Individual Songs You'd Love To Hear In Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, this one exists.
I know because I mixed it.

So, this is my first post here.... I'm also on the Steve Hoffman forum under the same name.

Anywho, I've always been a fan of Billy Joel and especially the 5.1 mixes we've gotten on the SACDs and DVDs.

My questions are for ThomC....

1. If you mixed Innocent Man into 5.1, why did they only use 2.0 for the SACD?
2. Any chance of a quadraphonic SACD release of Turnstiles?
3. Have you also mixed his Long Island concert into 5.1 and when can we expect to see that? :)

Thanks

My questions are for ThomC....

1. If you mixed Innocent Man into 5.1, why did they only use 2.0 for the SACD?
2. Any chance of a quadraphonic SACD release of Turnstiles?

I'm not ThomC, but I think I can answer these two questions.

First off, I don't think ThomC mixed all of Innocent Man, he just did the song "The Longest Time" which is available in truly discrete 5.1 on the Video Hits Collection DVD.

Turnstiles was released as a 2.0 SACD from MoFi which probably "quadblocked" it from being released by AF when they were doing Quad SACDs, such as BJ's Streetlife Serenade. I suppose it's possible licensing rules vary when it comes to international companies, so maybe a reissue house such as Sony Japan or Dutton-Vocalion could release it. I agree it would be a great release, especially since no discrete version exists (only SQ vinyl :( ).

First off, I don't think ThomC mixed all of Innocent Man, he just did the song "The Longest Time" which is available in truly discrete 5.1 on the Video Hits Collection DVD.

Turnstiles was released as a 2.0 SACD from MoFi which probably "quadblocked" it from being released by AF when they were doing Quad SACDs, such as BJ's Streetlife Serenade. I suppose it's possible licensing rules vary when it comes to international companies, so maybe a reissue house such as Sony Japan or Dutton-Vocalion could release it. I agree it would be a great release, especially since no discrete version exists (only SQ vinyl :( ).

Gotcha

Oh, also....

It sounds like an alternate vocal track was used for the 5.1 mix of "She's Always A Woman" on The Stranger SACD. Yes??

On a side note....

I wish there was a version of Honesty where the string section really stood out. I tried isolating them using Audacity, but it didn't do much.

Too bad UMixit never worked out.

What?! “The Longest Time” in discrete 5.1?! Are the vocals spread out discretely? Please tell me your thought on the mix :)

Thanks!!

I did manage to track this DVD down and the surround version of "The Longest Time" is everything I wanted it to be! The lead vocal is mostly centered and different harmonies are mixed to all four corners, just like I hoped!

Thanks ThomC for the awesome mix! Highly recommended.

View attachment 32393

Wow, what a tracklisting:

1 Program Start
2 Piano Man
3 All For Leyna
4 Tell Her About It
5 Honesty
6 Sometimes A Fantasy
7 The Night Is Still Young
8 Pressure
9 My Life
10 Keeping The Faith
11 A Matter Of Trust
12 You're Only Human (Second Wind)
13 Everybody Loves You Now
14 Uptown Girl
15 You May Be Right
16 Big Shot
17 The Longest Time
18 Allentown
19 Los Angelenos
20 It's Still Rock And Roll To Me
21 Baby Grand

Bonus Videos
22 She's Right On Time
23 Goodnight Saigon (Live)
24 Leave A Tender Moment Alone (Live)
25 James
26 Credits

A few random '80s jams:

- "Turn Me Loose," Loverboy
- "Talk To Ya Later," The Tubes
- "Major Tom (Völlig Losgelöst)," Peter Schilling
- "Higher Love," Steve Winwood
- "Flying In A Blue Dream," Joe Satriani

Really, I'd like the opportunity to mix all their music into surround—I know these guys personally—but "So Long, Santa Monica" by Family Photo would be a stunner in 5.1:

[MEDIA]

This is my absolute dream Album:
Every track has enough musical information for a nice surround mix.

1. Gullible's Travails - Motorpsycho
2. Awaken - Yes
3. Zess - Magma
4. Down in the cockpit - XTC
5. Aja - Steely Dan
6. Jack Luminous - Voivod
7. Secret messages - ELO
8. Fool's overture - Supertramp
9. Reign in blood - Slayer
10. The voice - Alan Parsons
11. Crush - Dave Matthews Band
12. 6:00 - Dream Theater
13. Hypnotized - Fleetwood Mac
14. Moonchild - Iron Maiden
15. Earth song - Michael Jackson
16. The rhythm of the saints - Paul Simon
17. The numbers - Radiohead
18. The great nothing - Spock's Beard
19. Shadows in the rain - Sting
20. The rainbow, eden, desire - Talk Talk

I love this song and was bopping along to it earlier... :dance

B-52's - "Love Shack"

There's a lot of whooping, cheers and clapping that would sound spectacular in the rears!!! And 360 panning when everybody's moving around and around and around and around...

My jukebox money is ready! :phones

I love this song and was bopping along to it earlier... :dance

B-52's - "Love Shack"

There's a lot of whooping, cheers and clapping that would sound spectacular in the rears!!! And 360 panning when everybody's moving around and around and around and around...

My jukebox money is ready! :phones

Delighted this song has now got a surround mix! Thanks to @mkt for the heads up. The Atmos mix is great! :)

Ok well let's toss another coin in the QQ wishing well... 🤞

It Bites - "Calling All The Heroes"

Always liked this song and you could have some nice moments with the double tracked vocal. And some great crazy surround effects from the instrumental break just after the middle.

Reactions: SHB
The Waterboys - Whole of the Moon
Midnight Oil - Beds are Burning
Style Council - Internationalists

From a few of my favorite 80s albums. I would prefer the entire albums, but these are top songs.

Back