How Many Have Tinnitus?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have it as well, another high frequency tone that only grabs my attention when I'm in total silence. It used to annoy me a lot before falling asleep, but I got used to it, fortunately. It's been there with me for the last five years or so and kept stable since then.
I went to the doctor and took several treatments, but none of them had any effect. The ringing gets worse depending on the stress, though.
I also wear Etymotics ear buds at all concerts, although I put them in and out depending on the loudness.

Count me in to the tinnitus club. Having mixed sound at NBC for 30 years plus concerts and the worst of all, dance clubs, my hearing has paid the price.
My high end rolls off about 11K. I no longer hear highs that I know are on records.
And yes, in quiet surroundings, I have a steady high frequency noise. I've gotten used to it so it really is only noticeable when there's no other sound to distract me. I miss my high frequency hearing more.
Old age is a bitch and I'm hopeful science can come up with a solution sooner rather than later.

I have some tinnitus and really noticed the loss of my high range listening to the remix of Sgt Pepper. There’s supposed to be a 14k-cycle sound at the end and I hear...nothing. But, hey, the difference between one note and the octave above it is a doubling of the vibrations. So 10k to 20k is just an octave. Maybe I have lost half an octave right? Right? (He whistles, nervously...but he can’t hear it.)

I have some tinnitus and really noticed the loss of my high range listening to the remix of Sgt Pepper. There’s supposed to be a 14k-cycle sound at the end and I hear...nothing. But, hey, the difference between one note and the octave above it is a doubling of the vibrations. So 10k to 20k is just an octave. Maybe I have lost half an octave right? Right? (He whistles, nervously...but he can’t hear it.)
No worries. I don't have tinnitus and can't hear 14kH either. And as each year passes I have to keep making the letters bigger and bigger on this screen!

No worries. I don't have tinnitus and can't hear 14kH either. And as each year passes I have to keep making the letters bigger and bigger on this screen!

Maybe we should start a new thread on How Many are vision impaired as each year, the album liner note print gets smaller and smaller and constant abuse staring at electronic devices such as computer monitors and cell phone screens certainly has taken a toll.

I'm sure the responses would be equally interesting!

It should be finger in the ear and thump with your thumb slightly behind it. For me it works, removing any ringing for a few minutes. I only do it when it is really bad.
As far as tinnitus goes, pretty sure it is caused by a combination of a lifetime of concerts, riding a motorcycle (with helmet, but the wind still roars) and a decade with mortars.

Yes, I agree. I have trained and raced bicycles for years and even the wind in ears of bicycle tweaks the ears. I used to listen to earbuds music when I was training and when I got more serious about protecting my hearing, no more. Earbuds are like a laser beam of sound going in your ear canal, very bad for hearing. My ear doctor said earbuds are job security for him. My foot doctor said flip flops are job security for him.

My foot doctor said flip flops are job security for him.
I've got the greatest pair of flip flops ever... from "The Walking Company"... special orthotic flip flops... I never walk around my house barefoot anymore... these things are like a constant foot massage... I look forward to putting them on when I get home at night, lol! Your foot doctor better look out for these babies:p

Last edited:
I'm in my mid-40s. I have very faint tinnitus that I can hear if it's very quiet. Lots of rock concerts in the 1990s where my ears would ring for a day afterwards. I took one of those "what frequencies can you actually hear" tests online, and I have average hearing for my age.

There's some loss of an ability to hear quiet sounds, my wife has hearing like a bat compared to me, and we're about the same age.

Wow so many of us here with this problem.....,.I'm the right age to have it, afraid to think about it too much and notice something. I did take a hearing test at work a few years ago and it showed a mid high frequency band on my right ear was not detected.

ok what does this make me I have the EEEEEEEE with a hisss combat and aircraft carrier weapons dept also three glasses and can't walk breathing hard to relax and listen to quiet music. crank it up I'm good. does that been I'm getting old also can't spell.

ok what does this make me I have the EEEEEEEE with a hisss combat and aircraft carrier weapons dept also three glasses and can't walk breathing hard to relax and listen to quiet music. crank it up I'm good. does that been I'm getting old also can't spell. PS also repeat myself.

Fortunately, I do not have chronic tinnitus. Occasionally I'll get an annoying ear ring, doesn't last long though. I always wear ear plugs or over ear attenuators even for vacuuming or work in the garage and other loud business. Seems to have saved a few cells, it's cheap, no reason not to.

Back