Individual Songs You'd Love To Hear In Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kraftwerk-Autobahn.......Kansas-Point Of Know Return/Carry On Wayward Son.......Lynyrd Skynyrd-Freebird

Autobahn is available on Q8- haven't heard it but according to the poll thread the title track is split between the two programs

"Free Bird" is on the Southern Surroudings hits comp released originally on DVD-A and reissued as an HFPA Blu-Ray. Very nice ES mix- all the guitar solo overdubs are separated out.

I'm going to kind of cheat a little bit and say Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres by Rush (the whole first side of the album).

Oh Mr. S....I hate to mention this...but you CAN have that surround version of Evil Woman...and a used copy is even cheaper than my last suggestion...and I'm listening to Evil Woman right now in DTS 5.1..grab a used copy HERE

Thanks Clint, did not know this concert was available in DTS , and at that price I could not pass it up..ordered!

Oh Mr. S....I hate to mention this...but you CAN have that surround version of Evil Woman...and a used copy is even cheaper than my last suggestion...and I'm listening to Evil Woman right now in DTS 5.1..grab a used copy HERE

Cool, cheers for the info - that really is cheap as chips! The Amazon bots haven't got to these yet...

I'm really digging Robin Trower - Bridge of Sighs. A great Saturday mid morning track! :music

Ok how about finding a surround release for this next one?!

“Magic” by Pilot
“Baker Street” by Gerry Rafferty
“Fooling Yourself” by Styx
“Hitch A Ride” by Boston
“Brighter Day” by Jellyfish
“Kid Charlemagne” by Steely Dan
“Hydra” by Toto
“Magic Man” by Heart
“Mr. Blue Sky” by Electric Light Orchestra

Deep Purple - Child in Time / Fireball / Burn / You Keep On Moving

Uriah Heep - Paradise/The Spell

Wishbone Ash - the entire Argus album

Kansas - Journey from Mariabronn / Icarus (Borne on Wings of Steel) / Memories and Mayhem/The Pinnacle / The Wall / Closet Chronicles / Hopelessly Human / On the Other Side

Black Sabbath - Spiral Architect

QueensrĂżche - ALL of Operation: Mindcrime

Sent from my HTC 2PZC100 using Tapatalk

There are all kinds of “best of”/”most wanted” threads, but I don’t think anyone’s done this one yet. Only rule is that the song cannot officially exist in MCH at all (like if it’s a bad mix and you want a redo- that's a topic for another thread I guess). It’s worth mentioning if a song you pick decodes nicely or if there’s a good upmix out there though.

Here’s a few from me:

Billy Joel- “The Longest Time”:

I think a “Seven Bridges Road”-type mix would be extremely effective here.
What a shame that An Innocent Man didn’t get the 5.1 SACD treatment as well.

Actually, this one exists.
I know because I mixed it.

“Magic” by Pilot
“Baker Street” by Gerry Rafferty
“Fooling Yourself” by Styx
“Hitch A Ride” by Boston
“Brighter Day” by Jellyfish
“Kid Charlemagne” by Steely Dan
“Hydra” by Toto
“Magic Man” by Heart
“Mr. Blue Sky” by Electric Light Orchestra

Mr. Blue Sky is available in DTS 5.1 here

Kid Charlemagne is available in DTS 5.1 HERE

WOW

So Sony wanted to keep remixing BJ's albums in 5.1? Shame they stopped releasing Multichannel SACDs.

Can you say anything about how you mixed it? Is it like what I imagined?

You did a nice job on Dance With My Father...I just wish Luther Vandross would have done all the songs himself...Busta Rhymes and Foxy Brown aren't my cup of tea...when I put that disc in I play "if I didn't know better" multiple times...it's the only surround disc available with Luther....I love a lot of his music(y)

WOW

So Sony wanted to keep remixing BJ's albums in 5.1? Shame they stopped releasing Multichannel SACDs.

Can you say anything about how you mixed it? Is it like what I imagined?

You can hear for yourself right here: Billy-Joel-Essential-Video-Collection

All the songs on this collection were mixed in 5.1 by Thom except for the tracks from The Stranger and 52nd Street, which were the mixes from the respective SACDs.

I guess I should have been more specific. In all of my choices, I’d like to hear a 5.1 mix of the original studio versions. I have both of the DVDs you linked (and I love them!).

Well...I understand what you mean...and I'm the same way...I'd love studio surrounds...but I'm just following the guidelines of the thread...

No time to read this thread just now, but two tracks that pop instantly to mind are Master of Puppets and Orion, by Metallica. They both have awesome orchestrated sections.
Anything by Metallica, really, but I think those two would work really well.
Also, any competent mix of the 5 And Justice for All stems with Jason Newsted's bass guitar in the mix - surround or not. I've heard decent stabs at it and it isn't funny how much better those songs are with his bass.

You did a nice job on Dance With My Father...I just wish Luther Vandross would have done all the songs himself...Busta Rhymes and Foxy Brown aren't my cup of tea...when I put that disc in I play "if I didn't know better" multiple times...it's the only surround disc available with Luther....I love a lot of his music(y)

Me too. Luther was a great guy who I was fortunate enough to work with several times.
Not only was he a great guy, but his team (Ray Bardani, Marcus Miller, Fonzi Thorton...), were as super talented as they were nice.
There was no better session to work on than a backing vocals date on a Luther album.
Lot's of fun. Hard work. GREAT people.

As for DWMF... I cry almost every time I hear that song.
It was a true honor to work on that 5.1 mix.

Me too. Luther was a great guy who I was fortunate enough to work with several times.
Not only was he a great guy, but his team (Ray Bardani, Marcus Miller, Fonzi Thorton...), were as super talented as they were nice.
There was no better session to work on than a backing vocals date on a Luther album.
Lot's of fun. Hard work. GREAT people.

As for DWMF... I cry almost every time I hear that song.
It was a true honor to work on that 5.1 mix.

You should be proud...that was his crowning achievement...4 Grammy awards...and also his last studio work...I remember how surprised I was to hear of his death...54 years old...I knew he battled diabetes and his weight problems..but I thought he had it under control...another talent that left us too soon..

Back