FREEZING!!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can relate to that story...I had a VW bug "back in the day" and in the summer it would practically burn your leg(with heat coming in)and in the winter cold air came out...it was like baseboard heating in a home gone terribly wrong...but speaking of cars and their problems...I had an MGB roadster and I had to slam the door and turn the key at the same time to start it:yikes...the good folks at Lucas really had some electrical problems in those cars...the girl next door had a Triumph roadster and in the winter she had to use an ether solution to start the engine when it got cold:(

LOL! The good old days. After my 442, I had a 1973 Monte Carlo and as I was young and poor, I couldn't afford an alternator....it had some sort of short in the cable, so I ran a cable from the alternator through the floorboard and in cold weather I had to yank on the cable and turn the key at the same time to start it. hahaha

Driving a car in the cold without heater is one thing - but there are worse things.

Before I was old enough to driva a car, I used a Scooter to get me around. Even in the winter of course, and having a lot of warm winter clothes on - when your a teenager is not cool. So Levi's 501s and a not to warm jacket on - doing 50 km/h in -20 C.

There could be a problem when you wanted to get of the bike, because your legs would not straighten out immediately - it usually took som time to manage that :mad:@:

In the winter of 1971, I went with some friends to Minneapolis to see Sha Na Na (the pre Bowser days). Another friend of ours had moved up there and we drove to his place first and he drove to the Depot (Where 1st Avenue, the place made famous by Prince, is now), where Sha Na Na was playing.

We all piled into his car and he proceeded to hand out window scrapers to all of us. I asked, "what are these for?" He said, "Those are the defrosters." He had a VW bug and we were each assigned a window to scrape, so he could see to drive, because the VW had no heater/defroster. BRRRRRRR!

BTW, Sha NA NA was great and the pot smoke was thick in there.

Doug
Sounds just like my experience with a Corvair I had as my 1st car. Had a gas heater that never worked.

One of my friend's family had a 1962 Corvair - same deal! The air-cooling and the belt turning a 90 degree angle were cool but the heating, forget it.

I have another story too. In 1971, same winter as the Sha Na Na concert, a female friend of mine had a little Fiat and the four spark plugs were down in wells in the valve cover, straight down from the top. There were supposed to be rubber plugs to seal the wells off but they were missing (of course). So, water would get down in there and then it wouldn't start when it was cold. I would take the plugs out after soaking up the water with a cloth and dry them off in her oven, put them back in, and then it would start.

One time, she had cranked it too long and ran the battery down so, she decided to have another friend of ours, who had a, I think, 1970 Cadillac, push her to get it going and drop it into gear to start it. He gently pulled up to the rear of the Fiat and began to push it. The rear bumper of the fiat crumpled and fell off. We had a hard time stopping laughing.

Doug

Back