FREEZING!!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Temps have been fairly normal here in Central Illinois (35F highs....20F lows)
Unfortunately, we've had a horrific amount of wet rainy weather. We received between 5-6 inches of rain a few days ago and it pretty much flooded everything.

But...finally...today was 56F and total sunshine. wow! So nice...

Temps have been fairly normal here in Central Illinois (35F highs....20F lows)
Unfortunately, we've had a horrific amount of wet rainy weather. We received between 5-6 inches of rain a few days ago and it pretty much flooded everything.

But...finally...today was 56F and total sunshine. wow! So nice...

Whoa...56 huh...that's Illinois bikini weather:banana::bounce17:woopie

In Minnesota, 12" of snow is a light dusting and at -10 Fahrenheit, we start washing our cars in the driveway.

Doug

LOL, those look like those 50s science fiction movies with a man in a monster suit ;)

Actually, halbroome, after performing mouth to mouth resuscitation on those two, once comatose iguanas, Clint Eastwood, reptile activist, adopted them as house pets, Lizzy and Gizzy Eastwood and I heard it through the grapevine they're both registered Republicans:yikes http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/02/18/23/315AA0B300000578-0-image-a-1_1455838718572.jpg

BTW, according to the local news, the East Coast has experienced the warmest February on record: 55 degrees today, close to 60 tomorrow and a rain~drenching Nor'Easter heading our way Thursday into Friday.

It used to get cold enough in Sacramento to very occasionally snow a little bit in the winter, though the last time I remember any snow actually sticking around was 1977 and the last time I saw any at all was 1988.

But Monday some parts of town (like MINE!) got slammed with an utterly bizarre freak hailstorm that dropped so much that it looked like snow and lingered on the ground until THREE DAYS later when a major rainstorm finally took care of it.

http://www.wywh.com/2018FreakHailstorm/ - despite what it looks like in these pictures, it's 100% hail and not snow.

holy shit!! minus 10 tonight! I feel for you guys in MN!!

OH, Keev you have no idea...! I worked in Minneapolis in the early '90s, right downtown. That winter, our first snow came on Halloween. Real eye-opener for me; we didn't see our lawn again until April, I think (there was also snow on April 1st that year - no, that's actual, despite the date!). I was getting used to living in Gore-Tex, which was good, because one of my "duties" on the morning show, was to go outside and do the weather right outside "the mighty Dane Bosworth Tower" (you know, dump on the poor schlub while the "real deejays" get to stay right up there on the 17th Floor...

Well, naturally, the cold was an issue, especially that one week when it seemed like the whole world had space heaters and battery heaters on in their garages, just to get the cars running

That week the temperature reached negative 37 - for about 3 days - and that's not even the punchline...

It was a real easy drive, about 7 miles straight down from Columbia Heights to the underground lot at the Bosworth building. Normally. Naturally, the unnaturally inhuman temperatures made driving hard, but worse was the frost on the indside window, espacially my breathing. And...the heater didn't work, so that meant no defroster. I couldn't just hold my breath in the entire drive, so...

I had to roll down my window, all the way in, to keep the frost down, so I could see. All 3 days. This is no lie. The only thing that kept me warm on the way home during the daylight...was the knowlege that it was maybe 4 degrees warmer than when I'd driven in that morning.

And, guess what happened the very day the temps ROSE up to a more "livable" 25 degrees below?

The heater started working again.

Actually, halbroome, after performing mouth to mouth resuscitation on those two, once comatose iguanas, Clint Eastwood, reptile activist, adopted them as house pets, Lizzy and Gizzy Eastwood and I heard it through the grapevine they're both registered Republicans:yikes http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/02/18/23/315AA0B300000578-0-image-a-1_1455838718572.jpg

BTW, according to the local news, the East Coast has experienced the warmest February on record: 55 degrees today, close to 60 tomorrow and a rain~drenching Nor'Easter heading our way Thursday into Friday.

All lies! They aren't iguanas they are water dragons. Yee hee hee. AKA Chinese water dragons. Similar looking but from different parts of the world and different species. Spreading reptile truth over here:mad:@:;):smokin

In the winter of 1971, I went with some friends to Minneapolis to see Sha Na Na (the pre Bowser days). Another friend of ours had moved up there and we drove to his place first and he drove to the Depot (Where 1st Avenue, the place made famous by Prince, is now), where Sha Na Na was playing.

We all piled into his car and he proceeded to hand out window scrapers to all of us. I asked, "what are these for?" He said, "Those are the defrosters." He had a VW bug and we were each assigned a window to scrape, so he could see to drive, because the VW had no heater/defroster. BRRRRRRR!

BTW, Sha NA NA was great and the pot smoke was thick in there.

Doug

In the winter of 1971, I went with some friends to Minneapolis to see Sha Na Na (the pre Bowser days). Another friend of ours had moved up there and we drove to his place first and he drove to the Depot (Where 1st Avenue, the place made famous by Prince, is now), where Sha Na Na was playing.

We all piled into his car and he proceeded to hand out window scrapers to all of us. I asked, "what are these for?" He said, "Those are the defrosters." He had a VW bug and we were each assigned a window to scrape, so he could see to drive, because the VW had no heater/defroster. BRRRRRRR!

BTW, Sha NA NA was great and the pot smoke was thick in there.

Doug

I can relate to that story...I had a VW bug "back in the day" and in the summer it would practically burn your leg(with heat coming in)and in the winter cold air came out...it was like baseboard heating in a home gone terribly wrong...but speaking of cars and their problems...I had an MGB roadster and I had to slam the door and turn the key at the same time to start it:yikes...the good folks at Lucas really had some electrical problems in those cars...the girl next door had a Triumph roadster and in the winter she had to use an ether solution to start the engine when it got cold:(

Back