Here's an oddity! Japan CD-4 - USA GRT Q8

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q-Eight

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Dig this auction for a Japanese CD-4 disc presumably featuring Boots Randolph.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BOOTS-RAND...829972?hash=item3af9030d54:g:UNAAAOSw0W5aH2AD

Notice the track listing.

Now, feast your eyes upon this wonderful Q8 that I have in my collection:

Boots.jpg

The songs are a little out of order, but it appears to be the same album only with some crazy Japanese title!!
I'm thinking about buying it just for giggles!! (The Q8 does suffer from a swapped channel)

Dig this auction for a Japanese CD-4 disc presumably featuring Boots Randolph.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BOOTS-RAND...829972?hash=item3af9030d54:g:UNAAAOSw0W5aH2AD

Notice the track listing.

Now, feast your eyes upon this wonderful Q8 that I have in my collection:

View attachment 31405

The songs are a little out of order, but it appears to be the same album only with some crazy Japanese title!!
I'm thinking about buying it just for giggles!! (The Q8 does suffer from a swapped channel)

No bids. Apparently not a lot of interest in Boots Randolph in Quad...

Well, I won the auction and got the record tonight.

I really like Japanese CD-4 vinyl. I only have two, but they are much quieter than a lot of the US stuff. Still the usual clicks and pops but very light on surface noise. No erroneous noises either - I have a Project 3/Enoch Light CD-4 that has some sort of weird carrier hum going on - like it was cut incorrectly because as soon as the CD-4 light comes on, there is some serious hum happening. Switching to stereo mode, the hum is still there but not as noticeable. It's the only record in the collection that does this.

Anyway, this Boots Randolph CD-4 is exactly the same as the Q8 tape. It's a really nice mix that lends itself to CD-4 nicely. It's virtually identical to the mix on the Q8 tape.

You paid a good price for a genuinely obscure Japan title that, as noted above, has scant interest to anyone but a dedicated quadraphile (Boots' albums, alas, are very common and inexpensive thrift shop items to this day). Boots was Nashville-based and lumped in with and marketed to a country audience, but his music was generally more cosmopolitan than that niche might imply. He played on probably a few thousand dates over the years (including his own), and he played great on anything he did, from country and pop to rock; he was quite a versatile, talented fellow. I have many of his albums and some earlier RCA Victor sides (where the original "Yakety Sax" can be found, not the Monument remake that was the hit) and all are good, but you have to like this kind of instrumental work to appreciate the musicians involved, who were fine but let's face it, mainly earning a paycheck, and any artistry involved beyond talent should be considered a by-product rather than the intent.

Nice catch! :)

ED :)

It seemed a natural for me. I really dig the Project 3 / Enoch Light stuff. Having Big Band versions of contemporary hits -- in Quad -- just sounds like a no-brainer. They're also a really nifty snapshot of what was popular at the time, y'know, often times what may have been the most popular song in 1972, barely gets a footnote of a mention in today's musical landscape.

What I like about this LP is that unlike the Q8, the LP has the songs separated as the slower numbers on Side 1 and the uptempo, pop numbers on Side 2. I can see myself wearing out Side 2.

Since I've gotten my CD-4 setup working reliably, I've been enjoying the system. Two other recent wins (still waiting for them to come in) are Tony Orlando & Dawns' Greatest Hits (have the Q8 - love it) and another rare Japanese title: Kappa Maki by Hot Butter which I also scored for $40. I remember a time when that title, along with the other Hot Butter CD-4 were just going absolutely bat shit on ebay. If I'm not mistaken, these titles routinely topped four or five hundred dollars.

Now I just wish that Jerry Lee Lewis "Supersession" CD-4 would show it's face again. I haven't seen that one come around in years. Also wish the Japan-only Elvis CD-4's would come down in price. A fellow could have the whole set in CD-4 between the Japan & US releases.

Back