Help please - Akai Cr80DSS just started sounding bad

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the videos, nobody showed the pull of the head of the demagnetizer so strongly. I hope that was normal, but both decks had the pull to the chassis, just the akai was stronger.

The strong magnetic pull of the Han-D-Mag is normal. I forgot to mention.

Is there anyone who does thorough work to make a more pristine-playing, well-aligned restoration of these that you would recommend? I do not want to pay and have many future repairs and I will only feed it good tapes. I may consider having one of mine done up right, but which one if I do and is there someone who does truly understand quad decks well?

You might want to ask that question again in a separate thread perhaps. There are people on the forum who could recommend someone closer to you who may have missed your question due to it having been being buried in your long post. I have a few people in the past who have serviced my decks. One really knows quadraphonic gear and the other didn’t but was useful nonetheless. Unfortunately they are in the Chicago area. PM me if you want more info on the quad-head tech. He may accept work via mail. The primary reason that a machine will eat a tape is that the tape itself has a flaw, the main one being the splice being weak. It is a good idea to re-inforce the splice on the other side of the foil with standard 1/4 splicing tape.

... I love to try to tinker and then my gemini self will vascilate back to only wanting to listen and not mess with equipment.

I hear you on that. Fixing/dealing with gear and listening takes two different parts of the brain and only a select few manage to pull off both simultaneously. In my perfect world, everything works as intended at my command. I’m still far off from that world.

I would love a tour of quad homes in the US and abroad!...visits to quad homes to live and learn would be cool!

It’s always nice to be able to compare one another’s systems, if only to gauge how close to “perfect” your own system is . It’s hard to find like-minds who are nearby to appreciate our hobby to the same degree that we do.

Thanks for all that Zabble! I actually repair the foil splice and put a reinforcement on the other side as you said. I will PM you is necessary and may post elsewhere for a quad fixer if need be. Glad to know it wasn’t some weird thing to have that strong magnetic pull when using Han-D-Mag! Thanks for the continued help.

Back