Hopes up for Genesis Live Boxset

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Stevie

As I read on the German Genesis Fanclub Page, there are indicators for a Genesis Live Box-set (Sacd/DVD)
http://www.genesis-fanclub.de/news-Genesis-Arbeiten-am-LiveBoxset-haben-begonnen-n110.html

It is thought to include Live (1973), Seconds Out (1977), Three Sides Live (1982), The Way We Walk: The Shorts (1992), The Way We Walk: The Longs (1993) as well as Live Over Europe (2007)

Now the information has become more specific, which puts my hopes up that it might come true:
Produces Nick Davis is said to have confirmed that the tracklist of The Way We Valk Vol. 1/2 would be restored to its original order for the re-release

http://www.genesis-fanclub.de/news-...werden-fuer-LiveBoxset-neu-geordnet-n114.html

Lets just hope that there will be SACDs indeed..

It's looking very good; these volumes would be restored (intermixed together) to original concert sequence!

This is a big deal to me, I've always been bugged about the two volume approach they originally took. I've always loved this particular set list and the related performances.

That will happen on Sept. 29, when Rhino releases "Genesis Live 1973-2007," a 10-disc set featuring five of the group's six official live albums -- it will include a spot for last year's "Live Over Europe" album from the 2007 reunion tour -- along with a wealth of unreleased material. Included in the latter will be "Live at the Rainbow 1973," an oft-bootlegged nine-song collection (portions of which have been previously released) recorded during October of that year in London after the release of "Selling England By the Pound."
Genesis members Banks and Rutherford rode herd on the remixing of the albums with Nick Davis. "Genesis Live," "Seconds Out" and "Live At The Rainbow 1973" all feature 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround Sound versions.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/genesis-rounds-out-reissues-with-live-box-1003992324.story

This is exhausting. Not only have some of the 5.1 mixes been scrapped, but so has DTS 96/24? I surrender. It's time to vote with my wallet; I'm not going back to the band for more abuse. They can keep it or sell it to the clueless lapdogs on the Official Forum.

Last edited:
I couldn't log into the Genesis forum so I left my comment in the Billboard article and will leave in other locations as well:

After two very fine boxes with high resolution SACD discs (import only) married to NTSC DVDs, I barely managed to obtain the 3rd (and arguably most important classic Gabriel material) box set in SACD but had to settle for PAL format DVDs at that). This requires that I maintain a special DVD player that plays PAL DVDs. The band has meant so much to me that I'm willing to do that. And now?

Fast forward to this Genesis live box announcement today; only Dolby Digital will be used for 5.1 mixes? This is akin to a transatlantic voyage atop a popsicle stick raft. The first slap in the face for diehard fans was dropping the SACD format altogether. Granted the DTS 96/24 on the DVDs would be an acceptable second best if it had to be. Now the other cheek is slapped by the notion that Dolby Digital (barely a music format at all) is the artist approved 5.1 standard! This is a pathetic retreat from the previous quality offered for the Genesis catalog.

The Genesis box set project started off on high ground with the best intentions. Mix engineer Nick Davis believes in high resolution surround music, the band has been supportive and quite happy with it as well. This signals a serious decline in my expectations from this once great band; total capitulation to save a few bucks. Thanks alot.

That's the best I can do to restrain myself from using the words that accurately describe what has happened to properly honoring some of the greatest music the world has ever known. Shame on Rhino for proposing this travesty and shame on Genesis for approving this degradation of what should have been the best presentation possible.

Will future boxes be mp3 only? There will be no more boxes; the music industry has already died for those in charge of these decisions. Stick a fork in it, it's done.

It's bad enough there's no SACDs, but no DTS 24/96? Comon folks, what's the point?

Don't bother with this one.

There'll be no SACDs.

The box will not contain Live over Europe, only a hole to put the original CD in.

Only Live 1973 and Seconds Out will have a 5.1 mix.

Biggest scam and biggest disappointment of the year so far.

Fast forward to this Genesis live box announcement today; only Dolby Digital will be used for 5.1 mixes? This is akin to a transatlantic voyage atop a popsicle stick raft. The first slap in the face for diehard fans was dropping the SACD format altogether. Granted the DTS 96/24 on the DVDs would be an acceptable second best if it had to be. Now the other cheek is slapped by the notion that Dolby Digital (barely a music format at all) is the artist approved 5.1 standard! This is a pathetic retreat from the previous quality offered for the Genesis catalog.

