How HiRez is the movie going experience?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kap'n krunch

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Some of you might have read that I left my MCH system back in Madrid and , since new beginnings are always difficult, I have yet to get my new MCH system here in the Mile High city..I DO have a few things..mainly my Region 2 Oppo 970H and ALL of my MCH discs (sans their covers/cases),
so the ONLY MCH fix I am getting lately is the movie going one...
MIND you , it IS VERY sweet sounding and , although expensive, I get to hear it at a volume that only a few here will ever hear it at home (no way that the visuals are as good at home though..)..
Some veryyy sweet movie houses in here...HUGE screens and great sound!!! So, to me , definitely worth it...

Last night was "The Incredibles 2" which is really good!!! Especially in 3D..duuude

So my question to all of those "in the know"...
WHAT IS THE HI REZ SAMPLING/BIT RATE AT THE MOVIES??
Do IMAX movies have a different sound codec than normal ones?
Dolby...? RPX??
(BTW, last night's sound was definitely HI REZ sounding to me..at least 96K...the strings sounded heavenly)

Anyone???
Bueller...Bueller???

Some of you might have read that I left my MCH system back in Madrid and , since new beginnings are always difficult, I have yet to get my new MCH system here in the Mile High city..I DO have a few things..mainly my Region 2 Oppo 970H and ALL of my MCH discs (sans their covers/cases),
so the ONLY MCH fix I am getting lately is the movie going one...
MIND you , it IS VERY sweet sounding and , although expensive, I get to hear it at a volume that only a few here will ever hear it at home (no way that the visuals are as good at home though..)..
Some veryyy sweet movie houses in here...HUGE screens and great sound!!! So, to me , definitely worth it...

Last night was "The Incredibles 2" which is really good!!! Especially in 3D..duuude

So my question to all of those "in the know"...
WHAT IS THE HI REZ SAMPLING/BIT RATE AT THE MOVIES??
Do IMAX movies have a different sound codec than normal ones?
Dolby...? RPX??
(BTW, last night's sound was definitely HI REZ sounding to me..at least 96K...the strings sounded heavenly)

Anyone???
Bueller...Bueller???

I've always wondered [aloud to myself] Kap, why more QQers are NOT into movies and even home cable offerings as some of the very best surround I've heard comes from FILMS/TV/Cable shows. While we wait for the next pricey surround music, only, album to trickle down from either the majors or independent sources, there is a uber abundance of surround material readily available at our disposal....relatively cheap! I've purchased UHD4K movies with Dolby Atmos soundtracks for under $10, BRAND NEW!

As far as the codecs utilized by Major Hollywood Studios and even independents and IMAX, what I do know it's PCM all the way [NO DSD, that is] and since the best of the best sound engineers are employed and naturally compete year after year for Academy Awards, et alia, no doubt these talented sound 'designers' choose to work in motion pictures and NOT for record companies where the monetary rewards PALE in comparison. I have NO specific answer to your question as to the resolution these gurus employ but if we utilize the resolutions utilized for 99.9% of all BD~Vs and even UHD 4K films [IMAX included] I would assume it's in the 'ballpark' of 96/24 or 24/48, AT A MINIMUM.....To actually pin down what is the new standard in sound recording for motion pictures might be an individual preference among various sound engineers, themselves....same as recording for music [for instance, 2L utilizes DXD* and in their latest release totes the fact that "Blu~ray is the first domestic format in history that unites theater movies and music sound in equally high quality."] The codecs of their release state: 5.1 DTS HD MA 24/192; 2.0 LPCM 24/192; 9.1 Dolby Atmos 48kHz; 9.1 Auro 3D 96kHz.

So I WOULD assume that for theatrical motion pictures [including IMAX] the initial resolution would be [at a minimum] 192/24 and down sampled to 96/24, 96/48 for home video to accomodate hi res picture/sound/bonus extras on a 5" disc.

Perhaps Bmoura can shed further light on this subject since he probably possesses a keener knowledge [or contacts] who could better elaborate on this subject.

*http://www.realhd-audio.com/?p=2974

Last edited:
Curiouser and curiouser..thanks for the replies , brothers...
Let's wait for Mr. Moura's reply too...
If the "The Incredibles 2" RPX experience (next step down from IMAX) was not 96/24, It was definitely recorded in HI-REZ and it was a sweet trickle down...

