtrack records, and three albums I've had on my waitlist for a while - Poco, Guess Who, and Rick Derringer. We'll see how they sound.

Somewhere I read, the masters were quad (CBS recording ?), though it was never released in quad. My knowledge on this is very poor. I will read the booklet tonight and see if it says anything.

I checked the liner notes and can't find any mention of quad or multichannel recording, only mention I find is a credit for multichannel mix. Thus at this point , I must assume that this is most likely a two channel recording with simulated surround channels. I will listen to it one of these days again.

Wow, Can't believe I received ALL FIVE today from the UK [placed order September 13th]. Only one cracked case which was the post office's fault. Luckily, it didn't affect the liner notes or disc and was easily replaced.

The Charles Gerhardt "Citizen Kane" disc will blow you away from just the opening ultra discrete burst of orchestral brilliance. Rosebud never had it so good!

Again, Thank you Michael Dutton for making my day [again].

The Alexander Nevsky disc is positively thrilling. Strong, powerful and well, breathtaking!

7362s.jpg

Got polls up for "Sunset Boulevard", "Citizen Kane", and "A Little Night Music"

:)

thanks for adding these QQ Polls, Ryan. also, thanks to DV for doing these on SACD! these three titles came up for sale but never appealed to me musically back when i was hoovering up old Quad records and tapes but wow did I clearly pass up some great surround stuff! its a joy to hear it at last and find out what i was missing! that Citizen Kane disc in particular has some fab Quad mixes on it, some of the White Witch Doctor tracks are mind-boggling!! o_O even the newly mixed bonus track is surround-y cool and fits in nicely with the rest of the original Quad album, i love it! :love:

Discrete.
It really is - gave it a listen today. Far more discrete than a classical recording you'd hear today. In my opinion this is the new top choice in surround for Alexander Nevsky Cantata, and it's a really good performance to boot. Reiner's famous account in Living Stereo (only on AP SACD) is plagued by terrible balances in the 3-channel mix - I suspect it was never meant to be heard like that. And in any case Reiner uses an english translation for some of the movements, which doesn't work that well for me. Slatkin's quad mofi version is fine, but neither the performance nor the acoustics (nor the mix) are as good/interesting) in my opinion. Schippers is good in what I believe is a surround mix sourced from 2 or 3 channel master tapes, but it's not real surround. The only real competition in my opinion is Naxos's DVD-Audio from a dozen years back with modern forces - the acoustics are better but it's much less discrete and the playing isn't quite as good in my opinion.
6133itW7ZIL.jpg

Back