how would you start your system if you were me?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn’t think of signal loss. Though, in the past, I’ve run 50 foot unbalanced cables with no issues. Anyway, none that I could hear. So, it must of been a decent cable but I cannot remember cause it was so long ago. :LOL:

Nowadays, Monoprice 15’ & 25’ cable is the longest I’ve used. If they were any longer, I’d suggest speaker cables and passive speakers.
I think it depends, like Markshan said, on the environment and quality of shielding on the cable. Also taking general precautions of keeping it away from power lines and crossing only perpendicularly go a long way. I run a 30 ft monoprice cable to my subwoofer with no problems. At audio frequencies, I wouldn't worry much about signal/cable loss. In any case most equipments line level inputs have high input impedance (10k+) and 75 /50 Ohm termination. So long as loss is even across the band, no harm is done anyway.

That is the type of system used for wireless mikes and PA systems. I wasn't aware they were making home audio components that used UHF.
They make transmitter/receiver combos that can be used for whatever you choose to use them for. It's a lot more money than Bluetooth, but it is a high fidelity wireless solution.

I think it depends, like Markshan said, on the environment and quality of shielding on the cable. Also taking general precautions of keeping it away from power lines and crossing only perpendicularly go a long way. I run a 30 ft monoprice cable to my subwoofer with no problems. At audio frequencies, I wouldn't worry much about signal/cable loss. In any case most equipments line level inputs have high input impedance (10k+) and 75 /50 Ohm termination. So long as loss is even across the band, no harm is done anyway.
Plus a sub won't play back any high frequency garbage even if it does pick it up. 60 cycle OTOH. As you mentioned, keep away from power lines and cross at 90 degrees if you have no choice.

That's because there isn't one. In fact, in this usage flac is clearly superior because it can be meta tagged in ways that wav can't.

FLAC files are also less than half the size of WAV. Requiring less than half the disc space, half the backup disc space and can be backed up/copied in less than half the time.

@perfectlife , do you know what type of transmission those KEFs are using? Is it Bluetooth or something else?

Both WiFi, Bluetooth, (and Ethernet. RCA, optical )

I actually contacted Kef about this and they said maybe 4.1 but center channel might be not possible because speakers are set to work as pair. And also ls50w were never tested to be used with preamp.

So I thought software solution and asked on Roon community if Roon can assign channels to a group of speakers. It cannot since Kef are not real endpoints.
Besides I’m not sure if timing/latency can be an issue especially given what I like about this speaker is the coherence. Don’t want mess that up. (I am just guessing here without any actual knowledge)

With all of your opinion and support here, I am changing my course of action. Probably best first move in to the new place and see how 3m x 3m space feels like in reality, then might be just do 2ch with ls50w for my room and setup 5.1 for living room with passive speakers. But this causes another problem; how to evict my husband from his favorite chair when I want to listen to surround! :mad:

Thank you for all those Help!!

:D

...With all of your opinion and support here, I am changing my course of action. Probably best first move in to the new place and see how 3m x 3m space feels like in reality, then might be just do 2ch with ls50w for my room and setup 5.1 for living room with passive speakers. But this causes another problem; how to evict my husband from his favorite chair when I want to listen to surround! :mad:

Consider telling him that he's behaving like this fellow, Sheldon Cooper. Perhaps that will get him to move.

Back