• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not request or offer for sale or trade copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Attachments

fredblue

QQ member number 4041
for any QQ members using Photobucket, it appears they are blocking accounts that use their hosting for such 3rd party purposes as posting images here, unless/until you take out a paid subscription.. so no more pics from me here until i can find a viable alternative. i understand they're a business not a charity but more and more the fun's being sucked out of my online experience lately..

edit: just trying to establish if its part of a phishing scam..! :yikes

Spock

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
for any QQ members using Photobucket, it appears they are blocking accounts that use their hosting for such 3rd party purposes as posting images here, unless/until you take out a paid subscription.. so no more pics from me here until i can find a viable alternative. i understand they're a business not a charity but more and more the fun's being sucked out of my online experience lately..

edit: just trying to establish if its part of a phishing scam..! :yikes
Try imgur.com :)

I like them better than photobucket.

steelydave

Staff member
The photobucket thing is indeed for real (and not a phishing scam) as I got the same email from them, and all the images I've uploaded and embedded here at QQ are now replaced with the 'buy a paid subscription' placeholder.

In order to link images from photobucket you now have to pay $400 a year, which I definitely won't be doing. Not just because of the price, but because they introduced these new 'terms of service' literally overnight last night, and sent me (and so many other people) emails saying that they were in violation of the new TOS. Photobucket actively encouraged message board image embedding up until then - when you uploaded an image it gave you the BBCode to embed the image in to forums like this one!

I'm especially annoyed because photobucket know that forums don't generally allow editing of messages after a few days, so all the image links they've broken are not easily replaceable. I have all my original images, but some of the threads I've spent a considerable amount of time doing images for, like the RCA PQ8 thread, the Liberty/UA Q8 thread, not to mention all the waveforms and Q8/quad LP photos etc. I've posted on various threads are now all broken as well.

I've considered using imgur, but this blog makes some fair points about the impermanent nature of hosting sites, especially free ones. Not sure what to do next.

GOS

GOS 3.0
I haven't received such an email about my photobucket account....and I'm trying to post a picture now....we'll see what happens.

Simon A

The photobucket thing is indeed for real (and not a phishing scam) as I got the same email from them, and all the images I've uploaded and embedded here at QQ are now replaced with the 'buy a paid subscription' placeholder.

In order to link images from photobucket you now have to pay $400 a year, which I definitely won't be doing. Not just because of the price, but because they introduced these new 'terms of service' literally overnight last night, and sent me (and so many other people) emails saying that they were in violation of the new TOS. Photobucket actively encouraged message board image embedding up until then - when you uploaded an image it gave you the BBCode to embed the image in to forums like this one!

I'm especially annoyed because photobucket know that forums don't generally allow editing of messages after a few days, so all the image links they've broken are not easily replaceable. I have all my original images, but some of the threads I've spent a considerable amount of time doing images for, like the RCA PQ8 thread, the Liberty/UA Q8 thread, not to mention all the waveforms and Q8/quad LP photos etc. I've posted on various threads are now all broken as well.

I've considered using imgur, but this blog makes some fair points about the impermanent nature of hosting sites, especially free ones. Not sure what to do next.
I don't understand the $400 bit Dave. I've gone ad free for $2.49 a month and was able to post a link to a photo without any problem. Are you saying that they'll charge me extra if I post pictures in threads?

Like John Lennon says in Revolution 9, Um Dah! :mad:@:

GOS

GOS 3.0
Yeah, and I've chosen to accept the dumb ads (which are annoying) and I pay nothing and seems I still can post pictures. OH, and I'm enjoying a cold Pilsner Urquell to kill the pain in my back. Just thought I'd mention that.

steelydave

Staff member
It seems like they've targeted users who either have a lot of images, or whos images get a lot of hits, first at least.

The way I read their terms of service it seems like only the 'Plus 500' plan at $400 a year allows what they call '3rd party image hosting', which is what they consider embedding in forums to be I guess.

Types of Accounts, Pricing and Limits

Visiting : There is no cost to visit the Site or to register as a Member.

