Help please - Akai Cr80DSS just started sounding bad

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quadgirl

Since 2002/2003
Hey everyone! It is been a long while since I have posted and I was just going to get on last night to post how great my day was listening to hours an hours of quad! But I got so into the music that I didn’t post. Anyway I’ve had a few days of cleaning and checking foil spices and pads and stuff as I listen and now I have a problem with the sound. The sound coming out now is scratchy on even wonderful 8 tracks I just played the other day. I deoxited all controls of the dbx units, the 9001 and the Akai just to make sure that wasn’t the issue. And let me tell you - this system was playing even cd-4’s so wonderfully Saturday that I couldn’t believe it was still that well-calibrated since the last cd-4 session probably a year ago! And 8 tracks always sound fine.

Now for my confession of my perhaps user-error: I did buy a new homemade 8 track head cleaner in a shell from the 8 track shack folks and I ran it through the Akai several times. I also used a long q-tip thing to wipe off the heads. I had just played several of my more grungy (as far as condition) Jefferson Starship and other Grunt label 8 tracks and just from reinforcing foil splices, the tapes are just the kind that leave your hands dirty. So, I then decided I would put a little of the cleaning liquid solvent used on the long q-tip directly on the 8 track cleaner “tape” part of the cartridge. Well, then the cleaner cart did not automatically cycle through as it had before. So I guess I messed up. So, any idea what is degrading the sound and what might work to bring it back? The discrete-ness is still there - just the sound is scratchy and perhaps muffled or garbled, but I am not sure that is an accurate way to describe it. The lyrics are not as intelligible and it is nowhere near as good as the other day when I played blissfully for hours while working on tapes. It is definitely scratchy sounding. I hope y’all can help!

I seem to have been swallowed up by work and life the last few years and I am going to retire from teaching soon, so I hope to be on this, my favorite forum, more frequently. I have been checking in and am glad most people I remember are still here. That is awesome! Anyway, please advise if you can! Thanks as always! I told a friend just the other day that this whole setup would not have been possible for me to put together without the help,of my friends here. That is always a fact! Thanks in advance! I would love any suggestions.

Laura (quadgirl)

Hi Laura. It is great to see you again. So many veteran members have left, and it is great to see that a few real quaddies are still around.

As for your deck, do you have a head demagnetizer? It almost sounds like the head might be magnetized, perhaps by those few grotty tapes. The other thing I am thinking … and I hope I am wrong … is that the cleaning tape might have been abrasive, and running it 'several times' might have damaged the head.

Good luck! Mike.

Last edited:
Mike is right. It doesn't sound like an alignment issue so it very possibly could be a magnetized problem. Geez, I haven't seen a tape head demagnetizer in decades.
Honestly, I can't remember what the symptoms are for that issue so it could be wrong, but it might be worth popping the cover off the thing and doing a visual check of the entire head area. Maybe something broke off in there and there's a piece of foil or tape jammed in there somewhere along the tape path.

JUST UNPLUG IT BEFORE YOU TAKE THE COVER OFF!! (Obviously)

I have the same deck. It could be cotton fibers stuck in the tape guide on the side of the heads. Taking the top off and giving it a good inspection/cleaning is always good. I have issues with my play button, have deoxited several times, however, it often gives me a muffled and static sound until I stop it and press start several times then it clears up. Silly but lovely old machines!

Hi Laura. It is great to see you again. So many veteran members have left, and it is great to see that a few real quaddies are still around.

As for your deck, do you have a head demagnetizer? It almost sounds like the head might be magnetized, perhaps by those few grotty tapes. The other thing I am thinking … and I hope I am wrong … is that the cleaning tape might have been abrasive, and running it 'several times' might have damaged the head.

Good luck! Mike.

Thanks, Mike! So glad you are here. It has been a while for sure. I immediately wondered about the need for a demagnetizer. I think the material on the “tape” I cleaned with is fairly soft, so maybe it does need de-magnetizing - which I have never done. Since local radio shack’s are a thing of the past, any idea where I can source a good one to try (demagnetizer)? It would be so nice if that were the issue.

Mike is right. It doesn't sound like an alignment issue so it very possibly could be a magnetized problem. Geez, I haven't seen a tape head demagnetizer in decades.
Honestly, I can't remember what the symptoms are for that issue so it could be wrong, but it might be worth popping the cover off the thing and doing a visual check of the entire head area. Maybe something broke off in there and there's a piece of foil or tape jammed in there somewhere along the tape path.

JUST UNPLUG IT BEFORE YOU TAKE THE COVER OFF!! (Obviously)
Thanks, Jon! I love that you have kept this thing going so long, by the way, not to mention the priceless help over the years. I have had to clean out tape pieces before, but I am fairly sure no tape is in there. Before I disconnect to look under the hood, I will find a way to demagnetize. But definitely will go that route next and see what it looks like in there. I really did have a marathon session the other day and the unit was warm and working well. Thanks for the help! Take care.

