HiRez Poll Gaye, Marvin - THE MARVIN GAYE COLLECTION [SACD/DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD/DVD-A of Marvin Gaye - THE MARVIN GAYE COLLECTION

• Total voters
No way man. It's cool.

Now, has anybody come across any other Motown dvd-audio. I know there's "Let's Get It On" but what about other artists?

Michael McDonald has an SACD, a cover of Motown songs, it is discussed here. I am not sure if it was available on both formats like this Marvin Gaye release, I have the SACD.

Chris

Michael McDonald has an SACD, a cover of Motown songs, it is discussed here. I am not sure if it was available on both formats like this Marvin Gaye release, I have the SACD.

Chris

Actually Motown released two Michael McDonald albums in SACD SUrround (Motown and Motown Two) as well as the two Marvin Gaye albums mentioned here (Marvin Gaye Collection and Let's Get It On).

Universal also released a Lionel Ritchie album in SACD Surround (Just for You). But that was on the Island label - not Motown.

And Columbia released Marvin Gaye's "Midnight Love" album in SACD Surround that includes a great SACD Surround Sound mix of "Sexual Healing" done by Jimmy Douglass. (Douglass was also the 5.1 mixer on the excellent Ginuwine SACD on the Epic label)

All are worth a listen !

Anyone coming into this collection expect the "Motown Sound" will be disappointed. This is probably close to the truth of what the actual masters sound like, rather then the compressed mono and stereo versions of the past, which tended toward grunge and distortion, a bit extreme in the upper mids, etc. It's a fun listen--and all too short. A shame more like it weren't released, but them's da breaks....

ED :)

Absolutely wonderful surround mix! Only flaw is being a tad short time-wise. Shows what can be done and the mix was very discrete without discrediting the original intent.

I already had the collection on DVD-A and now I got my hands on the old DTS version. I bought it as a 4-pack with 3 other DVD-As on eBay.

After listening to a good part of the DTS disc, I see two totally different mixes. The DVD-A is much more aggressive in its surround. But, the use of the surround in the DTS is pleasant.

But, the one thing I find the most different is the SOUND of the recordings. Was the DTS disc more harsly equalized so that it has more of a "modern" sound? I find the sonic quality of the DVD-A more "of the time."

Am I just imagining this?

I already had the collection on DVD-A and now I got my hands on the old DTS version. I bought it as a 4-pack with 3 other DVD-As on eBay.

After listening to a good part of the DTS disc, I see two totally different mixes. The DVD-A is much more aggressive in its surround. But, the use of the surround in the DTS is pleasant.

But, the one thing I find the most different is the SOUND of the recordings. Was the DTS disc more harsly equalized so that it has more of a "modern" sound? I find the sonic quality of the DVD-A more "of the time."

Am I just imagining this?

To my ears, the 5.1 Surround Sound mix is the same on the DTS Music Disc and Surround Sound Super Audio CD. However, the sonics on the SACD edition are notably better on my system.

Maybe that's the difference: DTS vs. Hi-Res.
Could well be.
It could equally be something else too. We have seen previous discs where the DVD-A carries a different mix to the SACD
(Machine Head comes to mind) - so this could be a case of the DTS-CD being the same as the SACD, but both being different to the DVD-A.
I have the DVD-A, but not the DTS-CD (it didn't seem worth buying to me, as I had the DVD-A) or the SACD.
Can anyone else who has both the DTS-CD & the DVD-A do a comparison, please?
If they are different I shall buy the DTS-CD immediately.

Unless my copy is defunkt, which I just received two days ago sealed/new from yourmusic.com for $6.99 shipped, I just don't get this ... the crowd noise, which is just as much a staple of the song as the music itself, is completely missing from "What's Going On", the instrumentation in "Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)" sounds different than the original I remember and it doesn't include "Sexual Healing" as well as "Got To Give It Up Pt. 1" which means it fails as a "collection" in my opinion.

... this is one of those moments that I'm glad I only paid $6.99 for something. I give this a 6. Sorry guys.

Unless my copy is defunkt, which I just received two days ago sealed/new from yourmusic.com for $6.99 shipped, I just don't get this ... the crowd noise, which is just as much a staple of the song as the music itself, is completely missing from "What's Going On",

The crowd noise was heard only on the stereo album version, an obvious overdub; the single version (which the mix here references) does not. The single came first, so that's the reference point, not the album version later played on oldies radio.

the instrumentation in "Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)" sounds different than the original I remember

Again, a little more faithful to the single than the album mix, but then, if you were expecting Motown multichannel to simply expand on the original stereo, well, of course you'd be disappointed in this instance (although perhaps a lot more disappointed in the Supremes CD-4, if you've heard it, but that's for another thread).

and it doesn't include "Sexual Healing" as well as "Got To Give It Up Pt. 1" which means it fails as a "collection" in my opinion.

