• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not request or offer for sale or trade copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

Gary Paczosa mixes another one!!! Little Sparrow

Bob Romano

Surroundaholic Moderator
Staff member
Well this has certainly been my year for SACD M/C surprises. It is abslolutely amazing what a new set of 4 matched speakers can do to improve your listening.

Though I really like the mixes on the Beck and Gabriel discs, my favorite mixes this year have all been from Gary Paczosa. He has mixed the Alison Krauss discs, Nickel Creek, and now I find Dolly Parton's "Little Sparrow".

Man, what a well played and mixed sacd. This is another really aggressive rear channel mix. Dolly is always in the center solo but also spread across the front. Harmonies and backgrounds seem to mixed across the front as well but they seem to be mixed hotter in the rears. Instruments are well placed all around like as if you were sitting in Dolly's living room with the band sitting around you. You feel like you are right there. And once again a nice smooth bass track in the sub.

Several tracks just jump out at you. Collective Soul's "Shine" scared the crap out of me at first. I was not expecting a banjo from the rear right and I had it kind of loud. Then a guitar from the rear left and then the rest fills in. This disc is unbeleivably crisp and clear (completely on par with AKUS and Nickel Creek).

If you like bluegrass music... this is another can't miss!!

Other stand out tracks include:
Seven Bridges Road
Little Sparrow
Marry Me
A Tender Lie

My one gripe is not with the disc but the record company. The disc has a big sticker on the front that says HYBRID STEREO. If I hadn't turned it over and actually looked at it I would have never found the M/C logo at the bottom.

Dolly's other SACD is stereo only. I think it's called Halos and Horns. I would love to find some more mixes by Gary Paczosa. Anybody know any others?? I would also love to hear his mixing skills on music other than bluegrass.

B

BiggerzBetter

I was wondering just how "blue grass" you'd classify this. I'm not a fan of that genre in particular, but I do like Dolly. Haven't heard any of the music from Little Sparrow because I've been avoiding the "blue grass" designation. Any suggestions?

And yeah, I love Nickel Creek's This Side SACD, but that's not exactly blue grass. Or is it, when compared to Little Sparrow?

Bob Romano

Surroundaholic Moderator
Staff member
If you have heard any of the Alison Krauss cds, especially "Live", and even Nickel Creek, the insturmentation is identical. As a matter of fact, Alison Krauss, Jerry Douglas, Barry Bales and Chris Theile all play on Little Sparrow. I even think you could substitute Alison Krauss for Dolly and it would sound just like an AKUS cd. I think if you like Nickel Creek you will definitely like Little Sparrow. The only thing that is missing between Nickel Creek and Dolly is those odd little twists and turns that Nickel Creek does.

Simon A

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I think this lovely sounding album deserves its own Poll page. Dolly sounds truly sublime on this one and the playing is superb.