HiRez Poll Gentle Giant - THREE PIECE SUITE [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Gentle Giant - THREE PIECE SUITE

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
I vote a very strong nine, I would be tempted to give it a ten if all 3 albums were complete in 5.1 (especially if at the same price point, yeah dream on) but since I think that "Power and the Glory" is just about the pinnacle of what an audio multi.ch (10) release should be a 9 will have to suffice for the "Three Piece Suite"

I’m very happy they made the best out of the missing multis situation and created this compilation. It’s an obvious labor of love, first class all the way - the artwork, the detailed liner notes/interviews, the graphics, bonus cut and of course the superb mixes. I’m a massive GG fan. Acquiring the Taste is my favorite of the first three so it’s a drag that only two tracks were available but they are two of the best! And I’m thrilled that all of Side Two of Three Friends is included. An easy 10 for me.

Wow! I've been a prog rock fan since the 70's and I hadn't even heard of GG until these releases started coming out. I just listened to this one and I was blown away by the music, the surround mix and the sound quality! 10 all the way!!! I bought Octopus too, but haven't heard it yet. I'm going to have to pick up TPATG as well. These guys are groovy!

Does anyone hear something of distortion in Nothing at all? Specially at the end

I do. On "Nothing At All", I hear a spot of distortion when the gong is sounded at the end of the drum & piano solo section of the song. I've also heard it on other versions of the song so it's a part of the recording.

I do. On "Nothing At All", I hear a spot of distortion when the gong is sounded at the end of the drum & piano solo section of the song. I've also heard it on other versions of the song so it's a part of the recording.

LOL! Guess they wanted to keep the "purists" happy. :)

Well it appears I never got round to voting.
The surround mix is exemplary as you would expect

I like the fact that as not all tapes had been found at the point of release we get what's available mixed.
Further there are flat transfers of all three albums in full. Content wise that's a 10 in my book.

As one of the demo tracks has been added it's a shame the whole demo recordings are not included in either are.or 5.1 bar Freedoms child.

The visuals seem to be a Labour of love and for me in keeping with the songs a nice touch by Ray their.

A straight 10 from me.

PS

I hope that if no more XTC tapes can be found that APE do something similar

I was around back in the day and was a huge Yes fan, but somehow never heard Gentle Giant back then. My first experience with their music was the Power and Glory disc. While I was astounded by the surround mix SW did and thought the visuals they did with the songs was the coolest anyone has done, the music was just okay for me and I didn't even bother with Octopus when it came out. But this one has really clicked with me. I like the music a lot and the mix is as great as I could have hoped for. Strongly recommend for any prog fans.

K

I was around back in the day and was a huge Yes fan, but somehow never heard Gentle Giant back then....K

I couldn't help but mention seeing a great Stadium tour of bands 'Back in the Day'. Opening was Gentle Giant, followed by Gary Wright, then Peter Frampton and closing with Yes. Ah, the old days of cheap tickets and loads of name bands together.

I couldn't help but mention seeing a great Stadium tour of bands 'Back in the Day'. Opening was Gentle Giant, followed by Gary Wright, then Peter Frampton and closing with Yes. Ah, the old days of cheap tickets and loads of name bands together.

That sounds like 1975 or so??

Nothing but 9's and 10's. Not surprised. This is a release directed at surround nutsoes.
It's done extremely well. Plus, you get the source albums in hi-res 2.0, should you want to put them on.
Such a very cool concept for a release. I'd support any similar release...

Sorry for being late but ssully is correct and even though I live maybe 8 miles from Anaheim Stadium, I saw the show in San Diego at Balboa Stadium. Notice I didn't use the past tense as I still live in the same house that we bought from my parents some 30 years ago...

At least you live close to
Disneyland

Been a fan since 1975 when I bought the Freehand LP, while my brother and friends were listening to other prog groups like Yes, ELP, King Crimson I was digging on Gentle Giant it was getting major airplay on Detroit radio. Moved away from great FM radio and great music. And got behind the times so to speak.
Three Piece Suite is excellent and rates a 10.

I was there too! What an amazing day that was.

This is a clear 10, no doubt about it.

Gentle Giant's music is just the perfect candidate for the "surround treatment". SW took full advantage of the 5.1 capabilities, and this is noticeable in almost every track. The visuals with lyrics are a nice addition but can be distracting. I'm not a fan of this illustration style, but I've enjoyed the watching/listening experience anyway.

IMO, this is a must-buy for surround lovers. It's also worth considering Octopus and TP&TG, should you wish to get the full picture of Gentle Giant in surround (I've found Knots from Octopus and Proclamation from TP&TG to be particularly effective in 5.1. The live piece included in Octopus is also essential).

Back