This was a collection taken from Motown masters only; "Sexual Healing" was recorded for CBS/Sony. As for "Got To Give It Up," woulda been nice, but they only chose so many songs. There were several I'd like to have heard, but sometimes you gotta be glad for whatcha get...

ED :)

Thanks Ed for clearing up the history for me on this. It's still foreign to my ears at this point so this will continue to not get much play, but between this release, the Midnight Love SACD and the What's Goin' On quad conversion I'm fairly well covered in the Marvin Gaye surround department.

A "9".

One of the most-played surround discs in my little collection. I just love the man, the music and the mix.

If only there were more Marvin Gaye in 5.1!

Still, I find myself wishing that a lot on here (only for other artists, obviously..!!!) ;)

RE: SACD vs DVDA, the SACD is a bit quieter but should sound about the same. Haven't checked the loudness on the DTSCD.

A couple of others have said you get phasing when you downmix any of the 5.1 mixes to 4.0 or 2.0. This is a valid observation. There should be absolutely no phasing when you downmix if you don't do anything dodgy when mixing.

Unfortunately, it seems that the studio chose to delay the center vs L/R and LS/RS out by different amounts, which causes this phasing.

RE: SACD vs DVDA, the SACD is a bit quieter but should sound about the same. Haven't checked the loudness on the DTSCD.

A couple of others have said you get phasing when you downmix any of the 5.1 mixes to 4.0 or 2.0. This is a valid observation. There should be absolutely no phasing when you downmix if you don't do anything dodgy when mixing.

Unfortunately, it seems that the studio chose to delay the center vs L/R and LS/RS out by different amounts, which causes this phasing.

weird (and unfortunate, indeed!) since the "dedicated" stereo on the Marvin collection is a hideous, compressed mess.. not unlike so many hybrid SACDs from UMG back in the day, where the latest CD remastering 'effort' was just plonked on the stereo layer. yuck.

that said, Warner were just as naughty back then, doing the same and using redbook for the Hi-Rez stereo.. and WB were also caught downmixing the new 5.1 remixes for the stereo Hi-Rez on certain DVDA releases. tut tut.

my twopennuth? when in doubt, play the M/C on any Warner DVDA or Universal SACD/DVDA and forget about the stereo.

as for a DTS CD vs DVDA vs SACD question mark on this particular title, memory serves the 5.1 source was at 24/48 PCM.. so I'm not sure theres a massive leap in sound quality going from the DTS to the Hi-Rez (and I'm too tired to get embroiled in the whole PCM to DSD debate that could ensue, discussing the drawbacks of taking a PCM source, transferring it to DSD for SACD, then converting it back to PCM again for playback..! arrgghh.. Just the thought gives me a headache..!) ..

..but I will check over the weekend to see if the DTS and the SACD/DVDA of this one are the same mastering etc. at the very least.

SACD. I gave this a 7. Some really good surround mixes, even on the vintage stuff, and the bass was amazing. I thought it did a good job of retaining the old Motown oomph in the sound, but I don't like all the tracks and would have liked What's Going On to be more like the album version. Shame there doesn't seem to be any other vintage Motown stuff in 5.1, or am I wrong?

SACD. I gave this a 7. Some really good surround mixes, even on the vintage stuff, and the bass was amazing. I thought it did a good job of retaining the old Motown oomph in the sound, but I don't like all the tracks and would have liked What's Going On to be more like the album version. Shame there doesn't seem to be any other vintage Motown stuff in 5.1, or am I wrong?

There's a series of Motown DVD-Video's with 5.1 remixes.

Motown The Definitive Performances:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002QVTBEM?ie=UTF8&force-full-site=1&ref_=aw_bottom_links

The Temptations Definitive Performances 1965-1972:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001O1ADC4?ie=UTF8&force-full-site=1&ref_=aw_bottom_links

The Four Tops Definitive Performances 1964-1973:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Four-Tops-Definitive-Performances/dp/B001G9LVB6/ref=pd_cp_d_h__3

Marvin Gaye - The Real Thing In Performance 1964-1981

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Marvin-Gaye...8&qid=1380548676&sr=1-10&keywords=marvin+gaye

These are (for the most part) the original Motown master tapes remixed to 5.1 surround, lip-synched to promo videos of vintage live performance footage. They are all worth getting.

Back