Curiouser and curiouser..thanks for the replies , brothers...
Let's wait for Mr. Moura's reply too...
If the "The Incredibles 2" RPX experience (next step down from IMAX) was not 96/24, It was definitely recorded in HI-REZ and it was a sweet trickle down...

If Capucine was happy.......then I'm happy.

BTW, my late mother was a dead ringer for Capucine. Now if only I could find that photo!

Last edited:
I have read where 96 is tops for MC, and only stereo can go higher (192) . But that was a while ago, possible new tech now??

MC definitely goes to 192 at home (at least for 4.0), but I'm not sure about theaters. Am I correct in thinking that lossless MC (in the form of DVD-A) was available at home before it showed up in theaters? (Lossless digital, that is...multichannel analog obviously has a long history.)

Kap, after exhaustively scrolling down to pg. 28 [my fingers had to take a nap:sleep:] if you're referring to the 48kHz sampling rate as being not hi res [at least that's what I think you're referring to], fear not. Dolby Atmos for theaters has 64 channels and 48 is fine as long as the bit rate is 24. Almost all BD~Vs produced today [referencing blu~ray.com reviews] are 24/48 [some older ones remain 16/48] while music videos tend to go the extra mile at 24/96. And most modern pre/pros upsample 48kHz to 96kHz, anyway.

If that isn't what you were referring to....please clarify?

Last edited:
Kap, after exhaustively scrolling down to pg. 28 [my fingers had to take a nap:sleep:] if you're referring to the 48kHz sampling rate as being not hi res [at least that's what I think you're referring to], fear not. Dolby Atmos for theaters has 64 channels and 48 is fine as long as the bit rate is 24. Almost all BD~Vs produced today [referencing blu~ray.com reviews] are 24/48 [some older ones remain 16/48] while music videos tend to go the extra mile at 24/96. And most modern pre/pros upsample 48kHz to 96kHz, anyway.

If that isn't what you were referring to....please clarify?
yes...sorry, HiRez for me is 96K at least...

yes...sorry, HiRez for me is 96K at least...

In a blind test, Kap, I really don't think you could tell the difference between 48 and 96kHz. Now, I'm sure the difference between 16 and 24 bit would be a fairer competition. A lot of audiophiles even question 192 vs. 96kHz saying the difference is almost imperceptible. Overkill, as some allude to.

Señor Krunch....if you can hear the sound of a [silent] dog whistle.......bark three times:love:

Last edited:
In a blind test, Kap, I really don't think you could tell the difference between 48 and 96kHz. Now, I'm sure the difference between 16 and 24 bit would be a fairer competition. A lot of audiophiles even question 192 vs. 96kHz saying the difference is almost imperceptible. Overkill, as some allude to.
true, but I think it stems from 96 K RECORDING and its "trickle down(theory for some)".. to me 96 K recordings sound sweeter than 48 K ones...

true, but I think it stems from 96 K RECORDING and its "trickle down(theory for some)".. to me 96 K recordings sound sweeter than 48 K ones...

I've always been more concerned with the BIT RATE. Some profess to hear NO difference between 16 and 24 bits which makes me either question their hearing OR equipment....or BOTH! Almost all BD~V films are 24/48 which sound pretty astounding on ALL my systems. I've become so immune to 48hKz sampling rates I don't even take notice anymore. And a lot of DVD~As which started out at 96/24 5.1 slowly morphed into 24/48 as replication of DVD~As faded into oblivion.

I wouldn't lose sleep over the 48hKz sampling rate, Kap. There are way more important issues out there.

Last edited:
I've always been more concerned with the BIT RATE. Some profess to hear NO difference between 16 and 24 bits which makes me either question their hearing OR equipment....or BOTH! Almost all BD~V films are 24/48 which sound pretty astounding on ALL my systems. I've become so immune to 48hKz sampling rates I don't even take notice anymore. And a lot of DVD~As which started out at 96/24 5.1 slowly morphed into 24/48 as replication of DVD~As faded into oblivion.

I wouldn't lose sleep over the 48hKz sampling rate, Kap. There are way more important issues out there.
24 bit makes the low frequencis sound REALLY BIIIG AND WARM...at least that is my experience..

Back