Hans Zimmer: Live in Prague Blu-ray Atmos November 3

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just set up my 5.1.4 speakers and I thought I will treat them with this first. Er..mistake...now I have to find something to blow this away...any ideas folks?

Kraftwerk 3D, REM - Automatic For The People, INXS - Kick. Plus a bit of a dancey one in Booka Shade - Galvany Street. Matt Darey also has an album available as a free download. Those are the Atmos releases I have just got and think are really good. There's not an abundance to choose from! Although lot's of movies! :cool:

Think Mumford & Sons have released a concert mixed in Atmos too... Not sure what it's like? Tough to beat the sound of the Zimmer...

There's a few classical releases as well...

Edit...
Ooh forgot there's also Roger Waters - The Wall in Atmos. Not got around to listening to that one yet...

Last edited:
I'm more likely to get hooked on a shopping trolly or a Welly. :giggle:

Wow haven't heard that version for a while, quite refreshing to the Blue Swede cover...

Maybe it's time for a shopping spree at Harrods for a pair of blue suede shoes.....or tight blue suede trousers to show off the 'package.'

1.JPG

Kraftwerk 3D, REM - Automatic For The People, INXS - Kick. Plus a bit of a dancey one in Booka Shade - Galvany Street. Matt Darey also has an album available as a free download. Those are the Atmos releases I have just got and think are really good. There's not an abundance to choose from! Although lot's of movies! :cool:

Think Mumford & Sons have released a concert mixed in Atmos too... Not sure what it's like? Tough to beat the sound of the Zimmer...

There's a few classical releases as well...

Many thanks for that...I guessed that there are not too many yet...hopefully there will be some more soon. I'm hooked on this new format. Soooo immersive when done right.

Maybe it's time for a shopping spree at Harrods for a pair of blue suede shoes.....or tight blue suede trousers to show off the 'package.'

It's too rainy for suede over here so I'll have to rock the blue Wellies I catch with my excellent fishing skills! One way to get noticed at a Hans Zimmer concert?! :dance

Well damn......we sure do have some wildly varying comments on this disc.

My 5.1.4 set up is as follows:

Monitor Audio Silver for fronts and centre. A pair of SVS Elevations for the Dolby Atmos, which I've currently placed on the Monitor fronts. The surrounds are large Mordaunt Shorts and the rear height speakers are Monitor Audio Silvers that I used to use as surround rears. The sub is a Arendal 1723. All powered by a Marantz 8012.

I can certainly hear all sorts of musical treats coming from this new setup and especially from the reassigned Heights and the new SVS's.

I appreciate we all have different set ups and room sizes, my bat cave is L 3.70 m x W 2.6 m x H 2.30.

Hopefully this helps to explain how I given this Blu ray such a glowing report.
I really can't recommend it enough.

This is one of my absolute favorites of all, and I can only listen to the 7.1 TrueHD core. I'm really hoping to be able to go full Atmos/DTS-X in the next few months, and can't wait to re-check this one out then. Some of the best bass ever! Check out the Electro Suite at 1hr 26min.

This is one of my absolute favorites of all, and I can only listen to the 7.1 TrueHD core. I'm really hoping to be able to go full Atmos/DTS-X in the next few months, and can't wait to re-check this one out then. Some of the best bass ever! Check out the Electro Suite at 1hr 26min.
You WON'T be disappointed with the Atmos...

I've asked several times before, but why does this not have a poll thread? One of my absolute favorites for the sheer variety of styles, massive dynamic range, astoundingly deep LFE, amazing fidelity, and surprisingly, real, distinct surround action, especially for a live concert.

I'm only listening to the TrueHD 7.1 core audio, but this is one of my favorites from my entire collection.

I've asked several times before, but why does this not have a poll thread? One of my absolute favorites for the sheer variety of styles, massive dynamic range, astoundingly deep LFE, amazing fidelity, and surprisingly, real, distinct surround action, especially for a live concert.
Good question. Concur. This one is glorious in Atmos.

