• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not request or offer for sale or trade copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

For Richard Thompson fans

Just saw this on FB, RT's 'merch' page has some great official boots, some on sale for $10, but also still offers 'The Old Kit Bag' in 96/24 5.1 dvd-audio (on dual-disc) for $20 and has a copy of the 'Rumour & Sigh' DVDa for $99.

The latter is immersive, the former is more an 'extend a couple feet into the room' ambient mix, both have some great performances and some bonus video content.

http://bit.ly/2qqZiyf

Just saw this on FB, RT's 'merch' page has some great official boots, some on sale for $10, but also still offers 'The Old Kit Bag' in 96/24 5.1 dvd-audio (on dual-disc) for $20 and has a copy of the 'Rumour & Sigh' DVDa for $99.

The latter is immersive, the former is more an 'extend a couple feet into the room' ambient mix, both have some great performances and some bonus video content.

http://bit.ly/2qqZiyf
Thanks for this info.
I ordered The old Kit bag right away.

Thanks for this info.
I ordered The old Kit bag right away.
If you don't have the official 'bootlegs' I would highly recommend the 2-CD 'Two Letter Words' with Danny Thompson on standup bass, Dave Mattacks on drums, the late great Pete Zorn on guitar, mandolin, saxes, penny whistle and probably more. Each of the 2 CDs is a set, building from solo acoustic to guitar/bass to full band. Despite the 'boot' name all the live CDs are beautifully recorded to multitrack.

My other fave is 'Semi-detached Mock Tudor' which swaps in drummer Michael Jerome and add Richard and Linda T's son Teddy on vocals and guitar. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll kiss ten or more bucks goodbye. Not available in any store.

Not to keep bumping my own thread, but wanted to point out that there are rave reviews on Amazon of the two albums I mention above so none need take my word alone for their quality. Do not, however, pay what sources on Amazon are asking for these ($50-$100) when you can give the (significantly less) money to RT himself at the link above.

DuncanS

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Here is incredible live, I've seen him at Festivals hold a whole audience of 000's in awe and its just him and a guitar, an amazing talent.
Edit: I have Rumour & Sigh and Old Kit Bag, I must give them a listen, haven't in ages.

humprof

If you don't have the official 'bootlegs' I would highly recommend the 2-CD 'Two Letter Words' with Danny Thompson on standup bass, Dave Mattacks on drums, the late great Pete Zorn on guitar, mandolin, saxes, penny whistle and probably more. Each of the 2 CDs is a set, building from solo acoustic to guitar/bass to full band. Despite the 'boot' name all the live CDs are beautifully recorded to multitrack.

My other fave is 'Semi-detached Mock Tudor' which swaps in drummer Michael Jerome and add Richard and Linda T's son Teddy on vocals and guitar. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll kiss ten or more bucks goodbye. Not available in any store.
The original Mock Tudor is one of my favorite RT albums. Great songs, and I love the stripped-down production from Tom Rothrock, which I think would adapt well to a surround mix.

DuncanS

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I have the Fairport Convention Close To The Wind Silverline 5.1 DVD-Audio, another one I need to listen to again, I can't remember what it was like, and I can't find it at the moment either!