Existing Surround Mixes That Could Use A Re-Do

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjcorne

Staff member
...Only rule is that the song cannot officially exist in MCH at all (like if it’s a bad mix and you want a redo- that's a topic for another thread I guess).

And so that topic gets its own thread!

I don't want to come off as greedy or entitled, as getting any surround mix released is a victory for our community, but I doubt I'm alone in thinking there are plenty of surround mixes out there that don't quite hit the target. And who knows, sometimes these things do happen...I can think of plenty of albums that have multiple surround versions, be it quad and 5.1 counterparts OR multiple quads OR multiple 5.1s!

Here's a few off the top of my head:

Blue Oyster Cult- Agents Of Fortune (5.1 SACD)

This isn't awful (it definitely benefits from boosting the rears), but it pales in comparison to the jaw-dropping quad mixes of Tyranny & Mutation and Secret Treaties.

This old post makes me wonder if there is actually an old quad mix in the vein of those two out there somewhere: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...e-oyster-cult-agents-of-fortune-release.7527/

Rush- Moving Pictures (5.1 DVD-A)

Another one that's not awful (it is my go-to over the stereo) but hasn't been realized to its full surround potential...there may be hope now that SW is working with Rush.

Steely Dan- Pretzel Logic (1970s QS LP/Q8 Tape)

Can't complain enough about this one...pales in comparison to both the ultra-active quads of CBAT & Countdown and the classy ES 5.1s of the last 3 albums (and 3 DF solo releases).

Simon & Garfunkel- Bridge Over Troubled Water (1970s SQ LP/Q8 Tape)

This may be controversial. This mix has some really nice moments ("So Long, Frank Lloyd Wright" and "Baby Driver" are handled very nicely), but is at other times frustratingly non-discrete (the title track and "El Condor Pasa" sound mostly ambient). The rest falls somewhere in between. Doubt we'd ever get a re-do of this, much less a reissue of the quad.

Beach Boys- Pet Sounds (5.1 DVD-A)

Again, so much more potential here than what was done IMO...

Your turn!

Last edited:
Oasis - (What's The Story) Morning Glory?

I don't know how much there is to work with from the masters but another go would be much appreciated. Not really consistent at all and kind of difficult to listen to in parts. On such a classic!

Simple Minds - New Gold Dream (81/82/83/84)

This only applies to tracks 2 and 3. I would like them mixed to the same way as the rest of the album - which is superb.

George Harrison - Live In Japan

Erm maybe best not to bother at all but perhaps if they could come up with a Live at Filmore vibe?!

Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn by Mike Oldfield. Someone other than Mike needs to create new surround mixes that are a little more respectful of the original stereo mixes. I love these albums but can't stand to listen to Mike's reinterpretation of them.

Depeche Mode - Violator: Some parts of the 5.1 mix are OK but it could do with an overhaul. Not sure what happened to it but it just sounds weird to me. Every now and then, I'll give it another spin to see if it was just me being fussy but then end up just spinning the stereo mix.

Depeche Mode - Songs of Faith and Devotion: Even the production of the stereo was a bit dense and murky. The 5.1 didn't help and the whole thing could benefit from a complete redo (like what was done with Killing Joke's Night Time album).

The currently available sets for the above are good value though as you get a bunch of decent extras including some great B-sides and remixes.

Okay, I know I'll get slammed for this, but FM and Rumours both miss the mark for me. They didn't get good at mixing for 5.1 until Tusk.

ELP Tarkus
ELP Trilogy
ELP BSS (for botched KE9 3rd imp.)

These 3 are at the top of my list. The first two are SW mixes that just don't hit the right buttons. A great pity for me as they are among my favorites of all time. The latest BSS effort by JJ is great except the last track is botched.

ELP Tarkus
ELP Trilogy
ELP BSS (for botched KE9 3rd imp.)

These 3 are at the top of my list. The first two are SW mixes that just don't hit the right buttons. A great pity for me as they are among my favorites of all time. The latest BSS effort by JJ is great except the last track is botched.

Actually Jakko mixed Trilogy; SW did ELP and Tarkus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Songs From The Big Chair, Green, Hearts (by America). Keane's Hopes and Fears could do with reauthoring with the rears and fronts swapped back.

Back