How many of you can play MC flac files directly?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi folks!

Anyone in here who have an idea how many who can
1) play multichannel flac files directly
2) turn mc flac into discs
3) only listen to surround sound from DVD/BD/SACD/Q8 etc.?

Question is can we tell bands to sell they mc music as digital download from their own website or eg. Bandcamp or too few with surround gear CAN play mc flac.

Maybe this could be a poll? (if I knew how)
Missed this one...
1) Yes, on pc using Foobar, VLC or on Oppo BDP-103
2} I have encoded mch flac into mlp and used Discwelder to make a DVDA iso then burn to disc
3) I generally prefer a physical disc on my HT system (however it includes a pc) ; when at my personal pc I usually go digital...

1. Yes using, KODI, & VLC from PC via NAS. I’ve been a KODI/XBMC homer for years. I’m always looking for the ultimate KODI box. Currently, I have 2 modded AppleTVs, PI 1&3, 2 Firetv sticks, Firetv 1&2, and the Shield running KODI. MC FLACs I use the Pi3, FTV II, and Shield.
2. All MC is via FLAC.
3. I do not use physical media any more althoughI buy it.

Absolutley.
Both Quad and 5.1 to my Oppo 205.
Great fun just to be able to 'jukebox' surround music!
I even managed to rip and stream an MQA-CD recently which i thought wasnt possible!
I just wish i could stream DSD, i use a flash-drive for that :-(
I also wish tube amps were able to play 5.1and had multiple speaker connections, my Cayin CS-55A doesnt.
I suppose they wouldnt be fully 'Analogue' then.

Last edited:
  1. I play flac via notebook/HDMI
  2. I can burn discs and did in the past. But they are all ripped to Harddisk now
  3. Only play SACD and SQ Vinyl (sometimes)

I can play stereo and mc flac files through my sony 5.1 home theatre directly from a usb drive.

Can anyone give me a crash course if / how i can do this using an oppo bdp-83? Either with a usb drive or via a computer
Thanks

Last edited:
I can play stereo and mc flac files through my sony 5.1 home theatre directly from a usb drive.

Can anyone give me a crash course if / how i can do this using an oppo bdp-83? Either with a usb drive or via a computer
Thanks
If what you say about your Sony AVR is true, it will be the first one I've heard of that can play MCH FLAC from USB. They all seem to do stereo, but playing MCH?? You sure? What is the model number?

If what you say about your Sony AVR is true, it will be the first one I've heard of that can play MCH FLAC from USB. They all seem to do stereo, but playing MCH?? You sure? What is the model number?

Saw the YT link a couple of years ago, its a bit clunky but put an mp3 file (1second of silence will do) in front of each flac folder and it will play the flac files after the mp3 files and allow you to skip forward and back

I have an e280 but it looks to work on an s380 in the yt video, i tested this on some discrete mc mixes and it seems to work

I guess I don't see why placing an MP3 file in a FLAC folder will allow playback of MCH USB, but I guess I gotta take your word for it. Be sure you aren't hearing some faux MCH processing being applied to the front channels of a MCH source file. That's typically what I've seen happen when AVRs try to play MCH from USB

I guess I don't see why placing an MP3 file in a FLAC folder will allow playback of MCH USB, but I guess I gotta take your word for it. Be sure you aren't hearing some faux MCH processing being applied to the front channels of a MCH source file. That's typically what I've seen happen when AVRs try to play MCH from USB

I thought it was too good to be true as well, but it works. I’d encourage Sony users to give it a go.

Just tested a quad surround file with 360 degree panning and it does go all around the room to my rear speakers

I can play multichannel FLAC, WAV and DSD files on my Sony AVR from USB & DLNA. Model is STR-DN-1080. It doesn't need any mp3 files, it just plays them natively.

Terrible interface however and it doesn't handle gapless tracks very well. There is a solution with J River over DLNA but that is limited to FLAC, not DSD.

Currently using an Intel Nuc with Kodi with my music stored on a NAS... 🤓

I play MC Flac from a small-but-vast usb drive through my Oppo BDP-93. I'm currently listening to Robert Rich's latest "Tactile Ground" which I bought through https://surroundmusic.one/artist/robert-rich/ The mix is very atmospheric and there's no problem with the flac dropouts between tracks as Rich just made two one-hour flac files. (It's a double album.)

I have all my discs converted to flac files. I use foobar to play them and have HDMI connections to two rooms, neither of which the computer is in. One goes directly to my receiver to be played and the second goes to my OPPO in the other room which decodes and then sends the music via the analog connection to an old hdmi-less receiver. I use the foobarCon app on my tablet to control playback. I think it's awesome to have all my MC music available at my fingertips in either of my two listening rooms.
I also have iso's of all my music videos on a hard drive connected to the same computer and can watch them in either room using vlc and the vlcremote app to control them.

K

Kodi (latest version 18 Leia) plays MCH DSF files but converts to PCM.

Have you tried DSF Will? Interested to see what you think.

Yep gave it a whirl, it outputs as PCM 24 bit 192kHz. There’s no buffer, it’s all quite quick.

Haven’t done enough of an a/b test to decide how much/if there’s any loss to the sound quality. Initial thoughts were there was just a slight drop off with the nuance of the sound - that feeling that you can hear the guitar strings being played right in front of you. It still sounds great though. It might just be psychosomatic!

But even if there is a compromise it’s worthwhile for the functuality of using the NUC/Kodi.

I have my entire collection ripped to hard drive as either flac or dsf files. I can play all of them with either one of my Oppos (a 105 and a 203) or a Sony x800. However, none of them can play the 8 channel flac I ripped from Abbey Road. I guess I need to put the disc in for that one.

Back