How much did you pay for your Stereo/Quad/Surround Hi-Fi equipment and when?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuncanS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Whilst undertaking an archaeological 'dig' in a cupboard I came across receipts for old equipment!

I paid in,

January 1978, £143.95 for an Akai 4000D MkII Stereo Reel-to-Reel (VAT was only 12.5% then, now 25%!)
July 1982, £181.00 for a Technics SL-7 Linear Tracking Turntable
May 1996, £399.99 for a Sony TCD-D7 Portable DAT Recorder

There maybe more buried in there....

One of the first major audio purchases I made - and I think the first digital PLL FM Stereo Tuner commercially available in the UK was the Heathkit AJ1510A. Bought in 1976, it cost £375 (an extraordinary sum at the time - and you had to build it yourself!). I was seduced by the state of the art technology that this represented (for example the ability to tune a station by typing in its frequency on the keyboard was truly unique and amazed people at the time):

AJ-1510a.jpg

Containing 8 major printed circuit boards, wiring looms and various sub-assemblies it took a couple of weeks of labour in the evenings to complete:

AJ-1510 internal.jpg

Unfortunately, whilst technically interesting and fun to play with (you could even hook up an oscilloscope and analyse multipath conditions), the actual FM performance was pretty weak and the stereo s/n level was poor. It was further let down as, having been designed for the US market, it only tuned in 200kHz increments - one of the magazines of the day published a circuit modification which I duly built to allow 100kHz increments, but was less than a great success. I sold it and moved on to something a fraction of the price that worked much better!

I was prompted by Duncan's 'archaeological dig' to unearth from my archive the assembly instructions (the size of an old phone book and something of a collector's item perhaps?) and have snapped a photo, which shows the tome sitting on top of an A0 size circuit diagram of the complete unit. These instructions were actually quite superb (perhaps the best bit of the whole enterprise!):

AJ1510 instructions_resized.jpg

Google tells me that £375 in 1976 is the equivalent of £1880 today!

Last edited:
From 1968 to the present. If I sat down and figured out how much I have spent on my equipment I might just have a heart attack...Or My wife would kill me. The oldest item I have in service is my Sony SQD 2020 that I purchased in 1972. It's been recapped about 5 years ago.

The last piece of gear with features aimed specifically at surround use (8 high end DAC channels) is my Apogee Rossette 800 192k with the firewire card. Got it for $1100 about 10 years ago. Looks like you can grab one off Ebay for $800 nowadays.

This is dinosaur stuff:

Dynaco SCA80Q integrated stereo amplifier with Dynaquad...IIRC about $160 as a kit in 1972
Lafayette SQ-W full logic/wavematching/variblend decoder: $100 in 1973
Panasonic CD SE-405 demodulator with cartridge: $30 in 1974 as a Sam Goody's closeout

January 1978, £143.95 for an Akai 4000D MkII Stereo Reel-to-Reel (VAT was only 12.5% then, now 25%!)

I wanted one of those for so long!

I eventually waited so long that the Dolby version (the 4000DB) came out but by then cassette was the rising star and I ended up buying another bit of Akai kit instead (must have been from Lasky's flagship store in Tottenham Court Road if I remember correctly - happy days!):

AKAI GXC-75D advert.jpg

It really was a very good machine for its day and I got an enormous amount of use out of it.

Last edited:
I wanted one of those for so long!

I eventually waited so long that the Dolby version (the 4000DB) came out but by then cassette was the rising star and I ended up buying another bit of Akai kit instead (must have been from Lasky's flagship store in Tottenham Court Road If I remember correctly - happy days!):

View attachment 34147

It really was a very good machine for its day and I got an enormous amount of use out of it.
I bought my Akai 4000D in my 2nd year at Uni, got a lot of use, I've still got it! Cost me £250 to have it fully serviced and some repairs done a year or so ago. I still have the Technics SL7 but it has failed, and I've both my Sony DATs portable and normal, plus an Akai GX-653D which I was given.

On the subject of owning expensive audio gear -

Having sampled the joys of KT-88 valves thanks to the Quad II-Forty mono-blocks I’d owned for several years I really wanted to see what they could achieve in a more powerful amplifier. In 2002 I became aware of a great deal of fuss that was being made about McIntosh's return to a long term commitment to a new range of valve products with the introduction of the M2102 stereo 100Wpc power amp and C2200 control amplifier. I'd really only been peripherally aware of the McIntosh brand (as the one supposedly much beloved of doctors and dentists in the US) and did some homework to discover their long tradition and almost unique complete in-house manufacturing capability in New York. The power amp received rave reviews in the US and was also highly praised when made available here in the UK. The MC2102 was visually stunning with its eight KT-88's mounted on a stainless steel chassis and viewable through a clear window in its solid glass front panel with its big blue power meters - so I eagerly sort a demonstration at one of the country's few McIntosh dealers. In the flesh the amplifier was truly imposing, beautifully made and looked like a great piece of engineering.
McIntosh MC2102.jpg

