Existing Surround Mixes That Could Use A Re-Do

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ELP Tarkus & Trilogy -- just don't let Jakko anywhere near them, please
Yes Close to the Edge, Tales, Relayer, 'America'

Maybe pay Eddy Offord to give surround a try, for all of the above

All of the post-Gabriel Genesis remixes are overcooked. De-maximize the damn things, and turn Phil's vocals down.

Sgt. Pepper 2017 mix on Blu-ray. Too conservative. I'd like it to be more like the"Love" DVD-A

While I don't think it could approach the best parts of Love due to less layers of multi-tracking where it's not a mash-up, it starts off so conservatively and I was surprised that the audience was (fairly hard) panned to the rear. I agree with the suggestion on this forum that it sounds a lot better with the rears boosted by 3dB, although the bonus single doesn't, IMHO.

Paul McCartney & Wings - Band On The Run

Really?

I don't care for the sound quality of the Q8 or the dts release, but many of dts's first releases have the same problem so I suspect it's a mastering issue and not the quad master. Some of the tracks, including the title one, were fully or partially remixed for the McCartney set:

Band on the Run Full. Much better sonically, but less dramatic and discrete
Bluebird Partial. Similar mix, better quality
1985 Partial. Similar mix
Helen Wheels Full. Night and day better. Original quad mix is awful, sonically and otherwise

With the exception of "Jet" which was always disappointing, I think mostly for its poor sonics and mostly front placement, if we could get a sonic upgrade the quad mix is pretty strong. Although sonically dated, If I were demo-ing the #1 title hit I'd use the dts release.

Now if you want to talk McCartney quad redos, how about Venus and Mars? Very poor sonics throughout, obnoxious compression and even intolerable distortion (Rock Show), plus riddled with mixing gaffes and often not very discrete. Plus, the #1 Listen to What the Man Said was inexplicably left of the 2006 McCartney DVD collection.

Last edited:
Songs From The Big Chair, Green, Hearts (by America). Keane's Hopes and Fears could do with reauthoring with the rears and fronts swapped back.

SFTBC was a major disappointment -- limp and pretty ineffective. Safe (from what? Excitement?)
Hearts has its problems as does its older brother Holiday (vocal x 4, too much reverb, noisy). I could do with a modern 5.1 of either but I'd have to put them at a low priority. Much rather have debut album, Homecoming, or even a later effort like Alibi that's still stuck in stereo.

Last edited:
Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn by Mike Oldfield. Someone other than Mike needs to create new surround mixes that are a little more respectful of the original stereo mixes. I love these albums but can't stand to listen to Mike's reinterpretation of them.

Ommadawn was my favorite MO album -- is the stereo that different? Don't recall that. There are at least two SQ mixes, the original CBS US disc and the one on Boxed. Haven't played either in 30 years.

Wondered why I never picked up SACD of the original quad Tubular Bells mix ... until I finally did recently.
It's God-awful, ineptly changed everywhere. I must have subconsciously remembered how disappointing the Q8 was. Again, I don't remember if the Boxed version is better. In general, I recall the Boxed mixes being superior. But I never played them much because ... SQ only.

Never once listened to HR.

Blue Oyster Cult- Agents Of Fortune (5.1 SACD)
Rush- Moving Pictures (5.1 DVD-A)
Steely Dan-
Pretzel Logic (1970s QS LP/Q8 Tape)
Simon & Garfunkel- Bridge Over Troubled Water (1970s SQ LP/Q8 Tape)
Beach Boys-
Pet Sounds (5.1 DVD-A)

Great start.
Those all pretty much suck.

Genesis' "Trick of the Tail" could use a surround remix/remaster. The Gabriel box sounds great to me and this is the only post-Peter surround album I bought and it does not compare well.

Trick of the tail was included in the first box released. The Gabriel era albums were in the last studio album box released, and they sound better to me than the first box. I think Nick Davis learned more as they went along. There was also a report I read somewhere that Gabriel wasn’t satisfied with the mixes and urged ND to be more adventurous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trick of the tail was included in the first box released. The Gabriel era albums were in the last studio album box released, and they sound better to me than the first box. I think Nick Davis learned more as they went along. There was also a report I read somewhere that Gabriel wasn’t satisfied with the mixes and urged ND to be more adventurous.

I have the Collins era box ('83-'98)- Invisible Touch is the only album I'm really familiar with and it's kind of a missed opportunity surround-wise. It's so aggravating hearing densely arranged songs like "Land Of Confusion" presented with little separation.

I suppose the Gabriel era albums are what most members here prefer, so it's good they got those right. Maybe I'll get to them one day...

SFTBC was a major disappointment -- limp and pretty ineffective. Safe (from what? Excitement?)
Much rather have debut album, Homecoming, or even a later effort like Alibi that's still stuck in stereo.

Homecoming has been done and IMHO it's a good mix, i do second the Alibi choice for a new 5.1 mix. Unfortunately it's never going to happen....

I have the Collins era box ('83-'98)- Invisible Touch is the only album I'm really familiar with and it's kind of a missed opportunity surround-wise. It's so aggravating hearing densely arranged songs like "Land Of Confusion" presented with little separation.

This album was disappointing on a number of levels for me - the surround mix is frustrating, the whole thing on CD, SACD 2.0 or 5.1 sounds horrible. It's so compressed, and the remix on vinyl may be less compressed, but there's still something really horrible to the sound throughout: some kind of standing (ringing?) frequency (and my copy is clicky in places too from new). Oh, and there's a few bits during the percussion solo on The Brazillian that are missing - almost as if they were meant to be sent to specific channels, but got lost on the way.

Ommadawn was my favorite MO album -- is the stereo,that different? Don't recall that. There are at least two SQ mixes, the original CBS US disc and the one on Boxed. Haven't played either in 30 years.

The quad mix of "Ommadawn" isn't bad. The recent 5.1 remix I can't listen to. Fortunately, I don't have to.

Homecoming has been done and IMHO it's a good mix, i do second the Alibi choice for a new 5.1 mix. Unfortunately it's never going to happen....

Of course I have Homecoming -- one of the highlights of the modern surround era.
I meant Harbor, the album with their last #1 AC hit Today's the Day.
Also mispoke about Alibi -- meant to say View from the Ground or even Your Move, not the album nobody bought.

Getting old.

You're not the only one that is getting old... one day at the time.
While i do have their entire output on CD, personally i rank Harbor very low... Alibi here was a big hit, Survival went to n.4 on singles chart and remained on top ten for two months, all album tracks were on radio rotation... sure i will like a 5.1 mix of Alibi.

Back