Heads Up - New Windows 10 Update to Version 1709 - it is a long one and......

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having all your programs installed only on the SSD also speeds it up tremendously. The older Acer boots up quickly, but Norton takes ages scanning the HDD. The Dell with the SSD boots up and running within seconds. I tried McAfee but I prefer Norton.
Edit: I have 16GB of DDR RAM on the Dell.

I have tried a lot of them over the years...when I tried Norton it was a "memory hog" and slowed my system down...but I see now it's highly rated and it appears that problem is fixed...tried Kaspersky..Eset..MacAfee... AVG...and I run Malwarebytes Free Version as a supplement to whatever main antivirus program I have....Norton would hound me to death about every thing that even remotely resembled a problem...but that was years ago...

What type of antivirus software do you use?

The built-in antivirus software in Windows 10 has improved a lot and doesn't slow down your machine. Use a different computer for going on sketchy sites.

I have tried a lot of them over the years...when I tried Norton it was a "memory hog" and slowed my system down...but I see now it's highly rated and it appears that problem is fixed...tried Kaspersky..Eset..MacAfee... AVG...and I run Malwarebytes Free Version as a supplement to whatever main antivirus program I have....Norton would hound me to death about every thing that even remotely resembled a problem...but that was years ago...

Clint - Snood runs norton with malwarebytes on WIndows 10 no probs - every once in a blue moon when i download a program that is trusted but not well known, it will auto delete it and me have to whitelist it. Think only one or 2 programs for burning or playing flacs flacs....... think maybe and dbpoweramp and one other oooooh my HD Audio Solo - Notified norton and notified the software developer of db in their forums and it was soon nationwide whitelisted. :banana:

Having all your programs installed only on the SSD also speeds it up tremendously. The older Acer boots up quickly, but Norton takes ages scanning the HDD. The Dell with the SSD boots up and running within seconds. I tried McAfee but I prefer Norton.
Edit: I have 16GB of DDR RAM on the Dell.

One thing about SSD - do not defrag/defragment an SSD :mad:@:

Regular HDD yeah but no on the SSD :banana:

My new computer and monitor came yesterday...instead of looking forward to using it...I dread the thought of dealing with Windows 10 in the beginning...I've stalled as long as I could with my old computer with Windows 7....I'm not a computer guy so if I run into problems...I can't fix them...ugh...the new one has SSD...so that might help...if you don't see me on the forum this time... it won't be for health reasons...well mental health maybe...I'm just hoping the Win 10 that is pre installed on the computer HAS some of the updates already installed..build date is 7/22/2017...I've been reading as many articles as I can on the net about Win 10...so I can be prepared..

Any little nuggets of advice on setting it up would be appreciated..I just do basic surfing and use the email...
my advice? Dont make it a bigger issue than necessary. Just run the updated before you install any of your other programs.

It might take some time, but so what? When you dont run the big update, the system will try each and every time you turn on your computer. Better to have it done.

For the rest W10 works fine on my side, I have been using it since the free upgrade period and runs smoothly. Besides email and office, I run the audio sw like DVDAE, Audiomuxer, Media Monkey, mp3tag without any problems.

In the case you do run into problems, your buddies at QQ are here to help you.

Last edited:
Perhaps you folks already know this but Win10 is different than previous MS OS in that the OS will be regularly updated for new features, "enhancements" etc., instead of releasing a new version, i.e., Win11.

Depending on a lot of variables expecting PCs older than 4 years to continue to perform as they did when new is generally not going to happen unless you keep the installed programs etc., static
or invest in memory, SSD and larger HDD.
Depending on what you use the PC for your still using an older CPU and chip architecture.
When using an older OS such as Win7, there is no cure. Win7 is far slower Win8 or Win10 and lacks updated programs for connecting to the various wireless protocols, peripherals etc.

Disabling Win Updates is not a very good idea. There are security holes that no anti-virus\malware software can protect against.
If your PC can't reliably do updates it means there some issue that's not being addressed.
If you do disable updates make sure your backup strategy is bullet proof or you have the potential for a very sad\bad day.

Perhaps you folks already know this but Win10 is different than previous MS OS in that the OS will be regularly updated for new features, "enhancements" etc., instead of releasing a new version, i.e., Win11.