It produced an equally imposing sound with seemingly limitless amounts of power to call on - I spent a couple of hours enthralled by the sheer scale of its presentation and despite an asking price of £6,500 in early 2003 it sold itself! I also played with the C2200 pre-amp at the same session but the purchase of both would have sent the credit card into meltdown! When the MC2102 arrived I suddenly realised how big it was as the huge wooden packing crate could barely fit through the front door and the amp itself was a two man lift! Once installed it was quite spectacular both visually and aurally. It was completely fuss free and totally silent both mechanically and at the speakers. In fact in practically all respects, apart from giving off a furnace like heat from 8 KT88's it was like a very fine, very powerful solid state amplifier. It was detailed and revealing with faultless bass reach and was completely incapable of being stressed. It was a hugely impressive statement of how valves could match solid state performance. That of course for me was also it’s Achilles' heel - it was just too much like a very good solid state amp, which rather defeated the point really!
mc2102 top.jpg

I kept it for several years because by no stretch of the imagination could it be called a poor amplifier (indeed in absolute terms it may well have been the best I've ever owned) and it did give me many hours of great music. I'd be reluctant to call it 'sterile’ (perhaps neutral would be fairer) but It just that it wasn't really like a properly euphonic valve amp! Ultimately this view, combined with a niggle regarding the constant failure of the filament bulbs that illuminated that glass front panel and meters and were impossibly difficult to replace, suggested that it would ultimately have to go. Its sheer 42kg bulk also made it somewhat impractical in the domestic environment as no one person could shift it (let alone invert it to get at the retaining screws necessary to release the front panel to begin the lengthy process of replacing frequently failing bulbs!).

Although I couldn't quite afford it at the time I'd enjoyed playing with the features of the C2200 pre-amp when I went to audition the power amp it seemed the natural pairing (indeed the common view rapidly became that this was one of the best pre-amps ever made in the US). So, after a bit more scrimping and saving, later in 2003 I managed to get one for £5,000. The C2200 was a very large (bigger than many integrated amps), full function pre-amp (or control amp as McIntosh refer to it) with lots of knobs, a digital display, VU meters and a welter of remote controllable functions afforded by microprocessor control.
McIntosh_C2200.jpg

The audio circuitry comprised a four valve line stage and a four valve phono stage with RCA and balanced XLR inputs and outputs (I used the balanced outputs to drive the MC2102, but frankly could discern no difference over the use of single ended links – but probably not surprising over just a couple of metres of cable). The signal path was entirely valve, although there was a curious digitally controlled resistive ladder network that formed the volume control (which you could hear operating as a series of steps if adjusting it whilst playing a single test tone from a CD - very odd). I had problems with this pre-amp from day one when all kinds of buzzes and hums were apparent - obviously caused by the valves being loose in their sockets!
C2200 internal.jpg

I've never seen anything like this before, but it seemed that the sockets were out of tolerance and would just not grip the valve pins (how did it pass factory test you might well ask?). It had to go back to the distributor to have eight new sockets fitted (actually I don’t know how I was talked into this as at this price I should certainly have demanded a new, replacement unit!). The micro-processor was rather idiosyncratic and would often need a master reset for no apparent reason. The glass front panel was lit with a myriad of filament bulbs (the bane of my life!) lighting both the meters and panel legends. With its old-school sixties styling it looked quite impressive (in a Blackpool illuminations sort of way) when all of the bulbs worked, but they rarely did. Why they chose to fit bulbs to this product is a mystery, high brightness LED were obviously available at the time it was designed. I gave up trying to change them and thankfully a third party modification became available some years later which replaced them with LEDs and transformed the look of the whole thing. Mind you, that kit cost $US 250!

I guess we got off on a bad footing, but I don't know why this product was raved about quite as much as it was. It was overly complex and not entirely reliable in my experience (and despite McIntosh's much heralded quality did not seem particularly well made internally). Depending on what valves you fitted it would sound pretty transparent - but so do many pre-amps at a small fraction of its asking price. I gave this one up when I also got rid of the MC2102 (both sold to a dealer some years later), but it had been an interesting relationship and much had been learned. I was not particularly sorry to see them go. I came to the personal conclusion that a lot of McIntosh equipment is overpriced (a classic example perhaps of ‘paying for the name’). Unfortunately, outside of the mainland US and its service centre, you are entirely at the mercy of local distributors (who may or may not have any ability to repair and maintain such complex equipment). Moral – all that glisters is not necessarily gold.

Back