Hot New Audio Product Tops Amazon Sales

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hmm.. hasn't got quite the same transatlantic air of glamour about it that a QQ convention in sunny San Fran (or LA or Vegas, err.. wherever all you Quad lot hang out) would have :sun

It certainly hasn't, but I had a nice record shopping trip in Bristol (where, thinking about it, I met another SHF guy) then over to Bath where Tonepub generously bought me dinner and gave me a replacement arm for my turntable. He's seen some very expensive hi-fi and was nice enough not to snort at me with what I use/was using.

It certainly hasn't, but I had a nice record shopping trip in Bristol (where, thinking about it, I met another SHF guy) then over to Bath where Tonepub generously bought me dinner and gave me a replacement arm for my turntable. He's seen some very expensive hi-fi and was nice enough not to snort at me with what I use/was using.

He sounds like a great chap! I hate snooty people.. Hi-Fi snobs are the worst ("here's the esoteric bit".. long story.. :rolleyes: )

What's Bristol like these days? For music buying I mean, not been for yonks.

Rule No. 1: Never grow up
Rule No. 2: Inside every old person is a young one trying to escape!

You're a man unto my own heart Duncan :)
I was talking about you to my Mum last night (your 4 ears must have been burning! :D ) and how kind you were with your Arlo offer and Quad/CD4 advice and everything.. maybe one day when I grow up I too might be an audiophile! I'll probably end up in jail before then but still one can dream.. ha :eek:

Haven't been for a few years to be honest, Adam. I think there's two or three places there, but I've only been to Plastic Wax. They probably had thousands of 12" singles there, which was - as far as shopping was concerned - the main pull. This was before the vinyl revival over here. Now it seems 80s 12" singles are suddenly a lot thinner on the ground.

Rule No. 1: Never grow up
Rule No. 2: Inside every old person is a young one trying to escape!

Rule 3: Inside every fat person there's a couple of thinner ones trying to get out!
(Or a baby they didn't know they were carrying.. that's my excuse for being a lardarse anyway.. ) :ugham:

the room response is the limiting factor.

True that.

The one really pricey piece of gear -- especially today -- is a suitable room.
I've got one -- 15'3" ceiling and a nice open cavity to the right. A sunken, open living room with few reflections, and hundreds of books stacked floor-to-ceiling to absorb stray waves. I've enjoyed this for 26 years, the last half with a 2000-watt 6.1 monster setup with two 12" subs. One drawback is ... neighbors. I think the solution is to buy the townhouse on either side, then fill with packing foam.

Seriously, I am afraid to move.
The next house surely won't have this.
Even five-million-dollar homes don't.
So guess I'll just grow old and die here ... probably at the hand of a neighbor.

True that.

The one really pricey piece of gear -- especially today -- is a suitable room.
I've got one -- 15'3" ceiling and a nice open cavity to the right. A sunken, open living room with few reflections, and hundreds of books stacked floor-to-ceiling to absorb stray waves. I've enjoyed this for 26 years, the last half with a 2000-watt 6.1 monster setup with two 12" subs. One drawback is ... neighbors. I think the solution is to buy the townhouse on either side, then fill with packing foam.

Seriously, I am afraid to move.
The next house surely won't have this.
Even five-million-dollar homes don't.
So guess I'll just grow old and die here ... probably at the hand of a neighbor.
Sounds like a great room to listen in. Having been in a few recording studios the acoustics of which were really good, I'd always thought I'd like a sound like that when I get a house, then I got a house, then I wondered how much would it cost to............then I realised I only wanted one mortgage!

Back