Dual Disc Hoovering up Hooverphonic DualDisc

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eggplant

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
Having just found out about it's existence, I'd like to get my hands on one.
Not so crazy about paying $44.00 for the one copy left on Amazon, I looked into the other (used/new) sellers.

Trouble is there seem to be many editions of this thing, and many are incorrectly thrown under Amazon's Import DualDisc listing. I've contacted several sellers -- only two responded, one with this:

European edition of their fifth studio album features a bonus disc of
remixes of all the tracks features on the album. 22 tracks in all.
Hooverphonic is based in Belgium, a small European country with a strong
music scene featuring an open air festival tradition that starts as early as
1959. Hooverphonic's career has been marked from the beginning by
international recognition, when the song '2 Wicky' was chosen for the movie
'Stealing Beauty' by Italian director Bernardo Bertolucci. From then on,
their music kept appearing in movies, TV shows and commercials in the
States, as well as in Spain and Japan. If Hooverphonic's '97 debut 'A New
Stereophonic Sound Spectacular' clearly showed trip hop roots, the band has
evolved since with three albums in five years. In 2001 they headlined at the
Werchter festival in front of a crowd of 50.000. In 2003 they released 'Sit
Down and Listen to', live recorded with a string quartet and followed by a
tour with more than 60 concerts in 9 countries. Sony. 2005.

Of course this doesn't answer my question.
Is this the one I want?

I'm looking into this as well, the best I have found is CDUniverse at about $35. If I find anything better I'll post back.

Believe it or not, I found out about this dual disc at overstock.com about a year and a half ago, which is where I purchased mine with the dts track. I just checked and they still have 4 copies left, 31.43 or 34.38 with postage. Good luck.

Great tip, Philip!

Ordered one right up.

Found a coupon for 7% off, said it would apply at checkout, but got zero.

I've known about the big O for years, but this is the first time I've ever actually bought something. Since you said "believe it or not", I'm guessing you agree the site is mostly worthless. Ever ordered from them before?

$2.95 total shipping on any order

Jimi Hendrix: Live at the Fillmore East (DVD) $11.99
G3 - Live in Concert (DVD) $11.19 Shipped
The Strawbs - Live in Tokyo'75/Grave New World (DVD) $9.69
The Who - Tommy SACD (Deluxe Edition) $22.39

This one is really good. The reason for the high price would have to be because you get TWO dual discs, each with a different version of the album (redbook stereo on the cd sides and enhanced stereo, 5.1 dts, and 5.1 DD on the DVD sides).

Disc One is called "More Sweet Music" which is very lush with alot of strings. Disc Two is called "No More Sweet Music" which is less....uh....sweet. And a very different take on the songs.

Great discrete mix. This is the first time I heard them. Portishead came to mind immediately. I might not have bit on this one if I hadn't found a vendor with one left for $19.99. But in hindsight, if I lost this one I would probably pay the full price for another.

Thanks for the tip on this one!

btw, this one is DTS 96/24 for all those interested. It sounds quite good and has a pretty immersing mix from what I've heard so far.

Nice stuff! Pleasantly downbeat and/or spacy. It's now on my buy list. $30 + shipping seems to be the best right now deal, will add eBay Search on it.

To reciprocate: check out Trespassers William (not surround wish it was)

Thanks for the tip eggplant and Philip. I picked this up from Overstock dot com and so far I'm really enjoying it. The surround mix is really nice and while I can't say it's their best release, it is pretty good.

Don't rule out the brick and morter sellers, I just got one in Portland Oregon from a store. This store was moving out and consolidating to a single location, so all discs were 30% off. I did some more hoovering at those prices, got a YellowNote 5.1 dual disc, never heard of them , didn't know it existed, but I was in hoover mode.

Vinylguy4

This probably belongs in a different thread about Yellow Note instead of Hooverphonic. But I did find this disc is same section as Hooverphonic.

Yellow Note - We Love Everybody, You're Next!!!!
I did crack open this Yellow Note disc, it is a DVD-A and Dolby digital 5.1 dual disc. So can be added to the list of High Res discs.
The music is electronic, actual songs and not just a bunch of noises. Each song is about 3 to 4 minutes which is good. Only 2 songs fell into my dud catagory but rest was pretty good. No 15 minute "can't wait for it to be over" repetative stuff on this disc. Start the song, get the groove going, end the song. I'm not an electronic music aficionado
so take that into account when for my opinion here.
The surround mix was aggressive but very tasteful. Some of the notes/noises moved from speaker to speaker but no nausiating swirl crap. There was usually something interesting going on in both rears.
5.1 mix by Mr. Haynes at 5.1 Production Services.
1st video no meant for those under 18.

This one goes in my keeper pile.

Vinylguy4

Just so you know, I happen to like nauseating swirl crap.
The good kind, anyhow.

I picked the Yellow Note disc up and you'd like the mix. Maybe not lots of swirling, but there is ping ponging beats that move not only left and right, but also towards you. I've only had a chance to listen to the first 5 tracks, but it's got a very aggressive mix in general. After the first three tracks (I think it's) track 4 seems a little tame, but only because of the wild ride of the first 3. A worthy purchase :phones

Back