Individual Songs You'd Love To Hear In Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This Charming Man - The Smiths
Before the Bullfight - David Sylvian
The Garden - John Foxx
Farmer in the City - Scott Walker

You can hear for yourself right here: Billy-Joel-Essential-Video-Collection

All the songs on this collection were mixed in 5.1 by Thom except for the tracks from The Stranger and 52nd Street, which were the mixes from the respective SACDs.

Thanks!!

I did manage to track this DVD down and the surround version of "The Longest Time" is everything I wanted it to be! The lead vocal is mostly centered and different harmonies are mixed to all four corners, just like I hoped!

Thanks ThomC for the awesome mix! Highly recommended.

Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 12.33.10 AM.png

Three months ago, at the suggestion of a QQ member, I purchased an Involve Audio Surround Master. First I listened to all my favorite SQ albums such as the Dark Side of the Moon and I was blown away by the separation and the overall effect.

Then last night it occurred to me to try other 70s albums over the decoder, but with just Spotify as source. I looked up a few web sites for inspiration and tried 5-6 suggested albums. By far the most successful was Kraftwerk’s Autobahn. I have read elsewhere that such effects may be “pseudo quad” but after a few listens, I am convinced that the source of this stereo stream on Spotify must be an SQ original: the swerling of the voices from speaker to speaker sounded way to purposeful to be random. Other suggested albums like Band on the Run and a few Santanas were firmly hung between the front speakers without much of a surround effect.

I would love to find out other members’ experiences and of other albums that seem to work well on the Surround Master.

Three months ago, at the suggestion of a QQ member, I purchased an Involve Audio Surround Master. First I listened to all my favorite SQ albums such as the Dark Side of the Moon and I was blown away by the separation and the overall effect.

Then last night it occurred to me to try other 70s albums over the decoder, but with just Spotify as source. I looked up a few web sites for inspiration and tried 5-6 suggested albums. By far the most successful was Kraftwerk’s Autobahn. I have read elsewhere that such effects may be “pseudo quad” but after a few listens, I am convinced that the source of this stereo stream on Spotify must be an SQ original: the swerling of the voices from speaker to speaker sounded way to purposeful to be random. Other suggested albums like Band on the Run and a few Santanas were firmly hung between the front speakers without much of a surround effect.

I would love to find out other members’ experiences and of other albums that seem to work well on the Surround Master.
There was a Q8 of this title...

- “Peg”:

I doubt I’m alone on this one. To hear MM’s backing vocals neatly separated out and blasting from the rears would be pretty awesome. Based on ES's other SD mixing work, there's probably a good chance it would've been presented that way.[/QUOTE]

That is exactly how it it sounds through the Surround Master! MM's "PEG" shouts very distinctly from the rears.

That is exactly how it it sounds through the Surround Master! MM's "PEG" shouts very distinctly from the rears.

I have an upmix (Specweb i think?) of the Aja album, so I never thought to try the involve decoding. Will definitely check that out, especially since I just found a Portuguese copy of that LP at a local record store.

Yowsah! I never owned an old-school quad setup, but did manage to hear a few examples back in the day. They Only Come Out At Night was one of them, and I still remember it distinctly. The recent Rick Derringer releases have renewed my hope that we may see some of these other titles again.

Last edited:
As for surround singles, I'm also gonna cheat and suggest Todd Rundgren's "A Treatise On Cosmic Fire" which is a single piece (with several movements) that comprises Side 2 of the Initiation album. I dearly love it in stereo, but a good surround mix of this could be 30 minutes of absolute WTHF.

Hmmmm...when I think of individual tracks I have songs in mind, that have high potential for a surround treatment.

The rainbow / Eden /Desire - Talk Talk
The voice - Alan Parsons
Isis morning I & II - Brand X
Blackstar - David Bowie
She's got to be somewhere - David Crosby
View from the hill - Fish
Run daddy run - Fun Lovin' Criminals
One more astronaut - I Mother Earth
Dr. Heckyll & Mr. Jive - Men At Work
Earth Song - Michael Jackson
Gullible's travel - Motorpsycho
The rhythm of the saints - Paul Simon
The numbers - Radiohead
The great nothing - Spock's Beard
Aja - Steely Dan
Brother where you bound - Supertramp
The Pot - Tool
Jack Luminous - Voivod
Down in the cockpit - XTC
Awaken - Yes

Ooh! Ooh! Mister Kotter!

"Life Is Just A Game," the grand finale from Stanley Clarke's School Days, featuring Billy Cobham on drums and George Duke on keyboards. And this one might actually be out there somewhere!! Oh man oh man...

I would love to find out other members’ experiences and of other albums that seem to work well on the Surround Master.[/QUOTE]

Early AC/DC !!!

Back