Hum/Buzz on my RX-V1700 Yamaha Receiver

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strilo

Staff member
I have a Yamaha RX-V 1700 that I bought in 2007. I love it, but in the last year or two there is a constant hum or buzzing noise that comes out of all speakers. I have done some troubleshooting, removed inputs, changed power conditioning strip, etc. Does anyone have any other tips before I disconnect the entire thing and take it to a repair shop?

First try to find the source. What inputs are you using? If you have a cable box, DVD player and/or other sources, try each one independently to see if they all buzz. If they do, are your connections close to your wall plug(s) or other source(s)/connection(s)? Give each interconnect and speaker wire independent space to see if any of them are picking up interference. And start with the bare minimum, testing at each step. Sometimes a little reverse engineering can help discover the problem. But if none of this works, unplug your receiver, grab your dvd player and a speaker and create a simple stereo setup in another room. If you're still hearing a buzz, then yes, it's likely your receiver.

First try to find the source. What inputs are you using? If you have a cable box, DVD player and/or other sources, try each one independently to see if they all buzz. If they do, are your connections close to your wall plug(s) or other source(s)/connection(s)? Give each interconnect and speaker wire independent space to see if any of them are picking up interference. And start with the bare minimum, testing at each step. Sometimes a little reverse engineering can help discover the problem. But if none of this works, unplug your receiver, grab your dvd player and a speaker and create a simple stereo setup in another room. If you're still hearing a buzz, then yes, it's likely your receiver.

I agree 100%, this is a great answer.

I actually removed all of the inputs and powered everything off except the receiver and I still had the buzz. And it comes from all five speakers roughly equally.

I have a Yamaha RX-V 1700 that I bought in 2007. I love it, but in the last year or two there is a constant hum or buzzing noise that comes out of all speakers. I have done some troubleshooting, removed inputs, changed power conditioning strip, etc. Does anyone have any other tips before I disconnect the entire thing and take it to a repair shop?

Have you also tried a different power socket in the room?

Got my tax return recently so I went out tonight and picked up a Yamaha RX-V2085 and got it set up. Haven’t had a chance to listen much yet cuz it was bedtime. But the setup for these things is insanely awesome now!

Now that I have a new receiver, I will take the old one in for service. Then sell it.

Turned this in to Inner Sound in Portland today for evaluation and possible service. We will see what they find.

You may want to move or have an electrician check for stray voltage issues since you had problems with more then one piece of equipment. First the X800 and now an AVR.🤔

Back