Dvd Audio Extractor Question or 2?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After looking, the Parsons disks I have are actually called HDAD. They are in fact double sided with 24/96 on one side and 24/192 on the other. I think there may have been earlier versions which were only single sided 24/96 DAD.

After looking, the Parsons disks I have are actually called HDAD. They are in fact double sided with 24/96 on one side and 24/192 on the other. I think there may have been earlier versions which were only single sided 24/96 DAD.

One side is DVD-Video (24/96) the other side is DVD-Audio (24/192). Just pointing that out because it wasn't mentioned...

DVD AE for your DTS DVDs. Foobar2000 with its DTS Decoder component for DTS -CDs. I don’t know what a DAD disc iis? MakeMKV and Music Media Helper or Audiomuxer for BDs (MMH is faster than AM and can semi automatically tag the tracks for BDA albums)

Don't you just rip DTS CDs like a normal CD?

I've run into a snag trying to rip Chicago II DVD-A. I want the seven tracks of Ballet for a Girl in Buchannon combined into one file so that they play without gaps. Here are the screen shots. Any ideas as to why the program won't let me uncheck the box that says to put all chapters into individual files? I've tried reloading everything, changing the output format, etc. I've had the same issue with other DVD-A's but not DVD-V, so I suspect it has something ot do with MLP/DVD-A's. Thanks.

Update: I played the files from Ballet for a Girl in Buchannon with the Oppo set on "Gapless." It did indeed play the seven tracks without any gaps, not even a nanosecond...exactly as on the DVD-A. So no need to dump the files into Foobar2000, Audiomuxer, whatever, and wrap them again. Geez, I love this Oppo. :LB and DVD Audio Extractor too.

Yes. Foobar auto recognises the DTS encoding. I rip and convert (one process) to FLAC since everything else I have is in FLAC.

I was home for a little while and I tried ripping a DTS surround disc. Foobar gave me one choice for a rip, in WAV. I can't tell if it was the multi channel or the stereo, I'll have to play and listen. Also it had no tagging, blank artist and blank tracks.
I can tag thru JRiver which is pretty easy. The album was Eagles Hell Freezes Over 5.1.
How to I get from WAV to FLAC and how do I know without playing it ripped the MCH tracks?
I only have about 10 DTS surround discs, so I am not overly concerned.

I was home for a little while and I tried ripping a DTS surround disc. Foobar gave me one choice for a rip, in WAV. I can't tell if it was the multi channel or the stereo, I'll have to play and listen. Also it had no tagging, blank artist and blank tracks.
I can tag thru JRiver which is pretty easy. The album was Eagles Hell Freezes Over 5.1.
How to I get from WAV to FLAC and how do I know without playing it ripped the MCH tracks?
I only have about 10 DTS surround discs, so I am not overly concerned.
When I encountered this issue, I ripped the disc to wav, then used foobar to convert the wav files to flac... at that point you can tag with artwork, etc.

Yes. Foobar auto recognises the DTS encoding. I rip and convert (one process) to FLAC since everything else I have is in FLAC.

Pretty sure there's no recognizing going on was my point. You rip them like any other CD. You don't need any DTS components for the ripping.

When I encountered this issue, I ripped the disc to wav, then used foobar to convert the wav files to flac... at that point you can tag with artwork, etc.

Use the brilliant media helper tool for tagging. Just name the folder correctly and let the tool do the work!

OK, good news. The Foobar ripped the 5.1 from the disc, that is the most important. Now I just need to figure out Foobar to convert WAV to FLAC. Is there a certain tab on Foobar 2000?
And Himey I see an option for tagging called "freedb".
OK, back to re ripping the final 30 DVD-A 's from ogg to FLAC.

OK, good news. The Foobar ripped the 5.1 from the disc, that is the most important. Now I just need to figure out Foobar to convert WAV to FLAC. Is there a certain tab on Foobar 2000?
And Himey I see an option for tagging called "freedb".
OK, back to re ripping the final 30 DVD-A 's from ogg to FLAC.

Select all files, right click, convert! Make sure options are set correctly.

I have been using Audiomuxer lately for that but I used Foobar for many years previously.

Finally. After a few mistakes, biggest one was ripping about 40 discs to a ogg file instead of a FLAC file. I am done with my DVD-A and Dual Disc collection in surround.
I have one disc I can't rip, Porcupine Tree In Absentia (Japanese).
Deep Purple Strombridge after ripping twice the first track is sped up like Alvin and the chipmunks.
It has taken about 2 months to rip my SACD and DVD-A collection, and that is ripping every day, about 600 discs.
Next is ripping DTS, I only have about 12.
Then last is Blu Ray, about 50.
But first my Seagate 6TB external harddrive arrived and I am going to back up my Synology NAS.
It's a good feeling to have this accomplishment so far. 2 years in the making, lots of technical work, easier said then done for somebody like me.
My JRiver playback software is perfect in all aspects. Maybe not the cool skin of foobar, but functions flawless.
As I said on the ripping SACD via OPPO thread, thanks everybody here for helping me with DVD rips. No way could I have done it on my own.

Stormbringer was a b... to rip. I can't remember how I did it.
I think in the end I used VLC to transcode the wave files to get the correct speed :whistle:

FWIW, I'm convinced that DVDAE now does have the ability to rip DTS 96/24 accurately to WAV (i.e., not just upsampling). Here's a spectrogram of one channel of such a rip using the current version.

Attachments

• Untitled1.png
    Untitled1.png
    621.4 KB · Views: 97
Stormbringer was a b... to rip. I can't remember how I did it.
I think in the end I used VLC to transcode the wave files to get the correct speed :whistle:

I think AudioMuxer may have worked too? I just remember DVDAE struggling with it.

Also, the derived center channel on that one is maybe the worst example of a fake center in a quad mix I've ever seen. It's an identical copy of one of the fronts with a slight time-delay!

FWIW, I'm convinced that DVDAE now does have the ability to rip DTS 96/24 accurately to WAV (i.e., not just upsampling). Here's a spectrogram of one channel of such a rip using the current version.

My guess is that anything that can rip DTS will rip DTS9624 because 9624 was designed to "look like" normal DTS to older processors. The 9624 extension is only specifically processed by decoders that know what to do with it but will always come along for the ride.

Back