IMPORTANT: Thoughts please regarding legit 5.1 downloads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you purchase a 5.1/4.0 download from a place like HDTracks?

• Total voters
When I said "I have to say that I created this thread for ForagingRhino" I did not mean that he (or anyone else) asked me to create this thread, I meant that I created this thread to show him and the other industry people who read the forum (and there are quite a few, many who never post) that there is indeed a market for 5.1 downloads. These people think that if these were offered from services like HDTracks that there would be little or no sales of those 5.1 files. I created this thread and poll to show them that they would be wrong.

That's all. Maybe I should have worded it better, but that's what I meant.
That's how I took it.

I don't really have anything to share in this thread - particularly if it was started on behalf of somebody who works at Rhino, a company that's been sitting on a box of Quadio Doobie Brothers albums they've teased over a year ago.

Want me to share? Two way street. You already know what you're holding back from us, and I see no need to play the "applause-before-the-encore" game just to puff up some industry exec as to how hard he can make us sit up and beg.

With all due respect, no one you're hoping to influence would even realize you were trying to communicate your frustration by sitting this out. I think your frustation is legitimate, and there must be a way to get that communicated to the right person.

Refusing to share your thoughts isn't going to do anything except withhold your totally valid opinion from the rest of us here on the forum.

Last edited:
Oh, don't worry, it's not as if I haven't shared my thoughts hundreds of times in "which would make a good surround release" threads. The fact that I'm apparently not hitting the mark, doesn't change at all what it is I'd like to hear them at least try to sell.

Frankly, I don't think they care much what the uber-fans want to buy; they give it a risk to release, they know they've got us anyway. They're looking for the "Avatar"'s of surround sound, that would bring in casual, new consumers...only, they don't want to pay "Thriller" prices to license it.

I used to buy a lot of downloads, thinking they would relieve some of the clutter around the house. Turns out I like the clutter. I like buying CDs, records, box sets, and leaving them lying around in full view - it reminds me that I need to play them. Whereas downloads disappear into the depths of the computer, never to surface again.

And if I do remember to play them, and want to listen via something more than tinny laptop speakers... well, remember the days of Plug & Play? For a variety of reasons, mainly my own technical incompetence, even connecting to Blue Tooth is more a case of Plug and Then Mess Around for 20 Minutes. During which time, I've already put something else on the record player and am happily listening to that.

Last edited:
I used to buy a lot of downloads, thinking they would relieve some of the clutter around the house. Turns out I like the clutter. I like buying CDs, records, box sets, and leaving them lying around in full view - it reminds me that I need to play them. Whereas downloads disappear into the depths of the computer, never to surface again.

And if I do remember to play them, and want to listen via something more than tinny laptop speakers... well, remember the days of Plug & Play? For a variety of reasons, mainly my own technical incompetence, even connecting to Blue Tooth is more a case of Plug and Then Mess Around for 20 Minutes. During which time, I've already put something else on the record player and am happily listening to that.

I am not against dirgital downloads but am not really set up to conveniently use them at this time. It is nice to see I am not alone in thinking dirgital is more work than playing a good old fashioned LP or tape.

let's just get surround sound standard into cars, then you'll see this lack of action go away.
then develop internet radios that have dual tuners in them to get quad radio broadcasts going

Well, the trend is still mono Bluetooth speakers, so I think surround will keep being a niche for the future. But I also would prefer to be able to download instead of storing a media...

(I'm currently listening to the latest Pineapple Thief in mono this way :p:p )

I don't think the mainstream would be bothered about surround in cars. They've been exposed to it in cinemas and it's long available in the home but it's clearly not a big deal in the main market. Are they really going to want to pay extra for an album to play in the car? Even as a surround fan I'm very happy with blue thooth stereo. It's so convenient, and my phone app does a proper shuffle and the skipping and skimming can be done from the car stereo. Back to surround: is it only going to suit one person in the car? If it's tuned to balance being sat in the front left (or right) of the vehicle how is that going to suit any passenger? What if you're the one stuck with not much other than the triangle in the speaker you're sat by?

I don't think the mainstream would be bothered about surround in cars. They've been exposed to it in cinemas and it's long available in the home but it's clearly not a big deal in the main market. Are they really going to want to pay extra for an album to play in the car? Even as a surround fan I'm very happy with blue thooth stereo. It's so convenient, and my phone app does a proper shuffle and the skipping and skimming can be done from the car stereo. Back to surround: is it only going to suit one person in the car? If it's tuned to balance being sat in the front left (or right) of the vehicle how is that going to suit any passenger? What if you're the one stuck with not much other than the triangle in the speaker you're sat by?
Crank it up really really loud? lol. Maybe everyone should just get one of those giant bass speakers and put in the back. NO! DON'T DO IT!! I'm kidding. I live in the country and every day I hear someone coming and going for a mile either way from the bass that resonates above my home system. Low frequency and distortion, unfortunately, carry far.

But yeah, back on track here Mike the Fish, I pretty much agree with you. Some few people love surround sound in cars, but honestly I've never had it myself.

Back