Depending on a lot of variables expecting PCs older than 4 years to continue to perform as they did when new is generally not going to happen unless you keep the installed programs etc., static
or invest in memory, SSD and larger HDD.
Depending on what you use the PC for your still using an older CPU and chip architecture.
When using an older OS such as Win7, there is no cure. Win7 is far slower Win8 or Win10 and lacks updated programs for connecting to the various wireless protocols, peripherals etc.

Disabling Win Updates is not a very good idea. There are security holes that no anti-virus\malware software can protect against.
If your PC can't reliably do updates it means there some issue that's not being addressed.
If you do disable updates make sure your backup strategy is bullet proof or you have the potential for a very sad\bad day.

I'm a computer novice by most standards...on the tech side...I just surf...email and pay bills on the net...no intense(requiring a lot of power and memory)computing...I don't download or store photos or videos on the computer..but I am concerned about security and there is no longer any support for Win 7...so I am making the move to 10 and I purchased a new computer and monitor...I think what Gos was talking about is just disabling the "auto" portion of updates..that way you can sift thru the many updates available and get the one's that are truly necessary...but he can speak on that topic himself...

One luxury I have is that my present computer(what you call the "geezer" model desktop)is still operational...so I was able to take my time and make the right computer selection for my needs..instead of waiting until it went down and was forced to get one ASAP...and having an operational computer right now affords me the opportunity to get information about windows 10 before I set up the new computer(which is pre loaded with windows 10 64 bit)..this morning I found some useful tutorials online that addressed some of the questions I had..I'm going to start out using Microsoft Edge and see how that works out...after using Internet Explorer for a long time it should be a big improvement...I just want to take baby steps at first...I would like an opinion on a couple of programs...one of my goals is to eliminate as much "bloatware"(not necessary programs)as possible...

Can anybody give an opinion on these programs.... PC Decrapifier....and Ninite both are highly recommended by most sources..

Win7 extended support lasts until Jan 14 2020 (as long as you have service pack one installed)which means Microsoft will continue to apply security patches/updates until then they just won’t add any new features now or in the future.

Win7 extended support lasts until Jan 14 2020 (as long as you have service pack one installed)which means Microsoft will continue to apply security patches/updates until then they just won’t add any new features now or in the future.

Thanks...I was told that support was over...as far as new features.. they would usually be added on the next version of windows instead of improving the present version.....I needed a new computer anyway...any thoughts on those 2 programs I listed..

Its funny I really didn't like Edge when I got the new PC now I prefer it to the old Internet Explorer, plus its more secure (allegedly anyway!). I didn't think you could stop Windows 10 from doing updates. I haven't tried to and with the SSD they install much quicker.

I'm a computer novice by most standards...on the tech side...I just surf...email and pay bills on the net...no intense(requiring a lot of power and memory)computing...I don't download or store photos or videos on the computer..but I am concerned about security and there is no longer any support for Win 7...so I am making the move to 10 and I purchased a new computer and monitor...I think what Gos was talking about is just disabling the "auto" portion of updates..that way you can sift thru the many updates available and get the one's that are truly necessary...but he can speak on that topic himself...

One luxury I have is that my present computer(what you call the "geezer" model desktop)is still operational...so I was able to take my time and make the right computer selection for my needs..instead of waiting until it went down and was forced to get one ASAP...and having an operational computer right now affords me the opportunity to get information about windows 10 before I set up the new computer(which is pre loaded with windows 10 64 bit)..this morning I found some useful tutorials online that addressed some of the questions I had..I'm going to start out using Microsoft Edge and see how that works out...after using Internet Explorer for a long time it should be a big improvement...I just want to take baby steps at first...I would like an opinion on a couple of programs...one of my goals is to eliminate as much "bloatware"(not necessary programs)as possible...

Can anybody give an opinion on these programs.... PC Decrapifier....and Ninite both are highly recommended by most sources..

Didnt know the two programs but tried the PC Decrapifier. it didnt came up with anything special to remove.

For uninstalling i use IObit uninstaller. This also removes alot of files that otherwise remain on the pc. Their Driver Booster is also very nice to use., see both here https://www.iobit.com/en/advanceduninstaller.php? and https://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php?

Back