I have the same deck. It could be cotton fibers stuck in the tape guide on the side of the heads. Taking the top off and giving it a good inspection/cleaning is always good. I have issues with my play button, have deoxited several times, however, it often gives me a muffled and static sound until I stop it and press start several times then it clears up. Silly but lovely old machines!

Thanks zmacman. I will do this, then. That is also what Jon said. And, btw, I have found that when it does the static-y thing, I deoxit but also push in the record button with play and then click through stop, play record, fast foreward buttons as well and that always clears it righ up. There is also a product called Corrosion-X that a fellow in Portland, I believe, who woked on some Sansui boards of mine told me about. It seems to last longer than de-oxit. Thanks for the reminder about possible cotton fibers in there.

I would try this one ... https://www.amazon.com/DEMAGNETIZER...447&sr=8-1&keywords=8+track+tape+demagnetizer

It is inexpensive, and will certainly work better then the cartridge-type. You might not need it again, so I wouldn't spend a lot.
I bought this one on kijiji for $20 (Canadian) a few months ago for my reel to reel decks ...

P1030089.JPG

Just be careful, and follow the instructions to the letter. If you don't, you could ruin the head. Just take your time and take the cover off to get better access. Good luck!

So. . . I went into my all-things-music and hardware closet and lo and behold found the following! I must have gotten in when purchasing my long gone teac quad rtr or something. Is there any reason to think these things break, or should it work fine? Also, do I need to get very close, like right on the heads, to demagnetize or would it be worth a shot to see if there were a bit of improvement just getting it in the front tape door slot ( in order to avoid unattaching everything and taking the top off)? If it seemed to make a difference then I would go ahead and do a good job with it and take my time looking over the innerds. Or should I cut to the chase and try to do it right? Please advise especially about the Robins demagnetizer. I cannot see why it wouldn’t work, but want to ask first. Imhave a dern meeting in the middle of the day, so that is putting a crimp on my plans to get right into this, but at least it will make me wait for some feedback fron y’all. Thanks as always! See pics below (I hope)

Attachments

• AEF6957A-FF8F-4450-9E16-61A24ABD39F7.jpeg
    AEF6957A-FF8F-4450-9E16-61A24ABD39F7.jpeg
    696.1 KB · Views: 100
  • 58EA2783-56D6-4C8D-9333-EDF341DAFAE0.jpeg
    58EA2783-56D6-4C8D-9333-EDF341DAFAE0.jpeg
    956.2 KB · Views: 97
  • C8FAE310-591C-4DD6-93D6-06C564284085.jpeg
    C8FAE310-591C-4DD6-93D6-06C564284085.jpeg
    940.2 KB · Views: 96
That should work fine. According to the manual, my TEAC unit has "a pleasant buzzing sound" to indicate that it is working and as a reminder to turn power off when finished. It also says that playback noise distortion and decreased high-frequency response and signal to noise ratio can be caused by "magnetized heads or tape guides on the deck".

Here are the 'OPERATION NOTES' for my TEAC unit:

1. Turn off AC power to the tape deck.
2. Plug the E-3 power cord into an AC outlet.
3. a) Slide the E-3 power switch ON; b) bring the tip very close to the head; c) gently move it up and down across the head (or post) for a few seconds.
4. Slowly draw the demagnetizer away from the head; proceed to the next head or part slowly and evenly.
5. The same demagnetizing procedure should be followed on each head, capstan shaft and guide posts.
6. Upon completing these procedure, slowly draw away from the deck at least 12 inches (30 cm) before turning off the E-3 power switch to avoid magnetizing the areas again.
CAUTION: Keep the E-3 Demagnetizer well away from VU or other electric meters with electromagnetic meter movements.

Go get 'em!

Thanks for the written instructions! I feel very confidant about doing this. I will wait until I have time to make notes about what plugs into what and when I will be patient to do this. I love opening the covers. Since you were here years ago, Mike, my system is now very tidied up. I have my ht and 2channel system alonside my quad system and all the cables are hidden. So - more work when I get into having to fix things. The bright side is that I am going to do this 8 week job as a transition to my true retirement (as a young 55 year old!) and now I know what I will do with my time - hobbies! Quad and nature photography. I wish I had room for a “workshop” - I would have my second lesser quad system set up in there, a workbench with all my tools and parts out, amd have room for media storage! Maybe I will win the lottery! Ha!
951351DE-CEAF-47CC-83E2-5897B4E95113.jpeg
A340A0EE-51CA-49FC-830B-365310539F84.jpeg
755A2AC2-22B3-4FEF-A887-2778234ACA1E.jpeg
DF85BE44-A884-44B7-8A21-C7B323CAFA2C.jpeg
755A2AC2-22B3-4FEF-A887-2778234ACA1E.jpeg951351DE-CEAF-47CC-83E2-5897B4E95113.jpeg
A340A0EE-51CA-49FC-830B-365310539F84.jpeg
DF85BE44-A884-44B7-8A21-C7B323CAFA2C.jpeg

Back