DVDA Author, or anything better, for creating multi-channel media?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SQLGuy

Hi folks,

I'm working on converting some quad LPs to modern media. I have created some four-channel flac files, and am now trying to author a DVDA from them. I have managed to get DVDA Author to build on Ubuntu 16.04, but, now, when I try to create the layout, it's failing with a floating point exception. Cranking up the verbosity all the way still doesn't tell me what the problem is. I have not found much recent discussion about DVDA Author... I'm thinking I might be ahead of the curve in just getting it to build on a modern Linux release.

Anyway, anyone have other suggestions on software to use, or maybe been through and past these kinds of problems with DVDAA?

Next steps I'm planning are to add more logging to the code, and also to try converting the flacs to wav files to see if it has any better luck with those.

Cheers,
Paul

BTW, I found a thread where a user described his use of this app... first converting the flac files to wav files. I tried that, and it allowed me to get past the error. Burning a DVDA now to see whether this is what I want. I'm worried that I'll be missing some metadata by using wav files.

https://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?258593-dvda-author-won-t-process-88-1-24-tracks

OK. Don't know whether I've "lost" metadata, but I don't see any when playing the disc... just a blank screen from the player... but the tracks themselves play fine.

One interesting difference, though, is that when I play them from Foobar, the rear channels play from my rear speakers (6.1 setup), but when I play them from the DVDA, rear channels play from the side speakers. Any thoughts on what's better here? FWIW, the commercial quad DVDA, SACD, and Blu-Ray discs I have all play their rear channels from the sides as well.

Anyway, I'm pleased enough to have been able to finally run end-to-end from SQ decoding through a playable DVDA. I noticed late in the process that the levels look lower on my FL channel for all of this LP, so I'll be taking a look at calibration of my SQ decoder and checking the levels of my AD converter for when I decode the next disc... then, depending on what I find, I'll probably re-do this one.

Still would like to know why DVDA Author is choking on flac files, though, but is happy enough with wav files.

Also, in case you're curious, the LP in this case is Abraxas, and it runs about 2.5GB for a 24/96 DVDA iso.

Last edited:
Went through the system from end to end. As far as I can tell, the left channel from the cartridge is just about 1dB down from the right. This is at the limit for the balance spec for this cartridge (AT440MLb). The rest of the lower FL seems to be entirely the recording. The SQ-W is actually slightly higher in output for FL than FR.

Basically, I injected a signal from a Y cable from a function generator connected to various points in the system to verify channel balance of the preamp, ADC, SQ-W, etc. I also measured cable resistance and coil resistance for the turntable and cartridge.

The recording seems to run about 4dB lower FL vs FR for average peaks across most of it.

Not sure whether I should boost the FL a bit when mastering the DVDA or just leave it...

Went through the system from end to end. As far as I can tell, the left channel from the cartridge is just about 1dB down from the right. This is at the limit for the balance spec for this cartridge (AT440MLb). The rest of the lower FL seems to be entirely the recording. The SQ-W is actually slightly higher in output for FL than FR.

Basically, I injected a signal from a Y cable from a function generator connected to various points in the system to verify channel balance of the preamp, ADC, SQ-W, etc. I also measured cable resistance and coil resistance for the turntable and cartridge.

The recording seems to run about 4dB lower FL vs FR for average peaks across most of it.

Not sure whether I should boost the FL a bit when mastering the DVDA or just leave it...

To answer your last paragraph, after saving original recording however it turned out, then I make another copy and adjust the volume if need be. I try to get back to what the original Quad master was. You may have to experiment to get it to sound right. But you can always go back to original recording if needed.

Back