DVD-A coming to Sony universal player. Yes, DVD-Audio!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like Best Buy has it in stock; other retailers will presumably follow.http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-ub...-blu-ray-player-black/5748620.p?skuId=5748620

Would I be totally crazy to consider using this instead of the Oppo 93? The ability to play back DSD files and the streaming capabilities are very intriguing. Not sure which would upscale DVDs better...

If you don't mind not having Multichannel Analogue outputs and you wish to save some money, the Sony could be tempting. As proud Oppo owner, I'd choose another Oppo product. It's a matter of what makes you happy in the end.

If you don't mind not having Multichannel Analogue outputs and you wish to save some money, the Sony could be tempting. As proud Oppo owner, I'd choose another Oppo product. It's a matter of what makes you happy in the end.

I don't care too much about particular brand, but I do take notice that the Oppo has worked without a single problem since I got it in pre-release. And I don't really need another disc spinner since I'm staying at 1080p. But it tempts me so, and it would be an economical transport for multichannel DSD downloads.

I don't care too much about particular brand, but I do take notice that the Oppo has worked without a single problem since I got it in pre-release. And I don't really need another disc spinner since I'm staying at 1080p. But it tempts me so, and it would be an economical transport for multichannel DSD downloads.

Ubertrout, I'm itching to pull the trigger on this new SONY and was looking for some on line reviews. All I could uncover is What Hi Fi's initial reaction [and MOSTLY speculation] regarding this player: http://www.whathifi.com/sony/ubp-x800/review

Ubertrout, I'm itching to pull the trigger on this new SONY and was looking for some on line reviews. All I could uncover is What Hi Fi's initial reaction [and MOSTLY speculation] regarding this player: http://www.whathifi.com/sony/ubp-x800/review

If I was you I would think twice. Sony is a whore. They fought over vhs-hd dvd and high res audio. One would think why not! They have capability to do dts hd, that is MLP! My opinion after owning both, Oppo and Sony, I woukld not put my money on Sony anymore. There was a time that I would not buy any video product other then, But, after owning Oppo, I won't buy any other brand again.

With much better streaming options than Oppo and half the price, it seems like they're really trying to take on Oppo head-on. If I had a 4K TV I'd buy this in a heartbeat.

Remember-you get what you pay for! There is a very good reason the Oppo is priced as it is. I would love to see Sony offer a CS as good as Oppo, Or a product.

If I was you I would think twice. Sony is a whore. They fought over vhs-hd dvd and high res audio. One would think why not! They have capability to do dts hd, that is MLP! My opinion after owning both, Oppo and Sony, I woukld not put my money on Sony anymore. There was a time that I would not buy any video product other then, But, after owning Oppo, I won't buy any other brand again.

While I agree, SONY doesn't have a great track record (and NO consumer support like OPPO's brilliant customer service department), I'd be using the SONY EXCLUSIVELY for my bedroom 4K/3D OLED set~up and NOT for serious music listening purposes....for that I'm investing in the OPPO 205 when it becomes available.

It would interesting to hear how this player does with Plain Jane redbook CD's. My Sony Blu-Ray player handles the high-res codecs well, but CD's don't sound so good. (Using the player's analog outputs.)

WOW...that WAS quick! I just received my SONY UBP~X800 4K Universal Player from Crutchfield. It was very securely packaged and was shipped FREE within 2 business days. And yes, it does include instructions to redeem two FREE 4K UHD movies from a list of 15 (via Sony's website).

When I have time to set it up and program it, I will offer first impressions.

I just got the UBP-X800. Everything was good until I tried to play Quadro-Surroundsound DVD-A discs. Not one of them I have would play. I would get a question mark in the disc icon in the main menu and when I pressed play I would get a message about unrecognizable disc. This happened for every disc Has anyone else here had this problem?

I just got the UBP-X800. Everything was good until I tried to play Quadro-Surroundsound DVD-A discs. Not one of them I have would play. I would get a question mark in the disc icon in the main menu and when I pressed play I would get a message about unrecognizable disc. This happened for every disc Has anyone else here had this problem?

Since I don't have any of those Quadro Surroundsound DVD~As, a quick question? Are they DVD~A R's or commercially duplicated DVD~As?

On pg. 30 of the instruction manual it does state that the unit should play DVD~R/DVD~RW but in footnote #4 it states:" Some DVD~Audio discs have hidden group and need password entry. Refer to the disc for the password." This is alien to me as I've never heard of a password entry for DVD~A. Perhaps a call to SONY can resolve this dilemma.

Another [albeit remote] possibility. Do these Quadro Surroundsound DVD~As contain any PAL material. DVD PAL (NOT BD~V) will play on the OPPOs but NOT on this SONY player....again, page 30 of the instruction manual.

Back