INXS - "Kick" (30th anniversary edition with Dolby Atmos mix coming soon!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s the Atmos DR rating, Gene. The one Posted at the DR database is the stereo version on the BD.

Again, maybe so. If yes, then it's still listed wrong. Because the Atmos is the one that is 24/48 and the Stereo is 24/96....OOPS....Stereo 24/96 is on REM...lol! Now I'm getting mixed up.

Well, well, well!

I’m now sitting here listening to the Atmos tracks for the first time. Appearantly, I had a setting that needed to be changed in the settings of my brand new Sony player and I was listening to the regular Dolby TrueHD tracks previously. :slap:

Now that I’m listening to the correct Atmos track, it sound incredible! I like the mix on the Dolby TrueHD track but feel it’s too darn bright. Not so with the Atmos tracks at all on my system. The sound and mix is fantastic and I will be playing this one a lot!!

Well, well, well!

I’m now sitting here listening to the Atmos tracks for the first time. Appearantly, I had a setting that needed to be changed in the settings of my brand new Sony player and I was listening to the regular Dolby TrueHD tracks previously. :slap:

yeah, it took me a while to figure out that in order to listen to any atmos mix on my Pioneer SC-97 I had to go to "Listening Mode" and then "Rendering Mode" and change it from "Legacy" to "Object".

I then have to switch back to "Legacy" to listen to any 7.1 (or 5.1) when listening to any non-atmos mix or the receiver will switch to "Dolby Surround" which is the (new) upmixer in the Pioneer to simulate "atmos" (that replaces ProLogic II)

This Sony player has a setting in the menu called BD Audio Mix Setting. It gives you a choice to turn it on/off and states that it’s to Set Whether to Mix Interactive Audio and Output and says to set it to off to Output the Dolby and DTS Hi-Res tracks in bitstream mode which you must for Dolby Atmos sake. I hope this helps others that have these Ultra HD Sony players. :)

Question - can anyone verify that the LPCM stereo is only 16.48 - that is all Snood is pulling from MAKEMKV and Audiomuxer - the Atmos 7.1 and DD 5.1 are 24.48 but stereo 16.48:yikes huh??

Question - can anyone verify that the LPCM stereo is only 16.48 - that is all Snood is pulling from MAKEMKV and Audiomuxer - the Atmos 7.1 and DD 5.1 are 24.48 but stereo 16.48:yikes huh??

The album was recorded in 48/16. Those sample/bit rates are correct for this release. If you are converting to FLAC looks like all known methods will give 7.1 from the Atmos track. If you can't play 7.1 then check another thread started today on converting Atmos to 5.1 FLAC:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?24036-Converting-Dolby-Atmos-to-5-1-Flac

16 bit vs 24 bit sample size makes absolutely zero difference for music. Music doesn't have sufficient dynamic range for it to matter. 24 bit helps for recording and mixing but it doesn't matter for music delivery.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

16 bit vs 24 bit sample size makes absolutely zero difference for music. Music doesn't have sufficient dynamic range for it to matter. 24 bit helps for recording and mixing but it doesn't matter for music delivery.

Yes its an ongoing debate. I'm not sure I can tell any audible difference between sampling rates 96/48 or bitrates from same source (with 60yo ears)

And then there's the guy who has offered $50,000 for anyone who can tell the difference between amplifiers (double blind test with volumes same). No one has claimed the cash.

Yes its an ongoing debate. I'm not sure I can tell any audible difference between sampling rates 96/48 or bitrates from same source (with 60yo ears)

And then there's the guy who has offered $50,000 for anyone who can tell the difference between amplifiers (double blind test with volumes same). No one has claimed the cash.

Yes, it is certainly an ongoing debate. I personally believe recording at 96k/24bit (or higher) is far more important than the delivery format. If the recording was done at lower sample sizes and sample rates, then there is no point in up-sampling.

A bit more info on the topic of sample sizes (16 bit vs 24 bit) from Mark Waldrep (Dr AIX). In these posts Mark argues for recording in 24 bit:
http://www.realhd-audio.com/?p=922
http://www.realhd-audio.com/?p=1020

I happen to agree. Recording at 24 bit is absolutely the right thing to do.

More technical details on the subject:
http://www.realhd-audio.com/?p=3377
https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/15121729-audio-myth-24-bit-audio-has-more-resolution-than-16-bit-audio

These articles are arguing the benefits of digital audio over analog, and trying to debunk some myths about digital audio. They also explain that using 24 bits gives a better SNR (141dB) over 16-bit (93dB). 24bit is capable of capturing much more dynamic range than 16 bit. But, modern music has very little dynamic range. 24 bits is not needed to deliver it accurately.

Very sorry for going off topic. My last sentence is an attempt to get us back on track....

I've read that "Kick" was recorded at 16 bit, so 16 bit delivery is acceptable. It is also not a terribly dynamic recording (especially the remaster), so once again 16 bit is acceptable. Don't stress that the stereo mix is 16 bit on the bluray. :)

Maybe it's my setup but... when played through my blu-ray player + (non-Atmos) Receiver the downmix to 5.0 sounds loud, compressed near distortion and rather bright. When I rip the disc and do the downmix myself through sox or ffmpeg, via mixing the side channels into the rear and a little into the front, the distortion is all gone, the mix sounds more clear than bright but I also have to turn up the amp by at least 8db to reach something similar to my usual listening volume.
Also, somebody mentioned above that Kick sounds much better once the amp is in Atmos/object mode. When the channels on their own sound just fine and the Atmos mix sounds good as well, I wonder if there's something weird going on with (some?) receivers which are unable to decode Atmos and mess up the downmix. I know that DVD-Audio supports downmix parameters from 5.1 to 2.0, don't know about TrueHD - but maybe the downmix parameters are not optimal?

