How do you make "backups" of your DV 2'fers?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Odd thread, I know. But I'm wondering for those that have purchased any or all of the Dutton Vocalion 2'fers.....
For those who make backups (rips) - do you rip as is ...combining the 2 titles in 1 folder...or do you parse them out?

Example -

1 SACD of The Guess Who contains both:
  • Road Food
  • # 10
So, I'm debating about parsing out the proper songs and putting in an appropriately named folder. I haven't done this as of yet with any of my DV 2'fers. Just curious.

I would have preferred DVD-A. Music servers streamers and other players handle pcm so much easier than DSD.

But SACD does have that compatibility built into it. And it sounds good. The labels are comfortable with licensing for it. So other than all of the hardware manufacturers bailing on it, it's a winner!!!

Convert the DVD-A or SACD discs to music files and then you're all set with DACs and music streamers.
That's how I'm playing both these days. :)

Convert to music files??? That could not be any more vague now could it? I happen to love playback with no conversion or transcoding of file types. In fact I am so adverse to re-sampling that I would never even use any room correction that messes with the digital file. Bit transparent playback is what the owner of Computer Audiophile website and forums calls it. I'm fine with flac because that is a lossless bit transparent format. Some call it bit perfect, same thing.

Anyway, DSD is not god's gift to audiophiles especially surround enthusiasts. But we take what we can get, of course, shut up and be thankful.

I put them in 2 folders... It's mainly for housekeeping...

For dsf files I don't know if there is a way of embedding the artwork or tagging the metadata (so it's the correct album name) using a Mac. Without re-encoding? It's not a problem as I just edit the tags in Jriver after importing...

I separate them as well, but I put the same cover on each of the two because I like to see the source (the DV cover with the SACD logo).

For classical titles I don’t split discs, but my nine Tacet Beethoven symphonies look a little odd over five discs, so I might make an exception.

Last edited:
Me too like the playback without any transcoding, that's why i rip blu-ray and dvd-a to flac (100% lossless) music files without any messing unless there's a channel swap somewhere, as i did years ago with the boxes of CD. For sacd, until i can get a dsd-enabled dac that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, i keep the iso for the future and meanwhile do a flac conversion.

I separate them as well, but I put the same cover on each of the two because I like to see the source (the DV cover with the SACD logo).

For classical titles I don’t split discs, but my nine Tacet Beethoven symphonies look a little odd over five discs, so I might make an exception.
I used to stick with the accurate cover art from the multichannel recording, but my son took one look at an Audio Fidelity SACD cover and talked some sense into my head. Now I used the nicest, cleanest cover art I can find. Typically that's the stereo CD art, but I'm flexible.

I do what i did for cd too, split and use original artwork; specific disc reference are in the tag.

Back