Found this "Best 10 Surround Tracks" on the web. What do you all think?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if Only there was a link to the QQ top 10 ... :rolleyes:

Although good debate - maybe a not prog rock accentiated list is a good way to go?!? Only joking...

For me

Avalon
DSOTM
GYBR
Brothers in Arms
Sea Change
The Stranger
Rumours
Tapestry
Blood on the tracks
Remain In Light

C’mon B&W - update and you’ll sell more speakers!
I don't mind this list much. I would swap Tusk for Rumours and omit Tapestry for Gaucho (that's in my top 3, it can't possibly be left off a top 10). Plus I really prefer WYWH, but it's slight enough that I don't have to insist on a change. Maybe I personally would omit Stranger for Yoshimi, but only for personal enjoyment. As a list to recommend surround to others, your choice is better.

It seems to me the whole point of the original list was to showcase the variety of genres in surround. There is Prog, Classical, Jazz, Big band, Alternative, Hard Rock, Soft Rock. It certainly doesn't represent a list of demo material.

Hey everyone, chill. It's cool. Everyone is entitled to an opinion of course but sometimes written word can be taken with an unintended inflection. It's a lot different to read someone's intent when there is only printed word as opposed to someone speaking the same words in many different manners.

So, anyway, Let it Be! As far as "Sea Change" goes, that really is a puzzler as to why it's not higher in the polls. It's a benchmark surround release, as far as I am concerned. The more you listen to it the more you appreciate it. Quite a stunning disc I must say.

As far as "Sea Change" goes, that really is a puzzler as to why it's not higher in the polls.
As discussed elsewhere, it is because we don't use a weighted average in our polls. So a title that has a wider distribution of votes, gets pulled down in the polls. I think the reason "Sea Change" has a wider distribution of votes is perhaps because buyers aren't expecting something quite like it when they buy Beck.

As discussed elsewhere, it is because we don't use a weighted average in our polls. So a title that has a wider distribution of votes, gets pulled down in the polls. I think the reason "Sea Change" has a wider distribution of votes is perhaps because buyers aren't expecting something quite like it when they buy Beck.
Seems like a fancy way of saying lots of people gave it a lower score. That's exactly what I don't get.

Beck "Sea Change"... one of my favorite albums and it isn't even on the front page (top 50?) of our poll...

Correct, it’s near the top of the second page, Number 66, rated 9.26.
.02 points below Atom Heart Mother and .01 points above Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.
What a fun group of hair-splitters we are! :rolleyes:

Like an idiot, I delayed getting Derek & The Dominos because it's toward the bottom of page 10, rated 7.12.
What in the world was I thinking?
To me, it's wonderful, a classic 1970 album with Eric & Duane Allman in 5.1.

:51QQ

Is there a poll and/or thread for AC/DC Let There Be Rock because I searched for it and couldn't find one?

AC/DC may not be everyone's cup of tea but if there is a top notch or even just decent version of them in surround I'm all in because there are times, few and far between, when you just gotta get down and do some heavy rockin' and those boys were the best.

Night Prowler:

Somewhere a clock strikes midnight
And there's a full moon in the sky
You hear a dog bark in the distance
You hear someone's baby cry
A rat runs down the alley
And a chill runs down your spine
And someone walks across your grave
And you wish the sun would shine
'Cause no one's gonna warn you
And no one's gonna yell attack
And you don't feel the steel
Till it's hangin' out your back

Last edited:
Seems like a fancy way of saying lots of people gave it a lower score. That's exactly what I don't get.
Let me put it this way: DSOTM has 97 tens and 10 nines; Sea Change has 98 tens and 33 nines. Just looking at the tens and nines, Sea Change comes out on top.

Like an idiot, I delayed getting Derek & The Dominos because it's toward the bottom of page 10, rated 7.12.
What in the world was I thinking?
To me, it's wonderful, a classic 1970 album with Eric & Duane Allman in 5.1.

And now you've made me wonder: Why isn't the Scheiner mix of Layla in the polls?

The problem with lists is how superficial and subjective they always are, and there's no way to separate one's musical tastes while also satisfying the potential of multichannel audio. Although I enjoy some of the discs mentioned, most are not something I'd play often, because my tastes tend to skew more toward vintage titles rather than newer recordings (which certainly SHOULD offer more in 5.1, simply because they are new and made with modern equipment).

DSOTM? Either mix works for me, and they're so different in places that's part of the fun in listening. Why choose one over the other? I'd still give the edge to the original Parsons mix, but Guthrie's hardly sux.

ED :)

Back