how would you start your system if you were me?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have makemkv , you don't need DVD-Audio Extractor. You can simply copy the disc with makemkv & use Foobar to extract the 2 & multichannel tracks.
makeMKV wont extract MLP from DVD-A though will it? It will extract the DVD side though. But Perfectlife may not need MLP decode.

I keep all my surround audio encoded as WAV, although that's just personal preference and really no different than FLAC (takes a little more space obviously).

I had ripped all of DVD-A's to FLAC this past Winter, but now I am re-ripping all stereo and multichannel tracks to .wav instead for back up and playback. Hard drives are now huge and relatively cheap.

I had ripped all of DVD-A's to FLAC this past Winter, but now I am re-ripping all stereo and multichannel tracks to .wav instead for back up and playback. Hard drives are now huge and relatively cheap.
Why re-rip them? Just convert them from FLAC to WAV.

To be honest, I don't see any upside to the WAV format as opposed to FLAC. They are both PCM, one losslessly compressed and the other not.

Why re-rip them? Just convert them from FLAC to WAV.

To be honest, I don't see any upside to the WAV format as opposed to FLAC. They are both PCM, one losslessly compressed and the other not.

Re-ripping and converting would be relatively the same amount of effort I think. Personal preference for .wav over FLAC. I will keep copies of both folders FLAC and .wav on the external drive.

I know that the Oppo 205 doesn't recognize any photos uploaded to wav, dsf, and aiff files. Also, you must be sure that the machine will allow gapless playback with certain files. For example, it is a problem with dsf (DSD SACD) files...you have to make a cue file to play the album without gaps. Certain albums, such as the Moody Blues classic seven, were recorded without gaps. I do know that the Oppo will play FLAC without gaps and also shows the photo.

(All of the above might be a good reason to go with a music server computer program.)

I know that the Oppo 205 doesn't recognize any photos uploaded to wav, dsf, and aiff files. Also, you must be sure that the machine will allow gapless playback with certain files. For example, it is a problem with dsf (DSD SACD) files...you have to make a cue file to play the album without gaps. Certain albums, such as the Moody Blues classic seven, were recorded without gaps. I do know that the Oppo will play FLAC without gaps and also shows the photo.

(All of the above might be a good reason to go with a music server computer program.)
When I play my wav and dsf files on the Oppo 205 off a USB drive; as long as I name the album art ā€œfolder.jpgā€ it shows up. Iā€™m pretty sure it downloads photos for CD wav files, but only certain albums. The ripped dsf from SACD never get downloaded images.

makeMKV wont extract MLP from DVD-A though will it? It will extract the DVD side though. But Perfectlife may not need MLP decode.
I believe it does extract the AUDIO_TS directory, which contains the MLP tracks. I was using DVDFab before and I remember that one doing the AUDIO_TS directory. I will check on this again. I don't have DVD-A's to rip much at all, though I have one that needs ripping so I will try it again.

Thank you for a good example I can learn from.

I didn't think of going into using AirPlay, probably I don't have Mac nor ipad.

May I ask questions? Why would you like to go active speakers?
Hi!

I went active because of the positive benefits over a passive loudspeaker. Actually, active speakers are different than powered speakers in which the drivers have a separate power supply and an active crossover before amplification, as opposed to the crossover after amplification in a passive design. You will gain more more control over the drivers and get better efficiency.

Here is information on passive vs active loudspeakers: Active Speakers vs Passive Speakers

To be honest, I don't see any upside to the WAV format as opposed to FLAC.

That's because there isn't one. In fact, in this usage flac is clearly superior because it can be meta tagged in ways that wav can't.

I keep SACD flacs on the hard drive. DVD-A is still physical for the video content.

Hi!

I went active because of the positive benefits over a passive loudspeaker. Actually, active speakers are different than powered speakers in which the drivers have a separate power supply and an active crossover before amplification, as opposed to the crossover after amplification in a passive design. You will gain more more control over the drivers and get better efficiency.

Here is information on passive vs active loudspeakers: Active Speakers vs Passive Speakers

I have been reading a lot about active vs passive and now I totally understand what you wrote here. Ha-ha ;) I am so proud. Lol

And I have to agree that all the speakers I liked at High End Munich turned out to be active, including totally out of budget ML811k1 by ME-Geithian

Iā€™m only dropping name of this speaker because they had this room called ā€œmusic without limitā€ where somehow set up 5.1 system with Merging and 3 of those in front. And lots of acoustic panels.

This German recording engineer specializes in surrounds brought his never-will-be released recordings and played.

Oh my god! I was first chuckling because like, the singer was really really singing in front of me. Then I was IN the piano like I have turned into an ant-man. Itā€™s nothing but a black magic.

I was in heaven... tearful with joy.. I get so close to bringing a tent and camp in that room.:love::love:

Ah. Kinda sad. Now I know what a really great system sounds like. And costs like.

So long story short, Iā€™m glad you posted you went with active too.

Last edited:
The advantages of good active speakers are hard to argue with. My problem with going with active monitors would be getting signal to them, especially the rears. Wireless just dosen't offer the sound quality...yet... I wouldn't want to run 50 foot RCA style interconnects. I'd need to go to balanced outputs. What do you folks that have a fully active system do?

The advantages of good active speakers are hard to argue with. My problem with going with active monitors would be getting signal to them, especially the rears. Wireless just dosen't offer the sound quality...yet... I wouldn't want to run 50 foot RCA style interconnects. I'd need to go to balanced outputs. What do you folks that have a fully active system do?
Why? If you find the right cable, it should be no different than running speaker cable.

The only drawback to using active I could see is having to run power cables but luckily, I have an a/c outlet at every area I place my speakers at. However, I do not use active Height speakers. So, itā€™s 5.1 active. Plus, 4 passive.

Why? If you find the right cable, it should be no different than running speaker cable.
Are you suggesting that a long run of unbalanced line level is no different than a long run of speaker cable? That isn't even close to accurate. That's why balanced cables were invented, due to signal loss and noise of long runs.

Are you suggesting that a long run of unbalanced line level is no different than a long run of speaker cable? That isn't even close to accurate. That's why balanced cables were invented, due to signal loss and noise of long runs.
Didnā€™t think of signal loss. Though, in the past, Iā€™ve run 50 foot unbalanced cables with no issues. Anyway, none that I could hear. So, it must of been a decent cable but I cannot remember cause it was so long ago. :LOL:

Nowadays, Monoprice 15ā€™ & 25ā€™ cable is the longest Iā€™ve used. If they were any longer, Iā€™d suggest speaker cables and passive speakers.

Back