DVD-V 5.1 Albums - What's Your Latest? NO Video DVD-V, DVD-A, Blu-Ray-A or SACD's

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Age Of Steam - Gerry Mulligan (5.1 Dolby Digital DVD-V)

hvF9bif.jpeg

brcOcb6.jpeg

Mahler, Symphony No. 5 + Ades, Asyla (Rattle, Berlin). DVD-V + DVD-A, both 48/24. I didn't really need yet another Mahler 5th, but I like Rattle's 10th, plus you get the Ades. And the price was right, so.... The video is artfully filmed, but the 5.1 mix amounts to fairly dull concert surround.

51c902auzkL._SY445_.jpg

This is my third copy. I got a promo LP when it was a new release. I also have a A&M/Horizon CD in a cardboard case. I found this one at Jazz Record Center in Manhattan in '07. Even before all the DVD goodness was added, this was and is one of my 100 favorite albums. Some great interviews on the making of a great jazz album.

hvF9bif.jpeg

brcOcb6.jpeg

hvF9bif.jpeg

brcOcb6.jpeg

would I rather this was a DVD-A? possibly.. hmm.. do you know, I'm not so sure! :p

as it is, it represents a really solid package imho, with a CD and a double-sided stuffed to the gills DVD disc with documentary, interviews, a masterclass, DVD-ROM content when you load it up on your computer, etc... oh and did I mention it has a great 5.1 remix!? :D

the next time somebody tries to tell you that Dolby Digital for 5.1 music is all the devil's own work,
sit them down and play them this and see if maybe they swallowed one placebo too many! ;)

seriously.. to me it sounds great and the mix is discrete to boot (which i wasn't expecting).. highly recommended to my fellow QQ-ers :upthumb

would I rather this was a DVD-A? possibly.. hmm.. do you know, I'm not so sure! :p

as it is, it represents a really solid package imho, with a CD and a double-sided stuffed to the gills DVD disc with documentary, interviews, a masterclass, DVD-ROM content when you load it up on your computer, etc... oh and did I mention it has a great 5.1 remix!? :D

the next time somebody tries to tell you that Dolby Digital for 5.1 music is all the devil's own work,
sit them down and play them this and see if maybe they swallowed one placebo too many!
;)

seriously.. to me it sounds great and the mix is discrete to boot (which i wasn't expecting).. highly recommended to my fellow QQ-ers :upthumb

Yep...when done properly Dolby Digital can be excellent....just another example:whistle:

sit them down and play them this and see if maybe they swallowed one placebo too many! ;)

Thanks to fredblue and Quad Linda for hepping me to this album. (Great tunes, great lineup. I had no idea there'd been a 5.1 release!)

Thanks to fredblue and Quad Linda for hepping me to this album. (Great tunes, great lineup. I had no idea there'd been a 5.1 release!)

you're most welcome! ;)
its one of a great many less well-known surround music titles bubbling under that i'd never have had the fortune of hearing had it not been for the power of QQ :phones

With his Mahler 8th (City of Birmingham SO; EMI Classics DVD-V, 24/48 DTS & DD 5.1), I think I've now completed the Rattle-Mahler surround trifecta! Good performance--I prefer it to the Zinman/Tonhalle version on RCA Red Seal--but a dry, bright recording, with relatively faint concert-hall ambience in the rears. And I still haven't found an engineer who is up to the task of capturing the millennial thunder of the really loud passages, with massive orchestra, multiple choruses, soloists, and organ pulling out all the stops! I do like the ability to display the libretto--and real-time subtitles, translated into a variety of languages--on-screen, though.

A side note: with regard to format and packaging, EMI was all over the board with their approach to surround: this one, a straight DVD-V from 2005, comes in an SACD-sized "super jewel case." The 10th, from 2001, is a dual-sided DVD (Side 1: DVD-V, Side 2: DVD-A) in a standard (for DVD-A/V) super jewel king. And the 5th, from 2003, is two discs (one DVD-A, one DVD-V), in a soft black plastic DVD-video case. Weird.

51bERiwOZOL.jpg

Last edited:
Lost In The Ghost Light/Stupid Things That Mean The World - Tim Bowness (CD + 5.1 DVD-V)

I had Stupid Things in download form already but it's still a nifty 5.1 2-fer mediabook cute lil' package to enjoy

iiEUXVl.jpeg

Back