Frank Zappa Touring in 2019?!!?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
aaahhh I don.t know about this, I think I rather see Dweezil who inherited dads talent he plays a mean axe. Got the concert DVD good show. Not FZ but still a god show.

ohh our young zappa really wanted to say: Ahmet Zappa said in a statement. “People’s minds, eyes and ears will be stunned by the crazy amounts of awesomeness they’ll be exposed to every night on this tour, and I hope to
be stunned and amazed at the awesomeness of all the cash I can milk from this"

Sure wish Dweezil had control of Franks stuff

I happened to see this in the Sunday Paper....yes I still read print....so I guess it's being done quite a bit...interesting to see in the ticket package information...the $150 party package had this disclaimer..."artist does not appear at party"...since Roy passed away in 1988...I'm not sure that was necessary:unsure:

Here is more about that concert...and of course people fighting over the money...

Last edited:
First batch of tour dates announced. I hope to be there on opening night.

4/19 Port Chester, NY - Capitol Theater
4/20 Rochester, NY - Kodak Center Theater
4/22 Red Bank, NJ - Count Basie
4/24 Long Island, NY - Paramount Theatre
4/26 Boston, MA - Shubert
4/28 Albany, NY - The Palace Theatre
05/1 Wilkes Barre, PA - Kirby Center
05/2 Collingswood, NJ - Scottish Rite Auditorium
05/3 Baltimore, MD - The Modell Lyric
5/9 Edinburgh, UK - Playhouse
5/11 Gateshead, UK - Sage
5/12 Manchester, UK - Bridgewater Hall
5/13 Birmingham, UK - Symphony Hall
5/14 London, UK - The Palladium
5/16 Ostend, BE - Kurssal
5/17 Amsterdam, NL - Rai Theater

How about a holographic Monkees Concert with a holographic Jimi Hendrix as the opening act. I'd go! :unsure: o_O
I was actually at one of those shows as a kid....my dad took me to see The Monkeeys I had no idea who Hendrix was at the time as I was only 9 years old I think....show was in Toronto at CNE Colisieum....I never knew I even saw Hendrix live til many years later when I read about this tour

I would actually love to see a holographic Jimi Hendrix concert, although to be authentic they would have to turn it up waaaaaaaaay too loud.

Meanwhile, one can only speculate about how Zappa might have felt about the idea of his music being presented in this way. But after all he did re-release many Zappa bootlegs under his own label without any improvements, even though he likely had the master tapes of the same shows. If I recall correctly, his attitude was "if you want to buy crappy versions of my music I will be happy to sell them to you."

While the upcoming shows will likely be excellent sound, I would guess his attitude would have been similar: caveat emptor.

This is just wrong.

I'd love to see a holographic presentation of an actual concert with full concert sound and the works. Not something messed with like this.
And, I don't know, maybe start releasing the back catalog in 24 bit? Get Frank's surround sound work in print beyond just 4 releases? Get the concert films out in proper formats with full quality audio and surround where it existed?

Dweezil is good. He strives to play the material authentically (ie. not watered down). He throws in two too many guitar solo pieces IMHO. He doesn't improvise like Frank so it becomes more miming what Frank sounded like with those than a vehicle for composition which is what Frank was doing. That aside, his shows are well worth seeing.

The alumni list for this holographic thing is a little hard to argue with for sure.
Still... They're going to be playing in sync to existing material. So more about miming than exploring. Can we just get an authentic show presented as it was with this technology?

Back