Great price for external storage

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm interesting housing - but don't see that they are powered other than by USB. Might be fine to store, but not so much to play stick in your Oppo or whatever and play.
Seen cheaper WD externals - tryng to fine specs on these and they do not give much info.
Color Snood intrigued :unsure:

For my XBOX it looks koo and is relatively cheap at 2 TB (seen cheaper) must look into further.........gonna need another for my Xbox 1X

I guess I was thinking of internal SSD pricing (for PC's), these seemed like a good deal. I must be having a really bad day. :(

Oh well.

Hmmm interesting housing - but don't see that they are powered other than by USB. Might be fine to store, but not so much to play stick in your Oppo or whatever and play.

In case of usb-only powered hdd to connect to a device (cell phone, tablet, laptop) where power drain is a serious issue, a Y-split usb3 cable, with a separate usb connector only for power, and a usb 5v2a power supply solves any problem. Tested and working daily.
Not easy to find, but on ebay there are some shipping from the usual asian places.

May i ask a suggestion from all of you? Don't know why but i am very out of any luck with usb3 hub: i am at the fourth one and or after some months it doesn't work anymore, or doesn't seen correctly the disc, or doesn't pass all the ntfs information to the pc so it doesn't shows all folders... Do you have one that works well? Suggestion?

I have never had luck with USB Hubs. Half of the time devices don't work with them, and others crap out after a while. I don't understand why, but I would assume it's part of a design stretch.

I have never had luck with USB Hubs. Half of the time devices don't work with them, and others crap out after a while. I don't understand why, but I would assume it's part of a design stretch.
Weird. I have 4 usb2.0 hub that are quite old and works ok whatever condition. Will like to be a lucky one also with usb3...

I've had the most unfortunate opportunity to own an hdmi video capturing device called the elgato HD60, the cheapest hdmi capture device money can buy, designed for gamers, with a software interface that I suppose makes sense to gamers, but certainly not to me.

But, the thing I really learned in using this device is that some USB devices require more power than others. This lovely POS elgato device was designed to work perfectly well with the included USB cable, with it's power requirements, and nothing more. So when I went to their tech support department with all my problems trying to use it over a 25 ft. usb extension cable and hub, they replied back with power requirements. I replied back with some specs from the devices I was using that showed they should work within those power levels, but....eh...I forget the comeback to that one, but at some point I got the tech to admit that, connecting a powered usb hub to the end of my extension cable, and plugging the elgato directly into that powered hub, would in theory provide it the power it needs, while offering several disclaimers that this is not a recommended or supported method of using the device.

BOOM! Device works now. Still with it's awful limitations and nonsensical software interface.

TLDR: if you have problems with USB hubs or extension cables, use a powered USB hub.

Weird. I have 4 usb2.0 hub that are quite old and works ok whatever condition. Will like to be a lucky one also with usb3...
I've had the most unfortunate opportunity to own an hdmi video capturing device called the elgato HD60, the cheapest hdmi capture device money can buy, designed for gamers, with a software interface that I suppose makes sense to gamers, but certainly not to me.

But, the thing I really learned in using this device is that some USB devices require more power than others. This lovely POS elgato device was designed to work perfectly well with the included USB cable, with it's power requirements, and nothing more. So when I went to their tech support department with all my problems trying to use it over a 25 ft. usb extension cable and hub, they replied back with power requirements. I replied back with some specs from the devices I was using that showed they should work within those power levels, but....eh...I forget the comeback to that one, but at some point I got the tech to admit that, connecting a powered usb hub to the end of my extension cable, and plugging the elgato directly into that powered hub, would in theory provide it the power it needs, while offering several disclaimers that this is not a recommended or supported method of using the device.

BOOM! Device works now. Still with it's awful limitations and nonsensical software interface.

TLDR: if you have problems with USB hubs or extension cables, use a powered USB hub.

I've got a little 7 port USB 2.0 powered hub on my main computer that's worked great for years without a single issue. I believe I saw somewhere that the recommended specs. for USB 2.0 cables are limited to around 16 feet.
Not sure about USB 3.0 hubs; but they may be dependent on having the latest drivers installed to function reliably.

Great advice. If it is just a splitter with more than one device on it you are going to starve them for power.
I don't use hubs for data, only charging. Not preaching, just don't have the need.

Been there done that and failed miserably, even with a bigger power supply. Probably the traces on the board are too thin for many 500mA devices at once.
The only solution that works (at least for now) is a Y cable for each hdd.

Back