Free account : Each individual Member gets one free account that provides 2 GB of free storage or space available for your original photo files, or videos under 10min. The free account does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting. If a free account Member exceeds their Content Limit, their account will be immediately suspended and they will need to become a “Paying Member” (defined below) in order to continue accessing their account. You can upgrade to a Plus account at any time.

Ad-free Account : The Ad-free Account offers Members the ability to use the Site without seeing any third party banner advertisements when logged into your Ad-free Account (note, viewers of your images within Photobucket will see ads unless they, too, have Plus accounts and you will continue to see Photobucket offers and announcements). This account level is available for $2.49 / month, payable by the Member on a monthly recurring basis.
Plus Account : The Plus Account offers several paid options that may give the Paying Member more storage, bandwidth, 3rd party image hosting, image linking and/or other services as outlined below. Once and during such period of time in which you subscribe to and pay for a Plus Account, we will consider you a "Paying Member." Please note that all Plus Account subscriptions are billed annually at the commencement of the service. Photobucket may also offer a monthly billing option for its Plus Accounts (see terms and restrictions, below).

Available Plus Account Plans : Photobucket offers the following Plus Account Plans:

o Plus 50 Plan: 52 GB of Storage for $59.99 / Year. The Plus 50 Plan does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting.

o Plus 100 Plan: 102 GB of Storage for $99.99 / Year. The Plus 100 Plan allows for unlimited image linking but does not allow 3rd party image hosting.

o Plus 500 Plan: 500 GB of Storage and unlimited bandwidth for $399.99 / Year. The Plus 500 Plan allows for unlimited image linking and unlimited 3rd party image hosting.
It's entirely possible your images are embeddable/viewable at the moment - I can see GOS' images that he's just posted for example. I get the feeling what they want to do is encourage people to use/post images and then clamp down and shut it off when it reaches some arbitrary limit, to basically sucker you in to using it and then blackmail you to pay. If you do a google search for 'photobucket hotlinking' and limit your searches to the last 24 hours you'll see there are hundreds of message boards where people are experiencing the same thing, so if your images work right now I don't think there's much guarantee that they won't be shut off in the near future.

Simon A

It seems like they've targeted users who either have a lot of images, or whos images get a lot of hits, first at least.

The way I read their terms of service it seems like only the 'Plus 500' plan at $400 a year allows what they call '3rd party image hosting', which is what they consider embedding in forums to be I guess.

It's entirely possible your images are embeddable/viewable at the moment - I can see GOS' images that he's just posted for example. I get the feeling what they want to do is encourage people to use/post images and then clamp down and shut it off when it reaches some arbitrary limit, to basically sucker you in to using it and then blackmail you to pay. If you do a google search for 'photobucket hotlinking' and limit your searches to the last 24 hours you'll see there are hundreds of message boards where people are experiencing the same thing, so if your images work right now I don't think there's much guarantee that they won't be shut off in the near future.
I see. Well it's very simple, I'll keep paying $2.49 as long as they let me post pictures here. This is basically why I use it.

Thanks for the info Dave!

~dave~~wave~

Today's Denver Post headline:

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/07/16/photobucket-fee-hike/

Behind Denver-based Photobucket’s unpopular decision to go from free to $399
Denver’s once innovative photo-sharing site is a skeleton of its former glory

Discussions to address customer outrage are ongoing.
What’s important, he said, is a customer’s entire photo collection is still available.

They must log in and if they decide not to upgrade, they can download their images and go elsewhere.
Corpus confirmed that Photobucket has no plans to impose a deadline to upgrade, and the company won’t delete any photos.

Was the customer backlash expected?
Corpus paused. For 12 seconds.
“No,” he finally said.

Frogmort

700 Club - QQ All Star
Since this thread was bumped, what's the situation on attachments, pics, gifs, etc. with the new XenForo forum software? Are there certain ways we can upload pics that are more beneficial to running the site like there was with the old software, or is this not even a problem with the new software? It would be nice to know, so we don't tax Jon with any unnecessary bills, or so we don't have to worry about it if there are completely different policies.