• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not request or offer for sale or trade copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

Henley, Don - THE END OF INNOCENCE [DTS]

Rate the DTS-CD of Don Henley - THE END OF INNOCENCE

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Administrator
Staff member
Please post your thoughts and comments on the DTS CD disc. This disc was sold both in the original jewel box and the DVD-A sized "super" jewel box. However, all versions are DTS CDs (DTS MUSIC DISCS). There was no DVD-A release of this title.

The title track is encoded in 6.1! The remaining tracks are 5.1.

jefe1

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I like it, my copy is in the SJB, bought it used in Italy! Likewise one less point for no hirez...

Jazzer

An excellent mix and material which really benefits from the additional space and detail. As good as dts cd gets

EMB

Still Alive Vinyl Mod
Staff member
An '8' for me...great sound and mix but can't say the album (or Henley solo) ever impressed me much beyond "The Boys of Summer."

ED :)

I say 9 points.

I agree with a couple of other reviewers here. It's an excellent album and mix, and I'm only shaving off a point because of the DTS (which actually sounds quite good).

JonUrban

Administrator
Staff member
This is a very strange mix. You can tell it's "early 5.1" (or 6.1 in the case of the title track). I ripped this disc to PC and played it back channel by channel in Sound Forge and it's clearly NOT an Elliot Scheiner mix, as stuff is all over the place in no coherent fashion. It's more of a "wall of sound" than a surround mix when pulled apart.

Credits in the booklet say the "5.1 Digital Editing" was done by Ric Wilson at Digisonics. As a listener, you can never tell how much leeway a remix engineer has with a particular title, so there's no bashing of a remix engineer here, I just would have preferred to hear a more demo quality mix, especially from an early DTS title.

So, I will give this a 7. There are 4 "hits" on the disc, and they sound very good per se, but I can't help but wondering what this album would sound like on an ES mixed DVD-Audio, SACD or BluRay.

The Bright Side

I'd give this a 7 as well, same reasons as Jon. Good album with a good mix for sure, and very good sound quality to my ears. Could have been better, but that still means it's a very enjoyable disc!

MIDIQ

500 Club - QQ All Star
Real good music and real nice mix. I really like this one.A 9.

HDave

With 7 songs that charted this is a good disc to listen to, a typical DTS release with some decent sonics and mix. Voted 8 mainly for number of quality written tracks.

markshan

This is not only my favorite album by a solo Eagle, I dare say it ranks with the best of the group's output (something Frey could never say). The 5.1 mix, while I won't go so far as to call it inspired, is very good. The opening Bruce Hornsby piano on the title track grabs you, and the ear candy just keeps coming. "New York Minute" is a track that was made for surround, with the jazzy opening coming from the front and the more modern sounds coming from the rear. The two power ballads which were the biggest hits from the album, "Last Worthless Evening" and "Heart of the Matter" both sound bigger in surround. The mixes take a good thing and make it even better.

Don't worry that it's "only" dts. The fidelity here is wonderful and this album sounds a lot less dated than many of it's contemporaries. Highly recommended.

4-earredwonder

This is a very strange mix. You can tell it's "early 5.1" (or 6.1 in the case of the title track). I ripped this disc to PC and played it back channel by channel in Sound Forge and it's clearly NOT an Elliot Scheiner mix, as stuff is all over the place in no coherent fashion. It's more of a "wall of sound" than a surround mix when pulled apart.

Credits in the booklet say the "5.1 Digital Editing" was done by Ric Wilson at Digisonics. As a listener, you can never tell how much leeway a remix engineer has with a particular title, so there's no bashing of a remix engineer here, I just would have preferred to hear a more demo quality mix, especially from an early DTS title.

So, I will give this a 7. There are 4 "hits" on the disc, and they sound very good per se, but I can't help but wondering what this album would sound like on an ES mixed DVD-Audio, SACD or BluRay.
Jon, I gave it a 7 too because the sound quality is inconsistent from track to track and I've heard MUCH better from DTS Entertainment [like Lyle Lovett's Joshua Judges Ruth which is consistently brilliant]. A wonderful album, to be sure, but as you assert....it's NO Steve Wilson nor Elliot Scheiner remix!

Last edited: