• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not request or offer for sale or trade copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

Holy Crap! A new NUMBER 1!!

markshan

600 Club - QQ All-Star
Yes.. I’d love any or all of those ‘fantastic four’ (or 5-Secret life of plants) remixed by our old friends ES or SW. :banana:
We can dream can’t we
Let's have a surround BluRay with video of Stevie's set from the "One to One" concert as bonus material.

Scott65

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Intriguing! I had never owned a copy of Black Sea until this Blu-Ray release, and its the one which I like the most of the XTC releases so far, I just like the songs. Still another listen (I do 3) before I vote in the Poll.
I waited years for this to be released in 5.1 and I was not disappointed (y):)

Philip Spinner

800 Club - QQ All Star
Yes.. I’d love any or all of those ‘fantastic four’ (or 5-Secret life of plants) remixed by our old friends ES or SW. :banana:
We can dream can’t we
That would be great but even better I would like it if Stevie Wonder himself would take a shot at mixing his own albums in surround. I think he is certainly qualified and I would love to see what he could accomplish. With a little help of course.

dobyblue

400 Club - QQ All Star
Quite surprised to see the 2003 SACD of DSOTM leads the way with most 1/10 votes, not surprised to see Bat Out Of Hell 5.1 SACD is 4th in 1/10 votes, lol.

Guess I need to check out the new #1!

LuvMyQuad

800 Club - QQ All Star
Quite surprised to see the 2003 SACD of DSOTM leads the way with most 1/10 votes, not surprised to see Bat Out Of Hell 5.1 SACD is 4th in 1/10 votes, lol.

Guess I need to check out the new #1!
What do you mean by a 1/10 vote? There are several releases that have more 10 votes than DSOTM, and there are many releases that have less than the two 10 votes BOOH has.

Clint Eastwood

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
This is not a comment on the quality of either of the "new" frontrunners....I haven't heard Black Sea...not my cup of tea in the content arena....but I have heard Rush and it is excellent...BUT..Farewell only has 16 votes so far...mainly due to the price of the box set...all it would take is a couple of sub par votes and it's not at the top anymore...and I can see that happening...you can't please everybody and tastes are subjective...and Black Sea only has 34 votes...this one is very affordable and I'm sure it sounds excellent...but I didn't buy it due to the content...and I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels that way...Dark Side has 89 votes of 10...Black Sea and Farewell only have 50 votes total...Brothers In Arms has 130 votes of 10 out of 199 total votes and they are WAY down the list at 9.40..

So what am I saying...congrats to Rush for a great START...but it ain't over till the fat lady posts...the difference between Rush at 9.81 and Pink Floyd at 9.72 is so slim in real terms when you consider how few votes Rush has at this point...a couple of "average" votes is all it will take for Rush to fall...I look for Floyd to grab the lead once again:)
I'm going to pull a Gos here...a month later...look what happened HERE

4-earredwonder

I'm going to pull a Gos here...a month later...look what happened HERE
I'm sure we all have our own personal #1 and Polls, being what they are .... subjective......IMO, are arbitrary indicators of excellence. Almost No Classical nor jazz but that's OK...even though there are some absolute stunners in those categories, as well.

If someone asked me what my favorite surround album of all time was....I'd look at him and say "REALLY?" Do I really have to choose?

Since some of my favorite albums of all time haven't been granted surround releases....and probably NEVER will..........good thing I've got all that music in my mind.........with my indelible habit of remixing it all in surround! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQEQenuItIM

bossfan

400 Club - QQ All Star
Well part of it is that only people who like Rush are buying this set. I can't stand Rush. If it was $15 or $20 I might consider buying it. And that would take its rating WAY down. I recently bought a rush surround sound release. Listened to itt once or twice but can't stand Geddy's voice. I won't vote on it because of my bias but despite decent surround my bias would not be fair to the title.

Last edited:

sbrom

300 Club - QQ All Star
I can't imagine this hobby w/o the polls! :D

I started listening to surround a couple years ago. This poll, in conjunction with the associated thread comments, helped me decide which titles to audition and purchase.

I've got 8 of the top 10, 15 of the top 20, and 63 of the top 100. The ones I don't have are either off the reservation w.r.t. my tastes or not available at reasonable cost.

