HiRez Poll Guess Who, The - ROAD FOOD & #10 [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of The Guess Who - ROAD FOOD & #10

• Total voters
Having been a huge Guess Who fan since I was a kid in the early ’70’s, I know these albums like the back of my hand. However, I did not have a quad system back in the day, so I am hearing the quad mixes for the first time via these D-V quad SACD releases. What a revelation! Lots of interesting things jumping out in the mixes. Love the active steel guitar moving around the room on Take it Off My Shoulders, as well as the wah-wah guitar on Self Pity. The guitar break in Cardboard Empire is wicked!! I gave it a 9, as I find Star Baby and maybe the first few songs on Road Food to be lacking in bottom end, but otherwise it’s a great package, with interesting and informative liner notes.

On a related topic, I have just started reading Robert Lawson’s book called “Wheatfield Empire - The Listener’s Guide to the Guess Who”. So far, it is very well written and seems to be quite comprehensive, giving loads of details about recording session dates, versions of the songs recorded as well as chronicling the various releases. The book was released in 2020, and includes the D-V releases in the release notes sections of the chapters. Contrary to what’s been said in this thread regarding other Guess Who quad releases, the book indicates that So Long Bannatyne was released on quad 8 track (PQ8-2114) and on the reel-to-reel format (TP3-1073), but not on vinyl. Oh yeah, the book also quotes steelydave when it mentions the fake quad version of Artificial Paradise!!

Having been a huge Guess Who fan since I was a kid in the early ’70’s, I know these albums like the back of my hand. However, I did not have a quad system back in the day, so I am hearing the quad mixes for the first time via these D-V quad SACD releases. What a revelation! Lots of interesting things jumping out in the mixes. Love the active steel guitar moving around the room on Take it Off My Shoulders, as well as the wah-wah guitar on Self Pity. The guitar break in Cardboard Empire is wicked!! I gave it a 9, as I find Star Baby and maybe the first few songs on Road Food to be lacking in bottom end, but otherwise it’s a great package, with interesting and informative liner notes.

On a related topic, I have just started reading Robert Lawson’s book called “Wheatfield Empire - The Listener’s Guide to the Guess Who”. So far, it is very well written and seems to be quite comprehensive, giving loads of details about recording session dates, versions of the songs recorded as well as chronicling the various releases. The book was released in 2020, and includes the D-V releases in the release notes sections of the chapters. Contrary to what’s been said in this thread regarding other Guess Who quad releases, the book indicates that So Long Bannatyne was released on quad 8 track (PQ8-2114) and on the reel-to-reel format (TP3-1073), but not on vinyl. Oh yeah, the book also quotes steelydave when it mentions the fake quad version of Artificial Paradise!!

I might have to try and pick that book up. However PQ8-2114 is actually Artificial Paradise. I wrote to Jack Richardson years ago when I had a friend attending Fanshawe College where he taught. He wrote back and told me that Bannatyne and Live at the Paramount were considered for Quad, and probably even mixed - however they were left unreleased because both albums ran over the 45 minute limit for Q8 tape.

I might have to try and pick that book up. However PQ8-2114 is actually Artificial Paradise. I wrote to Jack Richardson years ago when I had a friend attending Fanshawe College where he taught. He wrote back and told me that Bannatyne and Live at the Paramount were considered for Quad, and probably even mixed - however they were left unreleased because both albums ran over the 45 minute limit for Q8 tape.
Wouldn't it be amazing if those mixes do exist and get released by DV!

Thanks for the info. It’s a bit disappointing that the book isn’t accurate, although I guess it happens from time to time. Hopefully the other details are more reliable.

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be amazing if those mixes do exist and get released by DV!

There's no reason they couldn't if the final masters still exist. Another dream of mine would be for them to release the entirety of the Paramount show in either a vintage Quad mix or 5.1! Even though there have been multiple re-releases with bonus tracks, etc; four songs from the show have yet to be released including the show opener "Get your Ribbons on". According to Burton, Randy and Jack, the multitracks ALL still exist and are in good shape. So, even if those albums were slated to be done and abandoned, if D-V really wanted to do us a solid, they could spend the money and do them today. I think they should as I believe it would be a hot seller and a D-V exclusive.

If they wanted to hire me to do the mix, I'd do it for free.

Back