Harmonium - L'heptade - New 5.1 mix of classic 1976 Canadian album

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got this a few weeks back for the rare concert footage. Didn't even know it would be mixed in 5.1, given its bootleg quality. The overall sound of the concert is a bit muddy. The 5.1 opens it up a little as there are discreet elements in the back, but it's not enough to make the sound that much better. It's nice to see a complete performance of L'Heptade though. The only one ever filmed for that matter! And the restoration job helped a lot!

But, ... when I first put the dvd in, I selected 5.1 audio then Play. It starts just like the album with "Prologue", the studio version since the band didn't play the orchestrations live, and it's mixed in 5.1! All kinds of thoughts went through my head! Is it gonna be the whole album? Did I miss something in the product description? Have I found an easter egg? ... but then the show starts and I went back to earth!... Watched the whole thing, and sure enough, "Epilogue" has the same treatment at the end. So in all, there is about 7 minutes of surround mix from the studio version, and obviously not the best songs. And it's dolby digital only.

They remixed the whole album in stereo after they thought the master tapes were lost forever, and just tease us with 5.1 sniplets! Talk about a missed opprtunity!

Last edited:
Thank you for this important piece of information!

This means that I will not be buying the set. I wish to apologize to everyone for announcing the DVD as a 5.1 mix of the studio album. At the time of my announcement, the only information I had was what was found on the Amazon page.

This is a missed opportunity as it would have made for an amazing listening experience and would have given the group's music some international exposure.

Just to be sure as to what audio is contained on the DVD, I will contact the studio responsible for the 5.1 remix and will report back shortly.

Hi Beelz,

Thanks for the review. Did anyone else pick this up (Simon?) as i'm wondering if its worth getting, even though the main album isnt 5.1.

My brother is visiting from Canada so i'm looking to see what M/C music he can bring me from the Great white North, any other suggestions?

Back