File Higherarchy for NAS Storage

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Homer,

Are we still utilizing the Tagscanner to rename Folders for the Kodi/Wetek Hub system? I thought there was a tool for this on your Music Media Helper Tools program, but I appear to be mistaken...

I also want to seperate the music by types, SACD's, Quad 8-Tracks, Quad Reels, DualDiscs, Blu-Ray, 24 bit, 16 bit, 5-7.1, Atmos, etc

Thanks Homer!

Hi Jeffko.

There's a tool (last one in the Launcher dialog) that auto renames folders from format:
ARTIST - ALBUM
to:
ARTIST\ALBUM

It creates an album folder under the artist folder for each.

I don't know of any tools in Tagscanner to rename folders (there may be one). Is the above tool what you want or do you need something different?

Kodi currently works best with a single root music folder (for all music) with ARTIST folders then album folders so it doesn't suit storing in folders for SACD, Quad etc.

To get around that I name my album folders with Source type. Example:
Wish You Were Here (Quad BDA)
Wish You Were Here (SACD)
etc

Music Media Helper's "Media Manager" tool allows you to filter the folder, tags or codec info to view all matching data (example: folder names containing 'SACD' or 'DVDA' etc) and you can create a report (PDF, Excel or Print) those filtered lists if you want to see your collection by type.

Garry

Hi Jeffko.

There's a tool (last one in the Launcher dialog) that auto renames folders from format:
ARTIST - ALBUM
to:
ARTIST\ALBUM

It creates an album folder under the artist folder for each.

I don't know of any tools in Tagscanner to rename folders (there may be one). Is the above tool what you want or do you need something different?

Kodi currently works best with a single root music folder (for all music) with ARTIST folders then album folders so it doesn't suit storing in folders for SACD, Quad etc.

To get around that I name my album folders with Source type. Example:
Wish You Were Here (Quad BDA)
Wish You Were Here (SACD)
etc

Music Media Helper's "Media Manager" tool allows you to filter the folder, tags or codec info to view all matching data (example: folder names containing 'SACD' or 'DVDA' etc) and you can create a report (PDF, Excel or Print) those filtered lists if you want to see your collection by type.

Garry

Hi Garry,

Thanks for replying so quickly. Will I, if I add the descriptive source type to each folder (-(16 bit MFSL) - or (2.0 SACD) -for example) have the Kodi play only the "Quad Reels" tracks randomly?

Jeff

Hi Garry,

Thanks for replying so quickly. Will I, if I add the descriptive source type to each folder (-(16 bit MFSL) - or (2.0 SACD) -for example) have the Kodi play only the "Quad Reels" tracks randomly?

Jeff

Kodi supports custom menu nodes that can contain a filter on folder names so you can create menu items in Kodi that will,only show 'Quad albums' or 'SACD albums' etc. I will have a play and post details here later today.

I also believe I read that Kodi can play a playlist randomly. So let me look into that too.

Kodi supports custom menu nodes that can contain a filter on folder names so you can create menu items in Kodi that will,only show 'Quad albums' or 'SACD albums' etc. I will have a play and post details here later today.

I also believe I read that Kodi can play a playlist randomly. So let me look into that too.

Apologies for slow reply (QQ going dark was a shock plus our house reno still occupies plenty of my day - will it ever end...).

I created a new menu node for Kodi that only shows certain types of albums based on the album folder name. The one I created only shows Albums with word 'Quad' in the folder name, you could easily create more for 'SACD', 'Stereo', 'BDA' etc.

I didn't find a way to play these filtered album lists randomly, but I ran out of time. Will look later this week.

Next time I'm on on my PC (IPad now) I'll upload and post the example 'Quad' menu node and document how to add it to your Kodi system. It's pretty straight forward.

A story with a 'moral'. Well I'd played around with various music file folder structures, seeing which one I preferred. So I decided on Surround/Artist/Album & Stereo/Artist/Album as that ended up how I decide what to play. So this was all on my Zyxel NAS325. I hadn't put anything onto the larger Synology one as that was reserved for music only once I'd decided, in fact its back in its box. But I've been a bit snowed under with work, and the last thing I wanted to do was more technical stuff come the weekend. Then tonight I thought I'll listen to a Quad album off the NAS, the Oppo couldn't find the NAS, went and looked and it was turned off. Odd, I didn't remember doing that. I hadn't the NAS has gone PHUT!, Mains PSU is still ok still 12V it just won't boot, and no fuse inside the NAS. The music isn't lost, nor are all the documents (I think/hope!), as the data is spread across two computers HHDs. I'm going to get a HDD docking/cloning station to check the drives, just in case they've survived. So the 'moral' of the story is back-up!

I'm just wondering if the discs have survived (what I am assuming is an internal PSU failure), what format will they be in? As the Zyxel was a Linux machine, its all readable through the NAS on Windows, but it doesn't necessarily mean I can read the Linux formatted disc via a docking/cloning station. Anybody know?

