DVD-Audios Subsequently Reissued On SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LennonCobain

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
For the various DVD-Audio discs that have been reissued on SACD many years later, are there any sound quality differences with the 5.1 mixes? For example, do the Audio Fidelity (AF) SACDs sound less compressed or loud?

Some examples I am thinking of:
The Doors - Perception box set reissued as standalone SACDs by AF
America - Homecoming on AF SACD
Eagles - Hotel California reissued by Warner
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours reissued by Warner

I didn’t consider the Universal DVD-As like Beck - Sea Change that were multiple format almost simultaneously because I am assuming there were no differences beyond the disc format (please correct me if I am mistaken).

Thanks!

I don't think there should be any difference with the Doors DVD-A vs. SACD. I think the SACD liner notes actually say they were created from the 96/24 PCM files used for the Perception DVD-As.

In 2011, Warner Japan reissued several OOP 5.1 mixes that were previously available on DVD-A. The only one I have is The Nightfly (which sounds great), and I don't have the DVD-A to compare it against. Many of those old Warner DVD-As (Rumours, Hotel California, etc) do have louder mastering as that was SOP at the time, but I'd be surprised if that was corrected for the Japan SACDs.

Sea Change is an interesting one, it's said to have phase-inverted front channels on all versions except the HFPA Blu-Ray. I have the SACD and it sounds great.

I do have the Who's Tommy on both SACD and DVD-A, and they sound the same to me (and I prefer the newer 5.1 mix on Blu-Ray for that one anyway).

If you want a real interesting comparison....try the title Winelight...in both SACD and DVD-A...some members...like myself...fredblue and Jon thought the SACD sounded better...visit the surround poll and check out the comments...I'm not going down that road again...just throwing it out there for discussion(without me being involved)...

Back