DVD-Audio - Format Details (extract from Sonic Manual)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a format that I've been using for several years to record large playlists called "Music DVD." AFAIK, it's stereo only, but the format claims that it can be played on any DVD-video player, and so far that seems to be the case, unless there's an incompatibility with -R and +R discs.

The disc contents have both audio and video stream folders, so it seems like it could be used for multi-channel audio, but that's just a first guess on my part. Does anyone have information regarding MC recording on Music DVDs?

What you are referring to are just video DVD's used for music files only. I used to use "Audio DVD Creator" which can store your files as PCM 48KHz 16bit or as AC3 2ch or 5.1 ch. It allowed me to copy a large number of CD's to one DVD disc. It would up convert the 44.1 sample rate to the DVD standard of 48KHz. Sadly the company appears to be out of business. I had to search for a serial number crack as I lost my original code. I was going to make some discs for use in my truck but I will have to bypass the parking brake wire first. They assume that DVD's are for movies which you aren't supposed to watch while driving, Duh!

I came upon another similar program from BlazeVideo "Music DVD Creator" which does PCM at 48 or 96KHz. I attempted to purchase a licence but after months of trying the outfit that processes the payments finally came back and said that they no longer process payments for that company! So they are no longer in business either! It didn't support multichannel anyway.

Roxio has a function as well that lets you burn audio to a DVD disc. As I recall it was stereo AC3 only.

Only DVD-Audio discs support files in the audio folder. Software for that is also rare or discontinued. DVD-Audio files will not play on a regular DVD-Video player.

I would be interested as well if anyone has any further information about modern software that supports audio only function on DVD especially high rez and multi-channel!

I used "Audio DVD Creator" also, I seem to recall it would do two channel at 96/24, but I had it on a Vista machine that had a mainboard failure. The downside for my discs and car player was that the player wouldn't remember where it left off after turning the car off and restarting. All other discs would start play where it was left off.

I used "Audio DVD Creator" also, I seem to recall it would do two channel at 96/24, but I had it on a Vista machine that had a mainboard failure. The downside for my discs and car player was that the player wouldn't remember where it left off after turning the car off and restarting. All other discs would start play where it was left off.

After much searching I found my original licence key. Previously I had found another key by doing an internet search. The Chrome browser tried to block it, same problem with downloading torrents. So I'm back to using Mozilla. I was having some other problem with Mozilla years ago and so had then switched to Chrome.

You are correct that it does 96/24 as well. I guess that I never used nor needed that feature years ago. As a test I burnt my six "James Gang" CDs and four "Joe Walsh" solo albums to one disc (48/16). I found that the program is a bit buggy, in fairness it's rather an old program designed for use on older computers. I had to learn it's quirks. You can load in .flac files but when you hit next the program will crash. You have to supply it with .wav files. Burning directly from the program didn't work so I saved the files first. For some reason I was having trouble burning a disc directly from the files so I used ImgBurn to create an .iso first.

I have a JVC deck in my truck, all it takes to defeat the "parking brake" is to ground the parking wire. I found that the deck restarts on the track that you were last listening to. Loading the disc takes quite a bit of time compared to loading a regular CD. Now I am painfully aware of just how bad the factory installed speakers are! While mainly listening to the radio I never cranked it up much. Now I need new speakers and maybe an amplifier and then will likely then also install my Roctron circle surround decoder. The positioning of the rear speakers are not ideal, but hopefully will still be OK.

I did another test disc at 96/24 but found that it only fits three albums. You can do 5.1 if you use AC3 but my JVC deck won't accept that.

I also have a Sony MEX deck that I could use in the truck but then I would lose Bluetooth capability. I personally don't care about Bluetooth but others in the family do use it. On the other hand the Sony does multi channel has a built in dolby decoder and high power audio output.

I used DVDLab Pro years ago to make audio only DVD's. Not a very friendly process, and to be honest it's been over a decade since I have. But I would use DTS for the surround.

AudioMuxer (free) will create a DVD .iso or an .MKV file using DTS files @ 48kHz if your car players will play DVD's & DTS.
I suppose you could rip the DTS files from a DVD using something like DVDAudioExtractor.

You can get AudioMuxer here:
https://www.surroundbyus.com/sbu/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=135#refdownload

Back