Oh, and my #1? Ask me today and I'll answer "Eye In The Sky". Ask me tomorrow and it will be something else :mad:@:

Clint Eastwood

I can't imagine this hobby w/o the polls! :D

I started listening to surround a couple years ago. This poll, in conjunction with the associated thread comments, helped me decide which titles to audition and purchase.

I've got 8 of the top 10, 15 of the top 20, and 63 of the top 100. The ones I don't have are either off the reservation w.r.t. my tastes or not available at reasonable cost.

Oh, and my #1? Ask me today and I'll answer "Eye In The Sky". Ask me tomorrow and it will be something else :mad:@:
That's why I joined the forum...the poll threads...there were other sites that covered some of the titles...but the so called "professional" reviewers usually glossed over the important things(at least for me)and made general comments about surround sound and not that specific title...it was more valuable to hear from posters who actually purchased these titles and they would cover questions that I was concerned about..

These polls have been my treasure and also my ruin. Since 5 years ago, I have been looking closely to all the titles on the first 200 positions......and I have to admit that I have a compulsion to buy all these 200 titles (whenever there is a new entry I start immediately looking for it on amazon or ebay). Of course this hobby has allowed me to get to know new music or artists that otherwise I would have never listened to. Is also true that some titles (in the top 200) I have only listened to them once or are still wrapped (getting a ton of dust). As of today, I am only missing 3 titles on the top 200: The O´jays - ship ahoy (which I had, but needed the cash someday), Tom Cochrane and Red Rider - Trapeze (I only have the DVD version) and Kraftwerk´s - Minimum Maximum (I don't want this title, because the 3D catalogue is far superior).
Honestly, I couldn't live without these polls, is an obsession to me. And is also applicable to the whole site, I couldn't live without QQ, there are a lot of great people over here, some very technical, passionate and fun (like Snood who I enjoy a lot). I better get addicted to surround music than drugs or alcohol (that's my line to my wife).

Scott65

300 Club - QQ All-Star
I have both DSTOM and BS (that's Black Sea, not something else...) and love both albums (I have several copies of both). At the moment my favourite is BS but that could change (especially if we get ES in 5.1)

Everyone has his own poll anyway.
My no. 1 is still Gaucho!

Which disc is no. 1 in this poll here is not important
to me.
But the polls lead me to new music I never heard of
and I‘m very thankful for that!
Gaucho???????????????? Bwahaha! which one? DTS? DVD-Audio? or SACD? Is there a BRD yet? I go with DVD-A with DTS close 2nd and in fact sounds better on some cuts.

fredblue

QQ member number 4041
Gaucho???????????????? Bwahaha! which one? DTS? DVD-Audio? or SACD? Is there a BRD yet? I go with DVD-A with DTS close 2nd and in fact sounds better on some cuts.
i'm not sure there's any appreciable difference between the Surround on the Hybrid MultiCh SACD & the DVD-A of Gaucho?

pretty sure the earlier DTS CD release has some mix differences from the Hybr SACD & DVD-A iirc but it's been a while since I looked at comparing this kinda stuff so i could be wrong

~dave~~wave~

[Bump for the new month, thanks Jon, Homer and all the mods.]

I was gratified to see Swingle Singers enter the chart at #24, a year after release, by finally getting enough votes.
Great to have the Swingle Singers [finally] in QUAD. They were a pretty hot group back in the day as they introduced classical music to the masses in a jazz setting.
The vinyl back then was crap so to hear them unadulterated without ticks/pops is a major plus in my book.
I'm looking forward to the Swingle Singers.

Here's an example of how your vote counts.
Last month, it had only 8 votes.
After a few weeks of daily spins, I decided to vote.
Shortly, it got the tenth vote required to make the chart.

At that point it was seven 10s and three 9s, a score of 9.70, which would have made it #2 behind DSOTM.
However, before June 1st it got one more vote, an 8.
Dropped the score to 9.55, tied for 23rd with Speaking in Tongues, .02 points ahead of Skylarking.

No poll is perfect, I take the ratings with not a pinch, but a handful of salt.
No accounting for taste, herd mentality, contrariness, spite or other human foibles.