Tim, hopefully the Rhino announcement is just a clerical error as on July 7th Nick Davis replied in the progress report on the live release's as follows:
" everything that is having a 5.1 release will have both dolby digital and dts soundtracks.
there will be a second box containing the 3 sides live video in 5.1 plus the tracks from the album that are not covered."

I am a Genesis fan but I have never been a huge fan of any bands live recordings so haven't been paying alot of attention about the live release of the Genesis boxset. Guess we will wait and see but based on Nick's comments DTS should be on there.

peter

Tim, hopefully the Rhino announcement is just a clerical error as on July 7th Nick Davis replied in the progress report on the live release's as follows:
" everything that is having a 5.1 release will have both dolby digital and dts soundtracks.
there will be a second box containing the 3 sides live video in 5.1 plus the tracks from the album that are not covered."

I am a Genesis fan but I have never been a huge fan of any bands live recordings so haven't been paying alot of attention about the live release of the Genesis boxset. Guess we will wait and see but based on Nick's comments DTS should be on there.

peter

Well ,as long as it's DTS 96/24 it's not bad, and if the 3 sides live is on DTS too, heck, I'll buy it...

We'll see how deep the cut will be...

I hope that these are also going to be available individually - I only want the Gabriel disc(s)...no use for Phil in front of the drumkit.

I absolutely MUST MUST MUST have Seconds Out in quality 5.1 format. Everything else is a nice to have status.

Really want to be wrong on this. It is my understanding that the 5.1 versions are only in the box.

Either we are expecting shoddy product or it's just the write-up that's shoddy?

Addendum on Billboard Genesis article:

"A clarification for Doubleneck77. Nick Davis pointed out in his forum that on the surround live albums, DTS track is there. Billboard just reported what press release said in an incomplete way."

Thanks to Aberni for clarification. I really hope this is true. Before I posted my complaint, I did read no less than three other references on the internet to this box having only Dolby Digital surround tracks. I cheerfully stand corrected. I'll return to the official Genesis website and see if it's been corrected there...

Addendum on Billboard Genesis article:

"A clarification for Doubleneck77. Nick Davis pointed out in his forum that on the surround live albums, DTS track is there. Billboard just reported what press release said in an incomplete way."

Thanks to Aberni for clarification. I really hope this is true. Before I posted my complaint, I did read no less than three other references on the internet to this box having only Dolby Digital surround tracks. I cheerfully stand corrected. I'll return to the official Genesis website and see if it's been corrected there...

(y)
Dare I say "whew!!" ?:phones

Sounds like good news on the DTS front (thanks Peter for the follow-up), but the information on all of this still seems spotty to me. Nick is never a very good writer and so I cannot tell if there is DTS or DTS 96/24. Lots of speculation at the moment but it appears there will be yet ANOTHER box set with videos, as it was mentioned by Nick that TSL will have 5.1 video in a second box set. DVD or Blu-Ray, which videos, blah blah blah? Who knows? Not even the band probably.

My previous comments still apply; DTS is a requirement if I decide to let the band win yet again. No SACD (which, I'm sorry, still really bothers me), no TSL 5.1, no WWW 5.1, no LOE stereo or 5.1, no material from from the Mama tour or Invisible tour in stereo much less 5.1. The bonus disc looks to be the Rainbow 5.1 which certainly is intriguing, but I could be tempted into buying Live and Seconds Out separately. I'd like to see what this speculation about a second box develops into. Quite possible that we see surround mixes from a Mama tour and/or Invisible tour there instead as part of the video presentation. I'm still miffed there won't be audio-only presentations of some of this material in stereo or 5.1, but a second box, especially in Blu-Ray (not likely to happen) would be somewhat of a compromise.

One things for certain, if I enable them and buy the box, I have no room to complain after the fact. We've been jerked around on these boxes multiple times. In any case, I'll just wait and see what actually comes this fall and what comes of the second box before I react any more. If they all had their stories straight, official press releases were checked for accuracy, and Nick would stop releasing little snippets of unclear info, none of us would jump to conclusions. For example, if they were forthright with information about the second box before revealing the contents of the first box, perhaps many folks would realize the grand plan wasn't as bad as it appeared. I've learned my lesson and will just wait it out...but I maintain that the whole experience, ever since Day 1 with rumors of Lamb in 5.1 YEARS ago, has been one long frustrating journey. It never had to be as difficult as the band made it out to be.

Back