Btw the Kraftwerk 3D Atmos disc played from my computer sounds quite different from my receiver's downmix as well (and also requires me to turn up the amp) so the difference itself is not limited to the INXS disc. That said, the Kraftwerk disc sounds absolutely amazing through my stand-alone player and receiver - and I haven't yet figured out how to recreate that downmix. I have a feeling there could be some cancelling out going on but I know too little about that to even have an idea on how approach the issue. Next week I should have two additional Atmos discs (R.E.M. and Booka Shade) to play with. Let's see how they behave.

This album sounds absolutely perfect on my system. Really nice, discrete, active mix... I'm really glad to hear such a great mix from Giles (I was a little disappointed with the Sgt. Pepper mix)... this reaffirms that we have (hopefully) more good mixes to look forward to! I don't hear any distortion whatsoever, and it doesn't sound loud to me. I'm listening to the 7.1 mixed down to 5.1 using Audacity.

Hrm.

I am listening to the TrueHD 7.1 downmix (through a 5.1 system) converted using DVD AE and do not mind the level of brightness, and the mix itself sounds great. I have owned the original album for many years so perhaps the general sound was expected. However, the bass, particularly in the opener Guns in the Sky... it's overblown and irritating, not sure if it is merely too dominant in the mix or over-compressed or both...! No such issue with Roger Water's The Wall downmix.

Great packaging, selection and price set, though!

To clarify, I think the manual 5.1 played through a computer sounds really great. A very tasteful, discreet mix, a tiny bit on the bright side but absolutely nothing to complain about especially considering this is a mid 80s production. Only the low volume compared to other mixes is weird. Does anyone else have this issue?
Now, when played "the way it was intended" via standalone Blu-ray player and the same non-Atmos receiver, the mix is really loud and really bright. That's what confuses me. I haven't experienced something like this with any other disc/surround format.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Apples to Oranges comparison.
Take a hi resolution file and convert it to both 16/44.1 and 24/48 DTS using Surcode. One sounds much better. Not looking for an argument just that it makes you go hmm...

Take a hi resolution file and convert it to both 16/44.1 and 24/48 DTS using Surcode. One sounds much better. Not looking for an argument just that it makes you go hmm...

DTS is lossy. How about taking a hires file and converting to FLAC at both 16/44.1 and 24/48?

Stupid authoring error, the chapter marks are off on this disc.

If you go the Audio playlist and choose "Devil Inside" you get "..asation..." before the track starts. Same thing with New Sensation, last second or two of Guns in the Sky plays first.

If you are ripping the blu-ray your tracks will be off, you'll need to split them manually. Lame.

Stupid authoring error, the chapter marks are off on this disc.

If you go the Audio playlist and choose "Devil Inside" you get "..asation..." before the track starts. Same thing with New Sensation, last second or two of Guns in the Sky plays first.

If you are ripping the blu-ray your tracks will be off, you'll need to split them manually. Lame.

Thanks for the info. My Kodi media player plays gapless so hadn't noticed as I just played the whole album.

Am I ever going to get this ? I am looking forward to this release more than any other in 2017, it's gonna be great, but every day I check my mail box and the letter does not arrive from my love, oop's that's another story.

I'm not sure I understand. Which sounds better? The DTS? I agree it is strange if the compressed DTS sounds better. What was the original hi-res source? 24bit/96k? My guess it is the conversion from 96k that is the culprit. Converting from 96k to 48k is a much easier conversion than to 44.1. Perhaps try converting to both 24/48k and 16/48k. I expect you won't notice a difference unless dithering is poorly implemented in your DAC.

Don't misunderstand my previous comments. I prefer all my music hi-resolution and uncompressed if it was handled correctly from recording through mastering. I was just trying to explain that 24 bit isn't necessarily better, and a 24 bit sample size isn't necessary with most modern music which is absent of dynamic range. However, if it was recorded, mixed and mastered at 24bit, then I'd prefer to avoid the conversion and have it delivered to me at 24bit too.

Sadly, I've bought too much music from hdtracks that sounds no better, and many times way worse, than CDs I already own. High res does not always equals better sound quality.

Again, sorry for being off topic.

I'm not sure I understand. Which sounds better? The DTS? I agree it is strange if the compressed DTS sounds better. What was the original hi-res source? 24bit/96k? My guess it is the conversion from 96k that is the culprit. Converting from 96k to 48k is a much easier conversion than to 44.1. Perhaps try converting to both 24/48k and 16/48k. I expect you won't notice a difference unless dithering is poorly implemented in your DAC.

Don't misunderstand my previous comments. I prefer all my music hi-resolution and uncompressed if it was handled correctly from recording through mastering. I was just trying to explain that 24 bit isn't necessarily better, and a 24 bit sample size isn't necessary with most modern music which is absent of dynamic range. However, if it was recorded, mixed and mastered at 24bit, then I'd prefer to avoid the conversion and have it delivered to me at 24bit too.

Sadly, I've bought too much music from hdtracks that sounds no better, and many times way worse, than CDs I already own. High res does not always equals better sound quality.

Again, sorry for being off topic.

I was just comparing my own DTS conversions from one hires file. One to 16/44.1 (DTS CD) and one to 24/48 (DTS DVD).

The DTS DVD sounds 100 times better. Just an apple to orange comparison that I did myself using the same hires file.

Just an interesting little test. Try it if you have surcode in your audio tool bag.

Also...I have done this with 88.2 hires files too with the same outcome, even ripped SACDs.

Back