This is pure democracy, one member, one vote.
No competency or residency test, the majority rules, let the chips fall where they may.
I'm thankful to have it as a resource, long may it endure.

JonUrban

Administrator
Staff member
[Bump for the new month, thanks Jon, Homer and all the mods.]

I was gratified to see Swingle Singers enter the chart at #24, a year after release, by finally getting enough votes.

Here's an example of how your vote counts.
Last month, it had only 8 votes.
After a few weeks of daily spins, I decided to vote.
Shortly, it got the tenth vote required to make the chart.

At that point it was seven 10s and three 9s, a score of 9.70, which would have made it #2 behind DSOTM.
However, before June 1st it got one more vote, an 8.
Dropped the score to 9.55, tied for 23rd with Speaking in Tongues, .02 points ahead of Skylarking.

No poll is perfect, I take the ratings with not a pinch, but a handful of salt.
No accounting for taste, herd mentality, contrariness, spite or other human foibles.

This is pure democracy, one member, one vote.
No competency or residency test, the majority rules, let the chips fall where they may.
I'm thankful to have it as a resource, long may it endure.

So really, the question of TITLE vs TITLE keeps rearing it's ugly head when it comes to the polls. The polls are NOT a competition. If one title is ahead of another, it does not mean it's better, or it sounds better. It's a reference number. I read that people have stopped voting because they don't like the results.

Well, how about we stop the rankings and just default all polls to alphabetical order, with each title getting a score. No DSOTM vs TOMITA, no comparison, just look up the title you're wondering about and see what the score is. Is it good, or is it bad? Comparisons can't mean shit if it's a classical release vs. Alice Cooper.

Think about it. I will do what you all want, as it's no skin off my back. I started these polls back when, in 2005, just so we could have a place to go to get opinions on weekly (!!) releases. It was never meant to be a comparison deal. That was probably a mistake on my part to begin with.

One thing I can tell you for sure. We are not going to change the way the scores are tabulated. They are fair and every title is treated the same. Weighing the score by factoring in the number of votes means nothing to the validity of the release, it would be something that would only mean something when judging one title vs another, and that's not the point of the polls.

Please feel free to discuss..........

PS - I will run a new poll results table tonight!

4-earredwonder

So really, the question of TITLE vs TITLE keeps rearing it's ugly head when it comes to the polls. The polls are NOT a competition. If one title is ahead of another, it does not mean it's better, or it sounds better. It's a reference number. I read that people have stopped voting because they don't like the results.

Well, how about we stop the rankings and just default all polls to alphabetical order, with each title getting a score. No DSOTM vs TOMITA, no comparison, just look up the title you're wondering about and see what the score is. Is it good, or is it bad? Comparisons can't mean shit if it's a classical release vs. Alice Cooper.

Think about it. I will do what you all want, as it's no skin off my back. I started these polls back when, in 2005, just so we could have a place to go to get opinions on weekly (!!) releases. It was never meant to be a comparison deal. That was probably a mistake on my part to begin with.

One thing I can tell you for sure. We are not going to change the way the scores are tabulated. They are fair and every title is treated the same. Weighing the score by factoring in the number of votes means nothing to the validity of the release, it would be something that would only mean something when judging one title vs another, and that's not the point of the polls.

Personally, I've always thought the polls WERE deceiving and in NO way reflect the actual votes cast. It seems in the early days of QQ WAY MORE VOTES were cast compared to today. I do try to vote when I've sufficiently listened to a QUAD/5.1 remaster but lately, only a paltry few votes seem to be the norm.

I think it's a great idea, Jon, to rearrange the titles alphabetically with the scores and let the prospective buyer decide for themselves what's worthy of a purchase.

And a LOT of those titles are sadly, OOP!

MrSmithers

500 Club - QQ All-Star

They tried to make me go to Pollhab - and I said No No No!

Please don’t change it Jon, it works brilliantly just as it is, and I think you underestimate how much of a great guide it is to members and non members alike... So many titles I have found from the polls. As you said you can’t compare different titles of different genres - people should be clued up enough to work it out...

It’s not about competition but the numbers do give a good guide with enough votes...

We’re adults, we can work it out..