Good question. Concur. This one is glorious in Atmos.
I spend more time looking at my ceiling and thinking about implementing Atmos than anything else these days. Going to use my old Onkyo 809 to power the x.x.4 speakers. Either Marantz or Denon for the avr. For the 4 ceiling speakers, I want to use self contained outdoor speakers. Easier mounting and aimability. Probably Yamaha.

I spend more time looking at my ceiling and thinking about implementing Atmos than anything else these days. Going to use my old Onkyo 809 to power the x.x.4 speakers. Either Marantz or Denon for the avr. For the 4 ceiling speakers, I want to use self contained outdoor speakers. Easier mounting and aimability. Probably Yamaha.
I need to figure out how to power my heights independently. I have an extra Sherwood AVR! I think it would be good to take pressure off the Denon, right?
It would also make isolating the heights a cinch!

I need to figure out how to power my heights independently. I have an extra Sherwood AVR! I think it would be good to take pressure off the Denon, right?
It would also make isolating the heights a cinch!
If your Denon has line level outputs and your Sherwood has line level inputs per channel, it's a cinch. That's exactly how I plan to power my rig. Use my old avr from now just to power the overheads. Less drain on the main avr juice, but a complete juice supplier for the tops. Old avr becomes amp for tops.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Re: easy-to-mount Atmos speakers, the AVRant podcast recommends Boston Acoustics Soundware 4.5, available at discounters for $69.99 each. I’ve got a box of four in my entryway waiting for some free time to install. I’ll provide a mini-review once installed and tested. Will likely mount overhead on-ceiling for best Atmos effect.

If your Denon has line level outputs and your Sherwood has line level inputs per channel, it's a cinch. That's exactly how I plan to power my rig. Use my old avr from now just to power the overheads. Less drain on the main avr juice, but a complete juice supplier for the tops. Old avr becomes amp for tops.

giphy.gif

but on my Pioneer I have to tell the receiver if those speakers are atmos or not and I think the pioneer only sends the correct cut-off atmos frequencies if output directly from the pioneer's speaker outputs and not from the line-out.

IOW, it's easy to line out fronts for example but I'm not sure atmos can be lined out correctly but I may be wrong and would love to know the answer as well.

but on my Pioneer I have to tell the receiver if those speakers are atmos or not and I think the pioneer only sends the correct cut-off atmos frequencies if output directly from the pioneer's speaker outputs and not from the line-out.

IOW, it's easy to line out fronts for example but I'm not sure atmos can be lined out correctly but I may be wrong and would love to know the answer as well.
I don't have Atmos yet, so I have no idea. I just know that a lot of 9.1 AVRs say you can add an external amp for up to 11.1 (7.1.4). I did find this video for a Denon and near the end he shows that he is running his standard 5 main speakers from an external amp while using the Denon to power just the 4 height speakers and back surrounds.

I don't have Atmos yet, so I have no idea. I just know that a lot of 9.1 AVRs say you can add an external amp for up to 11.1 (7.1.4). I did find this video for a Denon and near the end he shows that he is running his standard 5 main speakers from an external amp while using the Denon to power just the 4 height speakers and back surrounds.

Hallaluyah!!!! Thank you for steering me to the correct video FINALLY! All 11 + 2 subwoofers are now active. What a relief. You have no idea how many hours i've spent trying different things and obsessing. I can finally relax and enjoy.
Thanks again! BTW: I ended up using my vintage Pioneer QX949 to power the extra 2 channels.

Now that I'm set up for 7.2.4 Atmos, I still think this has some of the most powerful bass ever, but the Atmos speakers are mainly used for ambience. It's fairly discrete for a live concert, but it doesn't really make the format shine, but it is still a really freakin' awesome performance. I still don't quite understand why this concert never received a Poll Thread. 🤨

Back