HiRez Poll Hancock, Herbie - HEADHUNTERS [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Herbie Hancock - HEADHUNTERS

• Total voters
To be fair, he did post that in 2006 so it probably wasn't that hard to find at Best Buy back then. ;)

True, heh...but most of the music (CD/DVD/etc) retailers still afloat, like FYE, buy a lot of used discs that they repackage and sell, and on ocassion SACD titles do turn up and good prices (I know this because my brother manages a FYE store in NH, and he's sent along a few here and there that I didn't have, including that Alison Krauss gem). It's always a smart idea to check any store you know carries used CD's, and of course, the DVD-A's with the larger jewel cases stand out (Newbury Comics in Massachusetts does occasionally acquire used and has a separate small section for them).

ED :)

I just converted this one to PCM and had a look at the individual tracks in Nuendo as part of my project to check channel assignments/balances after I noticed the O'Jays and Isley Brothers discs had swapped rear channels, and I'm happy to report that everything with this disc is perfect - all the channels are as they should be, levels are correct, and phase is correct. Additionally, spectral analysis shows audio content well above 30kHz so this is truly a high-res release.

We should start a thread with TRUE HI REZ SACDs... The ONLY one I've found so far is Tomita's Planets recent SACD...now, if ALL SACD were like this, I wouldn't protest...but most cut off at 20-23K
Tomita Planets SACD LF.jpg

I have two versions of this in SACD multi: the "legacy" Columbia version, and the European (Austria) release a few years later.

Since my Austria release hasn't been opened (yes, I did a Snood, sigh) -- are the two versions exactly alike? Should I prefer one and sell the other, and if so, which one?

I realized I didn't vote on this one yet, so I pulled out this SACD (I have the Japanese release) to give it a fresh listen. It is a 10 for me: classic content, the mix is very good and quite discrete but it fills the room, and tonally it just sounds gorgeous. Perfection!

9, what a very excellent album and the Sony SACD from 2007 is very nice, would have liked some bonus cuts maybe but wonderful quad mix of a sweet record. Sony's been on point with their jazz releases between this and Silent Way and Bitches Brew...

Is this the correct poll thread for the Japan 7" SACD from CD Japan? The thread seems a lot older than the release.

AT LAST ! After plenty of issues (first order was labelled as quad, but was stereo only, second order labelled as quad, I received a mere CD).
There it stands in its full glory, and surprise, it is the CBS mini LP versions, with goodies, a la Jeff beck's Wired and Blow by Blow, that makes it already more desirable. These people understand 'attachment to the physical product'.
This is great. What a surprise. Sleeve says Herbie Hancock participated in the quad remixing and mastering. This is what I wanted. I am enjoying it right now and couldn't help but jump to share my enthousiasm.

Back