A story with a 'moral'. Well I'd played around with various music file folder structures, seeing which one I preferred. So I decided on Surround/Artist/Album & Stereo/Artist/Album as that ended up how I decide what to play. So this was all on my Zyxel NAS325. I hadn't put anything onto the larger Synology one as that was reserved for music only once I'd decided, in fact its back in its box. But I've been a bit snowed under with work, and the last thing I wanted to do was more technical stuff come the weekend. Then tonight I thought I'll listen to a Quad album off the NAS, the Oppo couldn't find the NAS, went and looked and it was turned off. Odd, I didn't remember doing that. I hadn't the NAS has gone PHUT!, Mains PSU is still ok still 12V it just won't boot, and no fuse inside the NAS. The music isn't lost, nor are all the documents (I think/hope!), as the data is spread across two computers HHDs. I'm going to get a HDD docking/cloning station to check the drives, just in case they've survived. So the 'moral' of the story is back-up!
Just to verify... the NAS is totally dead. No pilot lights, no activity when you power it on. Yes?

Did you have the drives set up in a RAID configuration?

Another verify... You have an un-used Synology NAS on premises. Yes?

Do you have new drives for the Synology?

Just to verify... the NAS is totally dead. No pilot lights, no activity when you power it on. Yes? YES

Did you have the drives set up in a RAID configuration? YES

Another verify... You have an un-used Synology NAS on premises. Yes? YES

Do you have new drives for the Synology? YES

All is not lost, probably some data, but a lot of inconvenience. I haven't checked the internal PSUs on the Zyxel yet, so the discs may have survived.

All is not lost, probably some data, but a lot of inconvenience. I haven't checked the internal PSUs on the Zyxel yet, so the discs may have survived.
Definitely have Gary or someone else you trust have a go at this. I think it may even be possible that the drives will be properly formatted and ready to be read by the new Synology NAS on installation. How many drives are involved?

Definitely have Gary or someone else you trust have a go at this. I think it may even be possible that the drives will be properly formatted and ready to be read by the new Synology NAS on installation. How many drives are involved?
Just 2, I had it set up as a simple RAID

My Startech Dual HDD Dock turned up late this afternoon, so this evening I plugged it into the PC, and added the first HDD, then the 2nd. Using Windows 10 Disc Manager it told me both HDDs were empty, but as they are Linux formatted that was to be expected. But it had said both were Ok, plus they'd powered up via the Docking station, so looked hopeful they weren't damaged/corrupted. My first thought was I can buy another cheap Zyxel and put them in that. Then just for the hell of it I connected Power & LAN to the Diskless NAS, it started up! So I have just put the HDDs back into the dismantled NAS and it fired up and I can see all my files. Weird, I can't find a reason why it seemed to have failed and wouldn't boot-up, maybe it just needed everything taken apart and re-seated. Either way its working :SB. So I'll put it back together properly tomorrow, and buy 1TB & 4TB USB External HDDs, to back up the Zyxel, and for the soon to be used Synology. Phew!

So one thing I learned is that with the Startech SDOCK2U33V I can copy Windows formatted HDDs on a Windows PC and Linux formatted HDDs on a Linux machine. At least I don't have software which will let me do that. This device can't do PC-less copying from HDD to HDD.

Last edited:
My Startech Dual HDD Dock turned up late this afternoon, so this evening I plugged it into the PC, and added the first HDD, then the 2nd. Using Windows 10 Disc Manager it told me both HDDs were empty, but as they are Linux formatted that was to be expected. But it had said both were Ok, plus they'd powered up via the Docking station, so looked hopeful they weren't damaged/corrupted. My first thought was I can buy another cheap Zyxel and put them in that. Then just for the hell of it I connected Power & LAN to the Diskless NAS, it started up! So I have just put the HDDs back into the dismantled NAS and it fired up and I can see all my files. Weird, I can't find a reason why it seemed to have failed and wouldn't boot-up, maybe it just needed everything taken apart and re-seated. Either way its working :SB. So I'll put it back together properly tomorrow, and buy 1TB & 4TB USB External HDDs, to back up the Zyxel, and for the soon to be used Synology. Phew!

So one thing I learned is that with the Startech SDOCK2U33V I can copy Windows formatted HDDs on a Windows PC and Linux formatted HDDs on a Linux machine. At least I don't have software which will let me do that. This device can't do PC-less copying from HDD to HDD.

There is a similar thread started by GOS... https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/backup-your-music-files.24778/

...that discusses backups for NAS. Maybe a mod might want to move these backup related posts over there and join them up with the thread that specifically discusses NAS backup, then move it out of the general forum and into a hardware forum.

I'm looking into backup solutions as well. So I'm following your threads on this to see how it goes for you. Im glad to see its all back up and working. Does your Zyxel NAS have a fan in it? Could it have been a thermal problem?

With respect to the Startech Dock Unit, would you purchase it again? Would a dock that allowed PC-less cloning be of more use? If you get a chance,
check out the other thread and read my last post to see the solutions i'm considering. I'd like to hear your comments.

Hey Duncan,

Google reading Linux on Windows. There’s drivers and/or software that allows this which should work with your new dock.

Back