Got a Pioneer QX 747 with loud hiss no matter what I do

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reed

Out here in the perimeter, way down below the ocea
I purchased a supposedly good condition and fully functional Pioneer QX 747 off of eBay. The seller said everything had been tested and the "unit sounds amazing." I got it unboxed and hooked up today only to discover that in all input settings, in all output modes, and with two different sets of speakers hooked up to it, the unit sounds like crap. Specifically the bass sounds fine, but the mid range is VERY muted and there is a loud hiss whenever the unit is on. No matter the volume level, no matter the input used (I have tried AM, FM Mono, FM Stereo, and auxiliary so far), no matter the decoding used (2 channel, CD-4, QS etc...) and no mater what speakers I hook up, there is a very loud hiss, the treble and mid-range is very quiet, and it almost sounds like the left channel is reproducing a "ghost" image of the right channel. I have played tracks where I know there distinct differences between the left and right channels and I am almost not hearing them.

All the switches and pots work smooth and aren't noisy. It just sounds like crap. I know Pioneer wasn't the top of the line (especially the 747 units) but I also always heard that Pioneer units in two channel mode sounded good. This one definitely does not sound good.

What should I check out before I start harassing the seller for my money back or start calling around to find a repair shop?

Thanks.

no repairs, send it back, ebay will back you. document the issue and do not delay. I bought 2 receivers on ebay. Both were perfect as seller had decribed. The seller in your case - well - lied! get your cash back, delay will raise suspicion. I paid $37.00 for an Integra 6.1 85 watts, and $71.00 for a Denon 7.1 105 watts. I know Pioneer is not what it used to be but still, that is too much!!

Contacted the seller and started a file with eBay. We'll see what happens.

iF the seller will not cooperate, e bay will get in the middle.The seller has an obligation to tell the truth about what they are selling. I see avr's all the time that do not work, or have damages. The one who sold you the faulty unit failed to devulge all properly. And that sucks! I've been pretty lucky I guess. My advice for future buys is to examine photos carefully, and question the seller. Shoot for an Onkyo/Integra. They are easy to get, easier than the Denon's. And look for one who has a nice backgound, I mean the house looks as though they are well off. People like that will not rip you off. They already have money!

We'll see. So far the seller is talking, but still not offering a full refund. He/she claims the unit worked fine when shipped and he/she doesn't know what could have happened in shipping, but all I know is that it doesn't work upon arrival.

Back