Help with some Oppo 103 specs, please

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
*decided to go for it*

The 103 will play 4K BD's, but not "natively"--it upscales, and the upscaling is quite well regarded. (I'd give you a firsthand opinion, only I don't have a 4K television.)

Otherwise: sadly no, the 103 won't play SACD-Rs or DVD-Rs. On the upside: you can use it to rip SACDs. And overall it's a great machine with a rock-solid transport and reasonably quick startup.

Thanks!
I pulled the trigger, but very sad it won't play the discs I burn. Guess I'll have to keep my old bdp-80 working as well.

I hear you. My DV-980H is still in service--although I've relegated it to a secondary system in my office. For the most part, though, I've ripped my SACD-Rs and DVD-Rs (or else I've, ahem, "found" ripped versions of them), and I play them as ISOs, DSFs, or FLACs using foobar2000 or (as needed) VLC Media Player.

Thanks!
I pulled the trigger, but very sad it won't play the discs I burn. Guess I'll have to keep my old bdp-80 working as well.
Play these rips via thumb drive inserted into the USB port on front of player. I found USB3 thumb drives to work smoother when playing files than the standard USB2 drives (the cheaper older drives).

Get yourself a media player and use the 103 to rip your SACDs.

The latest Intel NUC 8th gen will also output 4K UHD rips but you need specific model BD drives with specific firmware to rip These NUCs play up to 192/24 7.1 FLACs to so possible to play all your discs once converted to FLAC (for Audio) and MKV (for HD 1080p and 4K 2160p Video) and will play DTS-HDMA, TrueHD, Atmos etc via HDMI passthrough to an AVR)

Play these rips via thumb drive inserted into the USB port on front of player. I found USB3 thumb drives to work smoother when playing files than the standard USB2 drives (the cheaper older drives).

instead of thumb drives you can also use SSD's using a cheap USB 3.0 adapter on amazon.

SSD's allow for larger storage (up to 1 TB or more). I'm not aware of any 1TB thumb drives (they seem to have topped out at 256GB)

If you’re playing via USB there’s no advantage with SSD. Better to spend on a larger capacity USB hard drive.

2TB thumb drives are WAY more expensive than a 2TB SSD

Also, you can get USB 3.1 and USB-c adapters now for SSD's so IMO the tech in the adapters is more current compared to the baked in tech in the older USB thumb drives and it's that tech which is the bottleneck (or vice versa the reason) for greater speed.

Also, the USB ports on the oppo's top out at different capacities so be sure to track that.

Last edited:
Last edited:
It’s not an SSD drive it’s a hard disk drive

which is not a thumb drive per our discussion

SSD's are faster, more reliable and QUIETER than a spinning HDD (hence the SOLID STATE title)

The point is thumb drives are dead, either use an SSD with adapter or a spinning external HDD if you can stand the noise.

1. SSD's offer larger capacity than thumb drives
2. SSD's capacities are cheaper than thumb drives
3. SSD's are quieter than spinning HDD's
4. SSD adapters are faster than thumb drives or Spinning HDD's.

all for the cost of an $9.00 amazon adapter

please

Back