Dutton Vocalion Surround SACD Orders Sent by Royal Mail & Ascendia

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both ImportCDs and D-V use a similar packing method, where sticky corrugated material is used as the only packing/padding material. I'm not a fanatic about cracked cases (as long as it's not falling apart I don't care), but the method is obviously inferior to the method used by Amazon and other sellers, who use mailers with bubble padding or proper boxes.

However, since I'm guessing D-V has already invested capitol in this shipping technology, I'd rather they used the money it would take to retool on more releases and not worry much about it.

I give DV and Importcds a lot of latitude due to the price...I'd rather do that than pay more for the "boutique" experience at acoustic sounds..I really wish they would have the cardboard cases instead of the jewel cases..they won't break and take less space on my shelves....I must say that Music Direct does a nice job and they offer free shipping at the $49 pricepoint....which works for me as I can usually find 2 titles I want...Elusive Disc is reasonable to ship...starts at $4.72...which is fair...

I give DV and Importcds a lot of latitude due to the price...I'd rather do that than pay more for the "boutique" experience at acoustic sounds..I really wish they would have the cardboard cases instead of the jewel cases..they won't break and take less space on my shelves....I must say that Music Direct does a nice job and they offer free shipping at the $49 pricepoint....which works for me as I can usually find 2 titles I want...Elusive Disc is reasonable to ship...starts at $4.72...which is fair...

Agree.

BTW, Clint, for all those MoFi gatefold Mini LP discs, I find this el cheapo remedy from CDJapan indispensable to protect those discs http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEONAG-TS-508

Keeps those gatefold and single covers in pristine condition and adds NO bulk.

Will also fit those Analog Spark Mini LP discs as well [i.e. the new Todd Rundgren SACDs]

Agree.

BTW, Clint, for all those MoFi gatefold Mini LP discs, I find this el cheapo remedy from CDJapan indispensable to protect those discs http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEONAG-TS-508

Keeps those gatefold and single covers in pristine condition and adds NO bulk.

Will also fit those Analog Spark Mini LP discs as well [i.e. the new Todd Rundgren SACDs]

I transfer the discs to a plastic container when they arrive...what I'm talking about is when they are being shipped...I'd rather have cardboard than jewel case during shipping..

I admit...you all are killing me. I want my DV discs badly. I ordered mine back when y'all did and I'm still waiting. Yes, I opted for tracking. Yes, I can track them...but it's not that helpful. The last 3 days, it has said "in transit". I don't know what that means....

OK, I know what it means...but I have no clue where the shipment is. New York? Ohio? Indiana? Effingham Illinois? No clue.

:violin

I admit...you all are killing me. I want my DV discs badly. I ordered mine back when y'all did and I'm still waiting. Yes, I opted for tracking. Yes, I can track them...but it's not that helpful. The last 3 days, it has said "in transit". I don't know what that means....

OK, I know what it means...but I have no clue where the shipment is. New York? Ohio? Indiana? Effingham Illinois? No clue.

I'm in the same boat...but I've learned to just wait it out...the tracking they provide really doesn't track very much...about the only thing it does is confirm it was shipped...btw..I've always wanted to visit Effingham Illinois...I hear it's awesome this time of the year:fly:

My two Art Garfunkel titles arrived today in fine condition. Just starting to listen to Breakaway. Nice and discrete. Nice fidelity. Other than "My Little Town" I've never heard any of the music on this album before. I'm four songs in and so far, not bad. Pleasant enough soft rock. I like that he covered "I Believe", it's one of my favorite Stevie Wonder tunes. Although the amount of vibrato he's using on his voice on the beginning is really annoying overkill. We know you can sing Artie, you don't have to hit us over the head with it! :yikes

...Vocalion offer two shipping options, regular and tracked. For me in Canada, the regular service usually takes about 3-4 weeks. The tracked service is also effectively an expedited service, and it's about twice as fast - my last couple of shipments have arrived in 5-10 days...

For those of you who have ordered the Garfunkel SACD's, I placed my order using the "tracked" option on January 6. It arrived today January 25...Of course right after I nagged Simon at Vocalion to give me the tracking status because I was wondering where the shipment was.

I received my order of the January releases plus the Conniff Send in the Clowns TV Themes disc today, after about two and a half weeks. The discs were shipped in a bit of an odd corrugated cardboard container that had two ends horizontally sealed into one on the bottom. Unfortunately, both the Conniff and Garfunkel's Angel Clare have deep scratches on the back of the jewel cases, but it's nothing I can't live with, and I certainly prefer jewel cases to cardboard or mini-LP cases.

Two of the three jewel cases on mine arrived with cracked fronts. Fortunately I have a stock of spare cases. I wonder if the damage occurs during the shrinkwrapping process rather than shipping as the cardboard shipping box was in pristine condition.

I hear you. The 3 January discs are "In Transit" here as well.
I'm guessing delivery next week. Time will tell.

The good news is that would be a bit faster than the Chet Atkins SACD which took 26 days to arrive here.

My January discs arrived yesterday. I also bought the Mancini symphonic soul two fer so that's 4 discs in the corrugated cardboard mailer. No cracks in cases and ordered by regular delivery. Perhaps I can start listening this weekend........and wait for the February discs to be announced next week.

I hear you. The 3 January discs are "In Transit" here as well.
I'm guessing delivery next week. Time will tell.

The good news is that would be a bit faster than the Chet Atkins SACD which took 26 days to arrive here.

I should have ordered Chet Atkins...I wanted it...but I was cutting corners on total cost. Ugh. I will have it one way or another....

I purchased 3 on January 4th. I received them today, perfect condition. :banana:
And, I absolutely love Art Garfunkel - Breakaway. Sounds awesome to me!! His voice makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

I purchased 3 on January 4th. I received them today, perfect condition. :banana:
And, I absolutely love Art Garfunkel - Breakaway. Sounds awesome to me!! His voice makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

And you will absolutely love Angel Clare as well. Superb QUAD SACDs.

Hopefully, more will be announced in February. :banana::banana:

Received both Garfunkel SACD's yesterday. Sound great - which more than makes up for the two cracked cases! Oh well.....

Received both Garfunkel SACD's yesterday. Sound great - which more than makes up for the two cracked cases! Oh well.....

The Garfunkel SACDs arrived here OK. But there was some damage to the spine of the Lynn Anderson SACD.
The SACDs themselves are OK, that's the real bottom line. :)

Two of the three jewel cases on mine arrived with cracked fronts. Fortunately I have a stock of spare cases. I wonder if the damage occurs during the shrinkwrapping process rather than shipping as the cardboard shipping box was in pristine condition.

Simon from D-V's head of shipping emailed me this weekend about the reports of cracked cases, and I wanted to reproduce the part of his message that pertained specifically:

I’ve heard from one of our US customers that some sorting offices are using machines to divide them by the delivery destination and if they are uncalibrated extra pressure might be applied when sliding packages through. I’m not an expert and can’t imagine how those machines are looking like but that’s a statement from somebody having better knowledge than I do.

In addition to this we have rather low rate of damaged cases to Europe, Australia and Japan (and have many people thanking for this sort of packing) so that might be an issue.

He also said that he personally supervises the team that does all the packing, and that they don't send out any discs that have cracked cases. Obviously knowing where in the process the cases are getting cracked is kind of cold comfort if you're the one getting the cracked cases, but it seems it may be a USPS issue if anything. I don't know if anecdotal evidence is worth anything, but of all the discs I've had from D-V to me here in Canada over the last two years, I think only one or two has had a cracked case.

Back